SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Who knows this boat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/47773-who-knows-boat.html)

albertomallen 10-06-2008 01:48 PM

Who knows this boat

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,
I want to purchase this 1982 US sailing boat and I would like to have more information about he manufacturer. Here in Spain, it is not possible to find any info.
The boat may have 42.5" lenght and 12.2" beam
Somebody knows more things about it?
Alberto

sailingdog 10-06-2008 06:42 PM

Do you have a HIN number. That would at least tell us what make and model the boat is... The HIN number should be marked on the starboard side of the transom.

albertomallen 10-07-2008 07:33 AM

There is no HIN nš, this boat has been captured by the spanish custom in the year 2003, I only know the name "Shambhala" and the registry "657311 WICKFORD RI" in 1982.
It was under US flag.
It will be sold in a auction at the end of the month.

Joesaila 10-07-2008 07:52 AM

Even the feds don't have builder but they do have the hull number v

Vessel Name: SHAMBHALA USCG Doc. No.: 657311
Vessel Service: RECREATIONAL IMO Number: *
Trade Indicator: Recreational Call Sign: *
Hull Material: FRP (FIBERGLASS) Hull Number: BVA432290882
Ship Builder: * Year Built: 1982

Length (ft.): 42.5
Hailing Port: WICKFORD RI Hull Depth (ft.): 5.5
Owner: Hull Breadth (ft.): 12.2
Gross Tonnage: 14
Net Tonnage: 12
Documentation Issuance Date: November 03, 2003 Documentation Expiration Date: November 30, 2004

Previous Vessel Names: RUNNING ON EMPTY
Previous Vessel Owner

sailingdog 10-07-2008 07:55 AM

According to the USCG Documentation lookup site:

<table class="results" border="1" rules="all" width="100%"><caption>
</caption> <tbody><tr> <td align="right" width="24%">Vessel Name:</td> <td width="24%">SHAMBHALA</td> <td rowspan="11" class="gray" width="1%"> </td> <td align="right" width="24%">USCG Doc. No.:</td> <td width="24%">657311</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right">Vessel Service:</td> <td>RECREATIONAL</td> <td align="right">IMO Number:</td> <td>*</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right">Trade Indicator:</td> <td>Recreational</td> <td align="right">Call Sign:</td> <td>*</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right">Hull Material:</td> <td>FRP (FIBERGLASS)</td> <td align="right">Hull Number:</td> <td>BVA432290882</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right">Ship Builder:</td> <td>*</td> <td align="right">Year Built:</td> <td>1982</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right">
</td> <td>
</td> <td align="right">Length (ft.):</td> <td>42.5</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right">Hailing Port:</td> <td>WICKFORD RI</td> <td align="right">Hull Depth (ft.):</td> <td>5.5</td> </tr> <tr> <td rowspan="3" align="right">Owner:</td> <td rowspan="3"> </td> <td align="right">Hull Breadth (ft.):</td> <td>12.2</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right">Gross Tonnage:</td> <td>14</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right">Net Tonnage:</td> <td>12</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right">Documentation Issuance Date:</td> <td>November 03, 2003</td> <td align="right">Documentation Expiration Date:</td> <td>November 30, 2004</td> </tr> <tr> </tr> <tr> <td>Previous Vessel Names:</td> <td> RUNNING ON EMPTY
</td> <td class="gray"> </td> <td>Previous Vessel Owners:</td> <td> GARY E MILLER
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

The HIN BVA432290882, indicates that it was produced by Barre Boats, but this is probably in error... it is probably foreign built and using a MIC code issued by someone other than the USCG. I doubt it was built by Barre Boats, since the description of the company says that it wasn't founded until 1985, and that it produced mainly small work boats.

BTW, interpreting the HIN, see here.

More on HIN's here. Given the BVA MIC code, I'm guessing the boat was actually built in the Far East or Europe and then imported into the United States.

JohnRPollard 10-07-2008 01:07 PM

Joesaila, SD,

All good info. One thing I'll add is that the USCG will recycle HIN builder codes if a builder has shut down.

If we could find a list of recycled builder codes, or an HIN registry from the early '80s, we should be able to give this fellow an answer.

ckgreenman 10-07-2008 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnRPollard (Post 380914)
Joesaila, SD,

All good info. One thing I'll add is that the USCG will recycle HIN builder codes if a builder has shut down.

If we could find a list of recycled builder codes, or an HIN registry from the early '80s, we should be able to give this fellow an answer.

Very true. My old sabot (1974) says right on it (stamped into the wood) that it was built by Melcraft in Costa Mesa California yet the builder code in the HIN (MEL) comes up as Dixie Boats LTD in Newton, NC (right up the road from me oddly enough).

sailingdog 10-07-2008 05:28 PM

It's actually pretty stupid IMHO to recycle HIN MICs. But with three places and 26 letters, you only have about 17000 total combinations.
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnRPollard (Post 380914)
Joesaila, SD,

ckgreenman 10-07-2008 10:14 PM

You'd think that when they ran out of letters they would have added a place.instead of recycling. That's what they're doing with IP addresses :)

sailingdog 10-14-2008 11:17 AM

Technically, they're adding TWO places. :) IPv4 vs. IPv6. :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckgreenman (Post 381212)
You'd think that when they ran out of letters they would have added a place.instead of recycling. That's what they're doing with IP addresses :)