Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2002

STEVEinCA is on a distinguished road
new or used

There are numerous sailing schools/charter clubs throughout Southern California.They teach from basic sailing to offshore passagemaking. I learned to sail 5 years ago through one of these organizations and still charter boats with them. It is a great way to learn and gain experience before putting down the cash on your own boat. Its also a great way to get input from others when my many questions arise.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2002

magnusmurphy is on a distinguished road
new or used

Just to continue the "safety of power vs sail" debate, I''d like to add my two cents.

Just this week a large fishing boat overturned just off Vancouver in choppy conditions and five people drowned (including the wife and two children of the skipper). All those that drowned were trapped in the hull that stayed inverted.

The skipper was a very experienced professional.

Although I certainly don''t know a lot of the detail, I think it is fair to say that this will not happen with most sailboats, except if the keel fell off, or if it is one of those broad downwind racing sleds. Sailboats will only roll in extreme conditions, certainly not in that which was encountered when this power boat overturned.

M. Murphy
Old 08-18-2002

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
new or used

We sailors donít always give power boaters their due. We often say that anyone who can drive a car can drive a power boat, but thatís not really true. Power boats operate in a fluid environment, and automobiles do not. For that reason, you canít just operate a power boat in the same way that you would operate a car. For example, if your car is parked at the curb, and a cross-wind is blowing towards the curb, you just put the car in forward gear and pull out. If your power boat is alongside a dock, and a cross-wind is blowing towards the dock, you canít just put the transmission in forward gear and pull out. If you do, the wind will hold the boat against the dock, scraping the side of the boat along the dock. You have to know how to get away from the dock. Likewise, if you are operating in a confined space, you have to know how to rotate a fixed-prop power boat. Power boaters have to learn right-of-way rules, how to anchor securely and how to navigate visually and with electronic aids. You can operate a power boat without knowing all these things, but after you embarrass or scare yourself a time or two, you will take the time and make the effort to learn. People who operate small power boats tend to be less knowledgeable and skilled than those who operate bigger power boats, because we generally learn in small boats, and then move up to bigger boats.
Old 08-22-2002

halyardz is on a distinguished road
new or used

But large powerboat owners don''t, percentage-wise, have any more sense of courtesy regarding their wakes than do the weekend
warriors.