Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Knotty-

True, many are far less skilled than those who were boating several decades ago... but if we hope for the masses to return to a shadow of those skilled sailors, we need to start someplace.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Speaking of surveys and to add to the list.

If a boat is interesting enough to you to do all this work, in advance of coming to the boat to begin with - have the owner's last survey sent to you. It can be used as a checklist - and furthermore you can use it with your surveyor (if boat passes your inspection) to verify that previous issues have been addressed. It'll also demonstrate the level of care the PO had with the boat.

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 10-20-2008

edstill is on a distinguished road
Damm! I wish I had read all this 12 hours and 500 miles ago! A saw a winner today, and am making an offer in the morning, but all this would have helped a lot. HALF of this would have helped a lot!

Still, I did giver her a very good looking over - to the best of my ability, and of course the offer will be survey contingent.

Movin' on up, to a deluxe apartment in the sky:
s/v Scudder
O'Day 35
Old 10-20-2008

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Very good thread Dawg, I'll refer to this thread next time I'm in the market for a boat and it will be helpful in keeping up my boat.

But do you ever sleep or work? you posted this at 4am and have been on line all day.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 10-20-2008
Tartan 37C

T37SOLARE is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Yep you must be under their window or had it prior to their changes in yacht Policies..

I too have USAA for everything except for my boat. They will not insure bigger more expensive boats anymore. Mine is insured for 70k agreed and they won't touch it.. I keep asking!! I'm currently with Amica..
My coverage is through USAA, they are now selling Markels "Helmsman Yacht Insurance" on the larger vessels they had stopped covering in-house. My cost from USAA/Markel was 1/3 of what Boat US quoted and is an agreed value policy with twice the liability the Boat US was offering.

SOLARE
T-37 #442
Old 10-20-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37SOLARE View Post
My coverage is through USAA, they are now selling Markels "Helmsman Yacht Insurance" on the larger vessels they had stopped covering in-house. My cost from USAA/Markel was 1/3 of what Boat US quoted and is an agreed value policy with twice the liability the Boat US was offering.
I'll call them tomorrow! I bought two years ago and at the time they were not taking any more yacht policies for bigger boats! Amica is EXPEN$IVE..

Thanks for the heads up!

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 10-21-2008

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
I'm going to make a generalized no, I'm not looking for business from anybody statement.
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/buying...tml#post237459

All of the above are VERY good policies and procedures.
If EVERYONE that was looking at a hole in the water to throw money into followed the advise above, the world would be a better place and we'd have pretty sunsets too.

Alas,
Thats not the case.
I find MANY potential owners of both sail and powerboats looking at some real junk. Unsafe, unseaworthy POS's that had they followed even some of the advise posted above, they would have never laid out cash, or in some cases, "broke the dream".

I'm finding people have purchased, without survey in one case, a 30 ft SeaRay that had the motor mount stringers coming apart in my hand.

Another party bought a 38ft Trojan where the hull/deck joint was repaired with automotive bondo. (about a 6 foot chunk) They paid top dollar too... Why? as per the new owner "its a Trojan!"

I see horror stories as I come in after the fact for an insurance survey, where there is a lot of "pressure" (pffft, like that matters to me) to "write it nice".
Needless to say, that doesn't happen. Not with me.
And, its getting worse, not better. The economy is forcing SOME people to to put the boat up for sale, most times after sitting idle for some time, as we all know its the deathnell of any watercraft.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs

Last edited by cardiacpaul; 10-21-2008 at 01:00 AM.
Old 10-21-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Not to answer the Portagee's question but the reason there are Marine Surveyors in this country is for a number of reasons. #1 is such that the first time keel boat buyer will have an approximate idea of what is wrong with the boat they love but happens to be in a bad state. Many first time buyers do not even know that the boat they want to love has a stuffing box or a cooling water impeller on their engine much less what function a chain plate plays in keeping a rig aloft. #2 is to protect insurers from perhaps well intended people from buying non-seaworthy craft that will fall apart on them since they did not check out everything on the boat (CP's examples illustrate this). #3 is to keep people like SD and Mainesail in line so that even if they are not actually Marine Surveyors the boats they insure are deemed really seaworthy by someone else.
That said, a first time buyer could find themselves scratching their heads at this thread and asking themselves what a 'multimeter' or moisture detector is. This tread is a good attempt to alert folks as to the depth of discovery one should take when buying a boat.
The same rules apply when buying a boat as a house or home: caveat emptor, or buyer beware. The more knowledgeable the buyer, the better of they are; like second or third etc. boat owners. For first time buyers there are a whole lot of pitfalls they can stumble into and the insurance industry knows this and supports the idea of Marine Surveyors.

Everybody has one:

Old 10-21-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I do sleep, just not a whole lot. I do work, and wish I had been on-line all day. I was actually snaking out a clogged sewer line for a friend... UGH... next time I have to do that, I'll trade ya... It's almost as bad as working on the head on a boat.

BTW, updated the OP in this thread...
Quote:
Originally Posted by denby View Post
Very good thread Dawg, I'll refer to this thread next time I'm in the market for a boat and it will be helpful in keeping up my boat.

But do you ever sleep or work? you posted this at 4am and have been on line all day.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 10-21-2008 at 03:58 AM.
Old 10-21-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
I'll call them tomorrow! I bought two years ago and at the time they were not taking any more yacht policies for bigger boats! Amica is EXPEN$IVE..
Post your results please!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.