Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2009

boats4me is on a distinguished road
Samll boat sailing

I'm sure you will enjoy your Flying Scott from a few things I've been reading.
The sailing adventure is all new to me and is something I have always wanted to learn. I believe the starwind19 will be a good staring place for me.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-11-2009

tsuidc is on a distinguished road
I agree with the recommendation of a San Juan 21. Easy to tow, only 1400#. Sails well under light winds, well built and relatively inexpensive. Good for day sailing, one design racing and short cruises. Quite a few one design SJ21 racing fleets around the country. Racing against seasoned sailors is one of the best ways to learn to sail well. We have also cruised ours (many years ago) up the Canadian Gulf Islands and the Inside Passage for three weeks (we are short people). Hardly used the outboard, even picked up moorages at the marine parks under sail. Simple boat, just drop the hook and relax, no worries. Makes people on the large cruisers envious, when you are relaxing and enjoying yourselves, they are spending all their time maintaining their systems and fixing their engines. There is quite a bit of truth in the saying that ones enjoyment on the water is inversely proportional to the size of ones boat. Get a boat that sails well under light winds if you do a lot of summer sailing. If you do look at a San Juan 21, look closely for deck core rot (soft decks).
Old 08-11-2009

casioqv is on a distinguished road
My wife and I have a Catalina 22 that we use for inland lake sailing, and I highly reccomend it. It's light enough to tow easily behind our Volvo station wagon, can be rigged for a day trip on a lake, but has enough cabin space and seaworthyness for overnighting and costal cruising.

Also, you can find them everywhere for very cheap, and they have a good racing community in certain places (depends on where you are).

Overall though, look on Craigslist to see what you can find a good deal on! There's no reason to be set on a certain model. I was looking for any small sailboat, and the C22 is what I happened to find cheaply- but now that I know more about it I think I couldn't have made a better choice!

Last edited by casioqv; 08-11-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-11-2009

Andyman is on a distinguished road
Aquarius 23. Nice little boat. Very easy to singlehand. Nice interior layout. Very trailerable. Two people can raise the mast although three makes it much easier. A great support group on the Yahoo groups. Also, very affordable.
Old 08-14-2009

JackHinks is on a distinguished road
Ideas for Affordable Bluewater Pocket Cruisers

Hello Sailors,
I am interested in an affordable bluewater pocket cruiser. My background is several decades of coastal cruising in pearsons & catalinas. Have done some shorter hops to Tortugas & Bahamas. Want to go sooner rather than later, hence i am going solo and though I like the Flicka, Bristol Channel Cutter, Frances 26, I don't want to blow the whole cruising kitty on 50K on a boat. Several friends mentioned some Brit boats like the Corribee (several have gone transatlantic) and the Newbridge. Anyone have any input on their seaworthiness? I know they are cramped, but I want an affordable boat to get me out there now, not in 10 years driving a seagoing RV.
Thanks