SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Flying Scot #4964

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  primerate84 
#1 ·
It has been a busy 2 1/2 weeks! I had been looking seriously for a boat only since the start of August. Top of my list ended up being a Flying Scot. Well, one sort of fell into my lap due to some email inquiries I had made. The note came to me on my way out the door to drop one of my sons off at school, I was taking a little time off before starting my new job so I had some time, off I drove to the see the boat with my youngest in the car. A quick look told me this was a good boat for the price. That afternoon I discussed it with the First Mate and she agreed. A quick call to the owner and we were set to meet her that Saturday. The boat is from 1994 but had only been sailed around a dozen times. The last few years (probably 5+) it had not left the trailer. Luckily it was covered the whole time. Therefore, the cover is in bad shape, the hull is weathered and needs a good scrubbing, and the trailer needed a new winch, coupler, bearings, and tires. Agreed to buy and immediately pulled the bearings and coupler. That week spent the time getting the hitch on the minivan, the bearing races replaced, etc (and started my new job). Met the seller during the week to complete the transaction. Then back to the storage yard last Sunday to put on the bearings, unstep the mast, and haul the boat home. All hot and sweaty work but it is now home and in the garage (barely fits). The trailer is now 95% ready for serious action (just need to get spare tire fixed). The boat still needs a wash, polish, and a deep gouge on the hull patched. A couple of the lines are in the washer right now getting the moss off of them. OK, enough yacking, here are pictures (I hope SD's post was right)...

and finally me next to the boat (notice the bare axle).

I know you would all rather see boats on the water but until I get a small tear in the mainsail repaired I won't be on the water.

See less See more
#3 ·
Congrats. We owned #4188 for many years. Truly a great boat. A little wet at times but it will handle anything.

#4 ·
I never sailed a FlyingScot but there are quite a few at our club up on the Hudson River and they seem to perform quite well on the water (with some wind) like my 19' Lightning. I think and hope that you will enjoy it.
Your boat (or should I say 'sailing dinghy'?) sounds newer than my Lightning so you probably have less maintenance to do. Focus on the essentials when it comes to maintenance; the trailer, hull scratches, center board, running rigging and rudder (I am assuming that the sails and battens are ok).
Are you planning to 'dry sail' her? If so, a new cover or more tarps may just do the trick for now.
Is there a spinnaker and pole, vang and all the stuff a racing boat thinks it needs to have or do you just plan on doing some relaxed sailing?
Congrats and good luck.

#6 ·
You hit the nail on the head, once I get her cleaned up and looking decent (yesterday was powerwashing day and she came out looking alot better) it will be time to polish the deck and topsides, patch the hull scratch and then she should be ready for some water.
There is one rip in the main sail that needs a patch, the spinnaker, pole, vang, cunningham, etc are all in place and I believe are functional (have yet to rig her so not sure).
Initial plan is relaxed family sailing, eventual plan is to lure the wife and kids into playing crew in local races...

#5 ·
Congratulations

A lightly-used Scot of that vintage should give you years of pleasure, and very few maintenance and upgrade concerns. Enjoy it ... it's a great family boat. If you have questions after you've gotten her in the water, feel free to drop me a note.

Kurt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.