Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2008

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Mottle 33 Advice or thoughts on this aussie boat?

Hi all,

I am looking for some thoughts and advice on an Australian yacht the Mottle 33, sometimes also known as a naut 33. They were a centre cockpit mid 70's -early 80's Peter Cole designed boat.

Essentially my situation is that I am looking to do a mixture of coastal and blue water cruising. I am based in Sydney, so the plan would be up the east coast of Australia, then either the Pacific or up into Asia by way of Indonesia.

When I say 'Bluewater' I have no plans to circumnavigate by way of the Capes any time soon, or visit our arctic extremities. There would be a lot of island hopping, but also some not insignificant offshore passages.

There are likely to be 2-3 of us on the yacht, and we like the accomodation plan of the Mottle, they fit within our budget but I must admit we have no first hand experience with one.

thoughts?

Our Blog: Aussie cruising family

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sounds like a good little boat if you believe what was written about it here.

Not a bad looking boat either. No personal experience with the beast though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-21-2008

Thats what I thought as well. There were a few in charter fleets out here in in the 80's apparently which made me initially nervous about their bluewater abilities. Thanks Sailing Dog for the info and link.

Old 10-21-2008

Ilenart is on a distinguished road
My little book indicates they were designed by Joe Adams. Other details include:

LOA 32ft 91/2"
beam 10ft 9"
draft 5ft 2"

Ilenart
Old 10-21-2008

Thanks, I think your right i've now seen info that suggests they were a Joe Adams design, Im not sure where I got Peter Cole from then!

Old 03-23-2009

St Anna is on a distinguished road
I've sailed in club races around Moreton Bay on a mottle 33. fast and safe. The crew won the WAGS a few seasons ago (when I wasnt on the boat of course) The one in the pic I think is in Gladstone.

We didn't choose a mottle to cruise in but they'd be perfect for the trip to TI / Darwin etc.
Old 03-24-2009

Anna,

Thanks for the info.

We are in Sydney and the proposed cruise would be up the east coast, Queensland Islands, and then from Cairns across to the Louisaddes, then maybe the Solomons, before heading back to Sydney via Vanuatu/New Caledonia etc.

Option two could be Darwin and then maybe on into Asia?? depends on time and money.

We are wondering now whether the Mottle might be too small for us, but they seem very capable and reasonably priced.

Alternative we have looked at include:

Nantucket 33 ( more internal size than the mottle, slightly more expensive, arguably uglier and not as quick. Oh and THIS was the Peter Cole design)

Adams 40 Steel and also Centre Cockpit.

Early/Mid 90's around 35-37ft production boat. (Beneteau or Catalina..)

Old 03-24-2009
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Chall,
The Mottle 33 is essentially quite capable of doing what you want. At least one of them has done the full circle and for a relatively inexpensive primarily coastal cruising boat they are not a bad choice and are certainly a popular design of their time.
That said 33' feet is pretty small in anyones language for a centre cockpit and stowage space would be at a premium. Fuel and water capacity is not great. Aft cabin somewhat cramped.
Nonetheless their owners seem to love them.
There used to be a quite active owners association btw but I don't know if it still exists.
Personally if I was looking at something that size of that age I'd be having a look at things like Duncanson 34-35, S & S 34, Swanson 32-36, Young 34, Wright 10.6, Cole 35 and even one of ours, the Van De Stadt 34. Not many Catalinas of that age in Oz but you will find some older Beneteaus but they would be a fair bit more money. For sure if I was looking in that price range I'd want aft cockpit.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 03-24-2009 at 03:51 AM.
Old 03-24-2009

St Anna is on a distinguished road
All Van destadt designs are great. I couldn't agree more. We had the 36' seal design. Fast, safe and tough. (Had to be).

I know the nantucket also - but not as well. Quite tender in comparision and not as fast (smaller boat) but a top cruiser all the same. The Dunc could be a bit small for 3 people. I personally am not overly keen on bolt on 'bendy toys'. Downwind sailing, the design may trip up. Its great to hunt down your next boat and if it takes a year - so be it. You will know what you want.

You may find the next step up could be a bit daunting, from a 27' to a cruiser - they have systems - plumbing/ elect etc and it takes a while to learn your boat.

Incidentalyy, we are looking at the same carins/louisiades/vanuato/ home next year.
Old 03-24-2009

Awesome Anna! Well if we run into each other the first Sundowner is on me

TDW I agree big step up in price from a Mottle to a mid 90's Beneteau. I guess that is our problem we are trying to figure out at this stage in our lives with varying factors how much money we should be pouring into a boat and what we will end up doing with said boat.

I guess I am very happy to do it in a Mottle if it means that we do actually do it.

Cam and others have made some fairly good arguments however that you need to be honest about what is an acceptable comfort level for you, and we have spent some time onboard Beneteau's of late, and im ashamed to say that we found them to be fun to sail and well comfortable.

Had problems finding alot of Van de Stadt's for sale.
On the S&S 34 despite their sensational pointing ability and proven sea kindliness, I have heard alot of cruiser's poo poo them as lacking storage and a practical cruising layout.

What say you all on steel Adams designs?? Adams 35/40 seem to range anywhere between 65-110k depending on condition.....