Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2008
Francophobe

TheFrog is on a distinguished road
I recently completed a similar search. There are a large number of boats in that size range that are nice day sailers. As you are picking up, it all depends on how willing the captain and crew are to get wet. Personally I was leaning towards the Buccaneer but after taking a lot of advice both on this board and off, I settled on a Scot. Reasons include the fact that it is stable but still fairly nimble, easy to trailer, fits in the garage, and it is a sit-in rather than sit-on design.

A couple of boats that haven't made this list yet but may be of interest. Unfortunately neither are really raced one design, but both can be raced in mixed fleets. The Boston Whaler Harpoon 5.2 and the Vanguard Nomad.

Quote:
Golf is an exercise in Scottish pointlessness for people who are no longer able to throw telephone poles at each other.
-Florence King

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
's signature.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-17-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcgov View Post

I sail a Buccaneer18, which is also common, also cheep, also simple to rig and quite fast. But it is a BEAST of a boat and I cannot recommend it for new sailors unless they are fully willing to swim a little. If they are, and if they can handle the learning curve, it's a stitch at 500 lbs. Best with two to three people. Chop three feet off the transom, reduce sail area, and you have the Mutineer, altogether better-mannered and available for beer money. Not so much fun as the Bucc, tho!
Take another 1.5 ft. off the the Mutineer and you get the Pirateer with was my first sailboat. They are a blast to sail, easy to handle, but only good for 2 people and stability is about what you'd expect for a 13.5 ft. boat.
Old 10-17-2008
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfarson View Post
I don't think they are looking for a cabin boat/cruiser. Just a small sailboat built for 2 with possibility of a few more on special occasions.
Flying Scot sounds good, is there a lighter version?
Thanks,
Ron
The answer is no. There is no lighter version of the Scot they are built to the same specs for single class racing purposes.

They are very stable for a centerboard -20ft daysailer.

They are difficult to fit for a motor however so if you go Scot plan on relying on sail or oar power only.

A Rhodes Mariner is a sweet alternative and more easily powered. (If necessary)
Old 10-18-2008

mkeChris is on a distinguished road
Depends on what's more important, quick or comfortable. If quick is what you're looking for, you can look at a J/22 or J/24. They have some cabin space and are fun to sail. They are not "beginner boats" per se, but you don't have to use all the controls available. A Merit 25 is a similar class boat that is a bit more comfortable, but also more expensive. These are ideas for quick boats rather than simple straightforward ones.
If comfort and simplicity is what they're after, the Pearson Ensigns are fantastic, sturdy and simple boats.

Visit
for milwaukee and local sailing resources
Old 10-18-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
I might be inclined towards recommending the ComPac if only for the mast tabernacle alone! What is likely to most discourage the new trailer-sailor is the time and effort involved in rigging the mast and launching. Com-Pac's boats are not particularly fast but offer ease of use and a good amount of room for their size. While I and others might be biased towards such as a Cal or San Juan 21 for many reasons, our willingness to deal with tight spaces below decks might not be shared by others.
Old 10-19-2008
Partially hydrated Member

sanjuan2R is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Small trailer-sailor

I might also recommend the San Juan 21 for a small, easily managed trailer-sailer. They only have a 1400# displacement & can handle a spinnaker when you progress upwards in your seamanship. Clark Boat Co. made over 2700 of them; so they are many available. When I sailed one racing, they were pretty fast in comparison to others on the water.

They aren't equal to a J/22 or Melges 24 but could handle competition from some Catalina 22, Hunter 23, Precision 23, Mirage 5.5, and O'Day 22.

SJ 21 have the standard 4 berths and their boats were well built. Just find one that was taken care of and not abused.

S/V Doodles
C&C 27
Old 11-08-2008

Fonkamex is on a distinguished road
I have a Sunfish 14' and it's very easy to sail and transport. This is a "cartoppable" sailboat, so you don't need a trailer
Old 11-09-2008
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road
I sailed my Flying Scott for the first time today. I was very impressed. We picked it up (free, get it out of here) 3 weeks ago. Of course there were some hardware and running rigging issues to sort out and we decided to go out in spite of the small craft warning. I haven't piloted a sailboat in about 9 years and my crew were my wife who has sailed twice before and my 11 year old son who has sailed 3-4 times. It was pretty windy, a solid 15-20 with bigger gusts.
What a great boat! Super stable for such a fast boat, super fast for such a stable boat. We passed everything on the bay, we blew past a couple of daysailers on a broad reach like they were standing still. The boat isn't exactly forgiving per se but I think you'd need to try really hard to capsize it. I made a couple of mistakes but we stayed dry. It's wide enough that when you get hit with a hard gust it will start to lift the rudder out a bit and you round up rather than going over. It will reward you with speed when you get it right but it won't punish you too bad if you don't. Overall a great design. Easy to set up solo, easy to launch, easy to tow, easy to sail, and fun.
Now I'll paint it!
Old 08-09-2009

boats4me is on a distinguished road
Smile Answer for Look of altered Starwind 19

The 83 Starwind 19 was repaired after a hurricane and at that time options
led to combining parts of a Compac with fiberglass work to give the unique
round portlights on either side. Great sailing to everyone !!!
Old 08-09-2009
Advanced beginner

emcentar is on a distinguished road
I'm learning to sail on a Flying Scott and I can definitely recommend it as a good beginner boat for daysailing - lots of fun as well.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.