Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Bill—

Good tip on the oil filler cap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-13-2008

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by captbillc View Post
i have mentioned this in other threads. as a retired diesel mechanic, one of the first things i do is take off the oil filler cap. if it has water dripping from it the engine has water in the crankcase. this is because water evaporates and then condenses in the valve covers. it will show up here even if there is not enough to look milky on the dipstick. other things to look for have been posted on other threads at sailnet. i don't remember which ones , but perhaps cam can help out on this.

What does water in the crankcase mean in dollars? Cracked head, bad gasket or either.
One is more expensive than the other. Can you tell?

Last edited by davidpm; 11-13-2008 at 11:31 PM.
Old 01-01-2009
an adopted son of Da

tpohara is on a distinguished road
Excellent thread SD and others... I'm just starting to look and am saving this thread's pointers to give me a better chance to make the experiece better. Sounds like the stuff folks tried to teach me years ago when I sailed as a teenager...
Old 01-01-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Glad to help... if you haven't read it yet, I'd highly recommend you read the POST in my signature to help you get the most out of your time here. It has tips on searching sailnet, writing a good post, etc..

Welcome to the asylum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpohara View Post
Excellent thread SD and others... I'm just starting to look and am saving this thread's pointers to give me a better chance to make the experiece better. Sounds like the stuff folks tried to teach me years ago when I sailed as a teenager...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 01-04-2009
an adopted son of Da

tpohara is on a distinguished road
yup...

SD:

yup, figured out pretty quick that you were one of the hands here and already followed that link. I do appreciate the time you take to answer folks, even the long land bound like me. Slainte!
Old 01-17-2009

heron2387 is on a distinguished road
no boat is a perfect boat

what boat doesnt have keel issues, deck issues, mechanical issues, rigging issues? Buy the damn thing if it will float. Or buy new, never been in the water and discover them for yourself. If it's a well founded boat go sailing and have fun.
Old 01-19-2009
Telstar 28

While no boat is perfect, there's no point in looking at a boat that has serious issues. This thread is all about how to figure out if the boat you're looking at is a POS or worth investigating further. It applies to some degree to even new boats IMHO, since even new boats can have some serious issues...
Quote:
Originally Posted by heron2387 View Post
what boat doesnt have keel issues, deck issues, mechanical issues, rigging issues? Buy the damn thing if it will float. Or buy new, never been in the water and discover them for yourself. If it's a well founded boat go sailing and have fun.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 01-19-2009
Abysmally Stupid

jorgenl is on a distinguished road
I would like to add one tip to the list:

Bring a video camera.

It has been invaluable to use during our search, we have a small Sony with 40GB har drive and you can shoot a lot of video, which really contains more info than still pictures and give you a better sense of 3D. We have watched and re-watched the videos we took during the search many times during our deliberations. It also allows you (of course) to add verbal comments as you go along an reduces the need to take written notes.
Old 01-27-2009

outthere09 is on a distinguished road
Your inspection 'thread' is brilliant and I've printed it out as I go off today to see my first boat.

Question..what if you are buying a boat lying in another country? I assume you have plenty of exchanges with US owner prior to making a commitment...but can one rely on a boat surveyor in say, Panama? So if satisfied with owner's answers, do you go ahead and make a deal, subject to inspection and survey, like a house? Or is it best to get a broker involved (there isn't one now).

Any input appreciated.
Old 01-29-2009

dandas is on a distinguished road
What a fantastic post.

That is a really helpful list.

Thanks