Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2010

cockerline123 is on a distinguished road
useful post. thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-28-2010

gregwet is on a distinguished road
Thanks for this incredibly helpful post.
Old 03-07-2010
Sailor & Member

dantaden is on a distinguished road
I'll share an experience referencing back to sailingdog's list of things to check in a survey - Motor Mounts.

Prior to purchasing our current boat, we made multiple inspections, a trial sail and SAM survey. As a result, came up with a short list of defects for the previous owner to repair prior to sale, and I was very confident in what I knew I purchased.

We have a 72hp Mercedes Diesel engine weighing approx. 640 lbs. The boat was originally fitted with an engine drive compressor for refrigeration. We removed the compressor and opted to re-fit for a battery powered unit.
I believe this was a significant change which resulted in the engine moving forward off its mounts by 3 ˝ inches. Unknown to us at the time, we luckily motored home in this condition without known serious damage. In fact after the initial inspection I had to call a dock buddy for a second opinion because I couldn’t believe what I was seeing.

During the repair we found that 2 of 4 mounts broke long before I bought the boat, realized by traces of rust on the post at the break point. We also believe the old compressor and belt held the engine in place, but by removing it added further pressure on the mounts to the breaking point.

Although this may have been a very difficult defect to find, lessons learned – when buying an older boat, motor mounts would be considered one of the first things to replace, for peace of mind and savings in the long run.

The inspections and surveys paid off – after our first year we had no other problems, the engine purrs, and we are very happy with what we bought.
Old 03-07-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Glad to help guys...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-14-2010

smbragg is on a distinguished road
Thank You

Sailingdog, Appreciate this post and it is very timely. After 20 years of racing small boats, ready to purchase first cruiser. Will re-inspect the vessel again tomorrow and will carry this equipment. Am lucky--boat well maintained and meticulous maintenacne/repair records.

Question--offer is made contingent on succesful survey. Is it customary that seller is responsible for all improvements identified in survey?
Old 04-15-2010

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Many buyers would prefer a dollar adjustment to the price of the boat rather than having the seller do repairs. The seller may be tempted to do the repairs the cheapest possible way while the buyer may want to upgrade a little while doing repairs.
Old 04-15-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
No, typically, any defects found in the survey, if serious, are used to adjust the price. Either the seller adjusts the price, or pays to have the work done, or the deal falls through.

As DavidPM notes, the best and most palatable option for both parties is usually a price adjustment. The seller doesn't usually cover the full price of the repair, and the buyer gets to have the repair done to their satisfaction after taking ownership of the boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbragg View Post
Sailingdog, Appreciate this post and it is very timely. After 20 years of racing small boats, ready to purchase first cruiser. Will re-inspect the vessel again tomorrow and will carry this equipment. Am lucky--boat well maintained and meticulous maintenacne/repair records.

Question--offer is made contingent on succesful survey. Is it customary that seller is responsible for all improvements identified in survey?

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 04-15-2010 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-08-2010

marinelite is on a distinguished road
moisture meter

Would you elaborate on how and where you use a moisture meter?

Thanks

Mike
Old 06-08-2010

marinelite is on a distinguished road
Would you elaborate on how and where to use a moisture meter?

Thanks, Mike
Old 06-12-2010

Diceman is on a distinguished road
Bing a newbee to sailing and the site. The 13 pages of this post have been very helpful as I look for what to look for in the sailboat when I do fine the one I like.
Diceman