SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Place to Place

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  WHOOSH 
#1 ·
I plan on sailing to many ports , I''m a Marine Electrician , is it possible to find work at different ports , to help me finance my trip .

#2 ·
Domestic ports or Foriegn ports?

If Domestic, I''d guess the only problem would be finding the work (or the work finding you). Personally, when I have someone work on my boat, I like to know they''ll be there the next day and not dissapear over the horizon, but that may just be me. Maybe you could set up a web site that could give customers a virtual ''storefront'' for you, and even a good map that shows where you''re at, or when you''ll be back again.

If Foriegn, unless you have a work permit, it''ll be illegal and you''ll have to work on the sly, which would be difficult because then you won''t have word-of-mouth working too strong for you, and the locals won''t be happy to find you''re taking business away from them.

Random thoughts,

Don

#3 ·
Sail7Nav:

You make it sound like you wish to fund your cruising by occasionally working vs. looking for a new, semi-permanent setting in which to locally sail. How easy/hard it will be to find work won''t be a function of your trade, which is readily marketable IME. Domestically, it will be driven by where you stop and how long you stick around - e.g. getting a job in season in the Ft. Lauderdale area would be relatively easy, while finding work in Beaufort, S.C. or N.C. (two common yachtie stops) might be much harder. Another option is to stop at common ''prep'' and staging areas where cruisers accummulate prior to heading out, or where they come to lick their wounds and need boat repairs done. Examples of this might be Lake Worth or San Diego (before boats head for the islands or Mexico, respectively, and where there are large gatherings of transient boats that are relatively easily accessed by you. You''ll have to go find the work vs. working for an existing business, where the work finds it.

Outside the U.S., it will be driven by how eager the island nation or country is to provide work permits to non-residents (usually they are not), how comfortable you are in working quietly ''under the table'' (with a developing world prison & legal system as a possible consequence of being found out), and/or whether your track takes you into an offshore U.S. commonwealth or territory where you have work rights. Examples of the latter are the U.S. Trust Territories and American Samoa in the South Pacific and Puerto Rico and the USVI in the Caribbean. A great non-U.S. place to find work in the Caribbean is Grand Cayman, where there are hundreds of open positions (many of them boating related) and very few excess workers. Employers pay for the cost of the 6-week work permitting process and even offer retirement plans & health care for non-residents.

Perhaps you could refine your question a bit (where are you headed, how long are your stops, in or outside the U.S.?) to get more helpful answers.

Jack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.