Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2008

BlueWaterMD is on a distinguished road
Water Damage

I am looking at a boat that has been neglected for the past 6 months or so. Apparantly the scuppers got clogged and water somehow found its way into the boat (apparantly through the companionway). The bilge filled completely and the water rose above the cabin sole (for an unknown period of time). The boat was dried out and is now covered. There might have also been some leaking through deck fittings and toe rail which were sealed with silicone sealant (not marine caulk).

The boat in question is a Quickstep 24. I have not seen this boat in person yet, as it is 3 hours away. I also understand that a professional survey is absolutely necessary, especially on a boat with such a history. Do you think it is even worth looking at this boat, or do the potential problems make it too much of a risk?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
If no water was leaking out of the cabin after the water intake, you know she floats. all fun aside. Be careful of a boat that sat full of water, it is a dangerous thing. Until you see the boat you don't how high the water was.
Old 10-08-2008

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Your brief description makes it sound like it could have significant core saturation in the deck and elsewhere not to mention whatever other problems. given the huge uncertainty, I'd suggest you NOT hire a surveyor until such time as you can personally inspect the boat. You could likely find it might not be worth the cost of a survey.
Old 10-08-2008

BlueWaterMD is on a distinguished road
K1 - I will definitely see the boat first. I am just wondering if I should even take the drive to see the boat, or just forget about it completely.
Old 10-08-2008
Pearson 31-2 #80 ('87)

Delirious is on a distinguished road
Never hurts to look. We've been making 300 to 600 mile trips all through August, September and now into October to look at used boats. If the water hasn't invaded the core or hull the worst case is cosmetics and that can be to your advantage in a used boat IF you are willing to replace some plywood or have an agreeable (and affordable) yard or woodfitter to work with.

If you're looking for a "turn-key" nice boat that needs no work this may not be the one. A surveyor will estimate the costs of repair and will set you back around $400 for that boat (some have a minimum charge that is more than that).

If the sails are good, and the engine (inboard?) is good, and any electronics are good, and the rigging is good, and you find the water got in due to a simple fix . . . it could be a very affordable boat.
Charlie P. P31-2 #80 CATNAP

To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive - R.L. Stevenson

I suspect that, if you should go to the end of the world, you would find somebody there going farther . . . - H.D. Thoreau
Old 10-08-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
For a 24 foot, no. Look elsewhere unless it's free, and the seller already has a recent insurance type survey.
Old 10-08-2008
Charter Captain

Location: Buffalo, NY (warm months), Liveaboard in Caribbean (cold months)
harryrezz is on a distinguished road
If it is really, REALLY cheap and you have a day to kill, go have a look ... but if the price isn't REALLY low, forget it and move on.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Located Southern Caribbean
Old 10-08-2008

merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
If the price is right, and it's a boat you're interested in I'd say look at it

Having looked at and bought too many boats at 'firesale prices, I've found that most people's idea of 'totally trashed' is about the same as my idea of 'needs a good cleaning'

Ken.
Old 10-08-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Wires got wet? ouch
engine got wet? ouch
Trans got wet? ouch
panelling got wet? ouch
Pumps got wet? ouch

are you a glutton for punishment? ouch

take the problems you do see and multiply by at least 4 to get an idea of what you face
Old 10-08-2008
Pearson 31-2 #80 ('87)

Delirious is on a distinguished road
He said "the water rose above the cabin sole". Not the Nav station! ;-) Engine probably never got wet at all.

Below is a 1964 Thistle that was full of rotted wood and pigeon poo from sitting in a leaky lean-to horse shelter. Sat unused for over 15 YEARS! The father of the owner was a Thistle racer and it passed to the son upon his early & unexpected demise. I'm not kidding when I say I shoveled out the pigeon and mouse droppings and shredded sail bag & spinnaker turtle nests and they weighed more than the hull did. You could pull carrot sized pieces of rotted ash strips off the gunnels with no effort at all. Luckily the three suits of sails and two spinnakers were stored in the house attic. I paid $600 including the 1952 Springfield trailer that looked like the landing gear from a Grumman Wildcat. The owner had purchased a new $800 mast and solid wire rigging sometime before thinking he would restore it but never did & that is why I was interested at all.

I stripped it to bare fiberglass (one of the first D&M fiberglass hulls) and redid the wood - 80% replacement.

I raced it for six years or so and eventually sold it for more that I paid and even recouped the cost of materials. But nowhere near the cost of my labor. Kept me busy for six-months of winter weekends - including putting in maybe 600 brass wood screws into the five-part bent ash gunnels by hand after the rechargeable screwdrived burnt out.

Point is there is almost no fiberglass sailboat that can't be reclaimed with enough time and patience or funds.

Charlie P. P31-2 #80 CATNAP

To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive - R.L. Stevenson

I suspect that, if you should go to the end of the world, you would find somebody there going farther . . . - H.D. Thoreau