Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2009

shawnkillam is on a distinguished road
Sailingdog,
most excellent post / idea. I have printed it and will be using it for a guide in a couple of days.

Any thoughts about arranging to charter the boat for a few days. Under an extended sea trial (charter) what additional things would you look for.

sk
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-24-2009

davidpm is on a distinguished road
It is doubtfully than someone would allow you to charter their boat if they were not already in the business. Insurance, paperwork etc.
Unlikely to get the boat without the owner and maybe less likely with the owner. What owner would want to put themselves through that.
Old 03-27-2009

bardia is on a distinguished road
Thanks for starting this thread Dog. I'm off to check out my first boat ever and wasn't sure if I knew what to look for, and for that reason wouldn't have known if and what offers to make. Was just going to go, hope for the best with my instincts, cause I have to start somewhere right?
Thanks everyone for your input.
Giu your a wild one!!!
Old 03-27-2009

bardia is on a distinguished road
Jstorm, just read your site. Thanks for directing us to it. I'm glad you didn't get nuced. Dog and you are a good team!!
Old 03-27-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Glad to help Bardia. Good luck with the boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-27-2009
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road
SD,
I too will be going to a survey on Monday and will take some of the info with me. Really new boat so some does not apply but...........

Thanks.
Old 03-30-2009

chris2998 is on a distinguished road
dam good tips I never thought about buying a moisture meter. I guess you just use this devise anywhere you think there could be water like around chainplates or whatever. I may just have to purchase this thing when I really get serious about buy some boats. So I see on the meter it may go from 0-30% so when you take a reading I assume you are wanting that reading to be 0 all the time correct and the higher the number the more expensive the repairs could be?

Thanks
Chris
Old 03-30-2009
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
No, the meter will read up to 10% on a dry deck from the moisture in the air, and moisture that should be in the Balsa or marine ply.

I use my meter to detect changes in the moisture readings as I slide the meter over the deck and hull. I wipe the deck with a cotton cloth as I slide the meter along to remove dirt, or any surface moisture (even on a dry day). When the meter reads over 20% that is a good indication of excessive moisture in a cored deck or hull.

- Ed

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 03-30-2009
Big Chicken Baby

Mimsy is on a distinguished road
Don't nuke Jstorm yet! He was the surveyor who recommended us to another surveyor who met the ARE's definition of a thorough survey. I can vouch for the fact that he was more than willing to pass on the name of another quality surveyor when he was too busy to schedule us. In my experience with him, his motivations were absolutely not to put more cash in his pockets but to help us find the quality of survey we were looking for in a timely manner. His first concern was our needs, not his.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread...
Old 03-30-2009

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Couple of thoughts

Great Post! Here are a couple of things that came to mind while reading through the thread.

- No matter how knowledgeable you are get a survey. I went over my current boat in detail. The surveyor found a couple of things I missed and I picked up a couple of things he missed. Between the two of us I had a really good snapshot of the boat.

- For every electrical upgrade or bit of electronics added take a look at the electrical installation. My boat was OK, but I've seem some things that made me cringe.

- Before looking at the boat spend some time online researching both the boat and the engine. Knowing what problems are common to a certain model can save you a lot of time, heartache and dollars.

- CAREFULLY read what is supposed to be included with the boat. I found two versions of the listing for my boat. The first one listed a dinghy and outboard the second didn't. It turned out the seller was no longer in the area and the broker was trying to keep the dinghy and motor for himself. The "oversight" was only corrected when I pushed the issue with the broker.

Jim

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White