Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2008
someday....

SLObrett is on a distinguished road
yorktown 33?

ive been lookin for a boat for awhile now and ive found a good deal (i think)locally. im havin troubl finding info on this boat though. any suggestions?

heres the add text (because i cant post links yet)
"Emergency Sale! The boat is currently on a guest mooring as the seal have gotten on it. I cannot deal with this problem and will be willing to take ANY offer to get it off my hands. New owner will have to get it back to mooring or dry dock. My Nightmare is your advantage. I have over $30,000 in receipts of work that has been done and willing to let it go for ANY offer. Everything still works, just the railings will need to be replaced. She is currently surrounded by event fencing, to keep the seals off.

She is a 1972 Yorktown Sailboat, fiberglass construction, single mast, 33 feet long, 11 feet wide with 4-cylinder 40 horsepower Perkins diesel motor. Main sail with new sail clips, 2 head sails and a storm sail. Includes mooring in Avila, CA. (Port San Luis).

Sailboat has been refurbished by a certified marine mechanic. Includes a new LaFiel mast and boom (LaFiel is the company that makes space shuttle part), NEW standing and running rigging. Boat has stainless steel railings, and a new custom built swim ladder. The exterior has been prepped with the highest quality marine grade paint and all the teak woodwork has been cleaned, sanded, and varnished. Over $30,000 has been spent on the boat in the last year (I have receipts). The sales still need to be tuned and some deck hardware (winches, etc) need to be put back on topside.

Work done below the waterline: All new thru hull fittings and seacocks, new drive shaft, with a PPL dripless drive shaft bearing, cutlass bearings and zincs. New rudder packing. Fresh anti- fouling bottom paint.

Interior has new headliner and carpet. Also a solar panel that charges three separate batteries and stainless steel BBQ.

This is a great ocean-sailer that sleeps 6, has working galley, head and sinks.
Boat includes a mooring (good for up to 35 feet) in Port San Luis harbor (cost is around $80.00 per quarter. To see her, take the sea taxi to guest buoy (name of the boat is Options) and make sure you give the sea taxi driver $10 for the round trip.

Valued at $48,000. "

turns out i know the guy through mutual friends and can get the price down considerably..

thanks again for all your help
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2008
someday....

i need two more post for pics
so heres one
Old 10-20-2008
someday....

heres two ...........
Old 10-20-2008
someday....

Old 10-20-2008

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
1-Distrust anyone who says "Emergency" when it isn't. No one's life or property is in danger here, this is not an "emergency sale". It might be a "distress sale" but that's something else entirely.

2-There's a 1972 Yorktown 33 listed on Yachtworld in Cali for $19,000 ASKING price. this one is worth $48,000? Really? And, what's a "certified marine mechanic" ? Never heard of that. Sounds like someone who got tired of chasing seals, doesn't know how to do his own maintenance, and wants to bamboozle some newbie with fancy words.

3-Price includes mooring? Yeah, right, the one he's had to ABANDON because of the seals.

But, if you've got the money and feel the boat is worth it, that's all it takes.
Old 10-20-2008
someday....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
1-Distrust anyone who says "Emergency" when it isn't. No one's life or property is in danger here, this is not an "emergency sale". It might be a "distress sale" but that's something else entirely.

2-There's a 1972 Yorktown 33 listed on Yachtworld in Cali for $19,000 ASKING price. this one is worth $48,000? Really? And, what's a "certified marine mechanic" ? Never heard of that. Sounds like someone who got tired of chasing seals, doesn't know how to do his own maintenance, and wants to bamboozle some newbie with fancy words.

3-Price includes mooring? Yeah, right, the one he's had to ABANDON because of the seals.

But, if you've got the money and feel the boat is worth it, that's all it takes.
after a day of cleanin seal crap he flipped and is tryin very hard to dump it, so definitely not a emergency, but he's tired of the boat and wants it gone.

the mechanic he's refering to is the guy at our local boatyard in port san luis.

no doubt im a newb, but like i said we have mutual friends and i could always track him down

finding info on the boat has been tough...

thanks for the reply!
Old 10-20-2008

citation34 is on a distinguished road
Nice boat. If you haven't already, get a survey. INDEPENDANT survey. I don't care if the seller has proof the boat was rebuilt yesterday. Remember, he's probably a nice guy who really wants to get out from under this boat. I hope it is perfect for you.

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'Liberty' Citation 34
Old 10-20-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Let me just add to what HelloSailor said.

The fact that he has $30K in receipts does not mean much. With most boats, the market value is the market value. One of the best indications of market value is the asking prices on other similar boats. You can assume that fair market value is somewhat less.

Take a good look at the other boat Hellosailor mentioned. The one you're considering is asking-priced 250% higher.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 10-20-2008
someday....

whoops!! the asking price is 7800, and it looks like i can get her for 4-5000.

sorry!

Last edited by SLObrett; 10-20-2008 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-20-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLObrett View Post
whoops!! the asking price is 7800, and it looks like i can get her for 4-5000.

sorry!
Sorry, too. I assumed the $48K was his asking price.

Now, that LeFiel mast alone probably cost a few $K. At $5K for the whole boat, this is a whole different ballgame.

But definitely hire a surveyor.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT