Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Xort— it is usually inadvisable to run a water maker in a busy commercial harbor, like Boston harbor, as the oil and other water-borne contaminants, including raw sewage, will foul and destroy the RO membrane. Just FYI.
I forgot about that...but that can be filtered out if necessary. Wintertime there is less of that stuff to filter. I had a chat about all that with my watermaker manufacturer and they said it could be done. Add more costs for filters!

My off the cuff guess was going to be $10,000 for a season slip, I see even that was too low.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
In Boston for a 50' boat... Yup... especially liveaboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
I forgot about that...but that can be filtered out if necessary. Wintertime there is less of that stuff to filter. I had a chat about all that with my watermaker manufacturer and they said it could be done. Add more costs for filters!

My off the cuff guess was going to be $10,000 for a season slip, I see even that was too low.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-24-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Once again I get to jump into a thread and say "for you my friend the Gemini is a perfect choice".
At 33.5 feet LOA it's an inexpensive boat for per feet storage, at 14 feet wide it fits in most slips.
With a queen up front and two doubles in the rear you have a pantry storage and a always available quest room office.
They can take you around the world, living large, and most importantly, flat, open and wide.
At 75k, they can be found. They aren't right for everyone, some people just can't deal with full boats and stick to half boats.
Gemini_Cats : Gemini Catamarans free to join and always friendly answers.
I should get a commission for this stuff.
Old 10-24-2008

pkstinn is on a distinguished road
Interesting to read all of these postings from those who haven't ever sailed a Gulfstar. Gulfstars are incredibly well built boats! I've been on a 40' Gulfstar centercockpit that serves comfortably as a liveaboard and does not require any more upkeep than the newer vessels. The boat is comfortably sailed by the two people that liveaboard. I think it is an early 1980's vintage. It handles weather extremely well even when others head into harbor. If you are umfortunate to collide with another similar size vessel out there, the Gulfstar is the likely vessel to survive. Look at the smaller 40' Gulfstars and enjoy...
Old 10-24-2008

tommays will become famous soon enough
PK

IF you read all the replys it is NOT a boat quality issue BUT a can i afford and handle a 50' boat through a boston winter issue

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 10-24-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The question isn't whether a Gulfstar is a good boat...but whether this particular Gulfstar 50 is a good fit for two relatively young people who want to liveaboard and learn to cruise.

Again, this boat is priced significantly below market—which generally indicates that its got some serious issues with it. The OP and his wife probably don't have a whole lot of boat restoring/refurbishing experience at this point, or all that much of a budget to do so with.

Keep in mind, that some work refurbishing/restoring a boat will require that you not live on the boat. If this boat requires any such work, the couple in question is going to be out of their home and looking for one to hold them over until such work is finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkstinn View Post
Interesting to read all of these postings from those who haven't ever sailed a Gulfstar. Gulfstars are incredibly well built boats! I've been on a 40' Gulfstar centercockpit that serves comfortably as a liveaboard and does not require any more upkeep than the newer vessels. The boat is comfortably sailed by the two people that liveaboard. I think it is an early 1980's vintage. It handles weather extremely well even when others head into harbor. If you are umfortunate to collide with another similar size vessel out there, the Gulfstar is the likely vessel to survive. Look at the smaller 40' Gulfstars and enjoy...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 10-24-2008
Telstar 28

I forgot, you like the lines on that Buccaneer... What do you expect from a guy that is looking to trade up to a Winnebago. Gotta love the sheer lines on that Winnebago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
They're not ALL over 40'! Do I have to post that Bucaneer photo again??!!

Acually, I agree, over 40' is best for a CC...but there is nothing wrong with getting an over 40' boat as a first boat...provided you can afford both it and the ongoing costs AND spend the money and time to get properly instructed and used to sailing her in protected waters. I think have mentioned before that the folks who bought my Irwin44 CC had never owned a boat or sailed themselves before...yet they bought the boat they felt would best suit their future cruising plans...and then LEARNED to do it all on that boat. It seems to have worked out quite well for them AND they saved a lot of $$ and time learning and trading boats.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 10-24-2008

DonofPaw is on a distinguished road
Pearson Tri and the S 2 11

Thanks for all the ideas and info... think the wife likes the whole aft cabin thing a lot more for a live abaord... where could I find more info on the S 2 google is failing me. Can you tell me roughly what she can be used for? She seems to be a costal cruiser from what I can gather am I wrong in this assumption? Would she be capable of some island and Maine/Canadian sailing for month + trips?

Thanks
Don

I think you guys are on the mark really I need to find the balance of winter dock living aboard, summer mooring live aboard, cruising capabilities, guest accomidations, and affordablity.... thanks for taking me a step closer...
Old 10-24-2008
Telstar 28

IIRC, the S2 11 I mentioned above is a fairly capable coastal cruiser and would be capable of doing a longer cruise up to Maine, Nova Scotia, New Foundland and the like.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 10-24-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
I agree that the S2 could easily do the coastal sailing you describe. Here's an example:

1984 S 2 11.0 Center Cockpit Sail Boat For Sale -

Here's an example of the Beneteau 36CC. Much more expensive, but newer and probably in need of less upgrades/maintenence:

1998 Beneteau 36 C.C. Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT