Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2008

DonofPaw is on a distinguished road
Care to take a guess?

What do you think it would cost to get this boat into cruising condition? How would you rate her as a live aboard on a scale of 1-10 1 being lowest say optimist dingy level

1966 Pearson Countess Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

A few notes: the owner lived aboard every summer for 30 years or so I think up to this year but hasn't cruised in a few years. The Ford Lathrop has about 9,000 hours on it apprently still running. Many of the electronics are ancient but apparently quite a bit still working. I've been aboard so I might be able to answer some questions.

Electronics
Magnavox MK200 GPS
Furuno CRT Radar
Icom VHF
Data Marine Chartlink
Apelco GX1100 GPS
Garmin GPSmap 182C
Datamarine speed/depth/wind
Alden Navtex AG-900 weather fax receiver
Si-Tex HG705 Radar
Hull 1799 SSB Radio
Navico autopilot
Sony Am/FM/ Cassette Stereo
Satfind EPIRB
Mechanical
Lathrop LERV D100 diesel
Raritan hot water heater
Freshwater filtration system
Power survivor water maker
Cruising equipment amp hour meter
Battery charger
Sails
Hood Mainsail good
Hood Mizzen good
Ratsey Mizzen fair
Hood Genoa good
Hood #2 Fair
Ratsey #1 Fair
Ratsey Working Jib Fair
Hood Storm Trys'l good
Hood Storm Stays'l good
?? Storm jib good
Ratsey Spinn Stays'l fair
Ratsey Mizzen Stays'l fair
Ratsey spinnaker fair
Canvas
Companionway dodger
Mainsail cover
Mizzen Cover
Weather Cloths
Awning
Deck Hardware
2 Barient #30 primary winches
2 southern castings secondary winches
Simpson Lawrence Windlass
CQR plow anchor on roller with chain rode
Danforth style secondary anchor in chocks
Small Mushroom anchor
4 Fenders
Assorted dock lines in varying condition
1 Harken 32ST main mast mounted winch
1 medium main mast mounted winch
1 smaller main mast mounted winch
2 smaller mizzen mast mounted winches
Switlik 6 person life raft deck mounted

Thanks,
Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2008

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
I would have it surveyed and go from there. The ad said it has uncluttered sidedicks, thats got to be worth something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 10-24-2008
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Classic John Alden, looks to be in pretty good shape for her age. I've heard they sail great. Lot's of room and lot's of light. Big boat for the money, might be a great boat. It'll probably need a bunch of upgrades but looks usable as is.

John

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 10-24-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you're serious about the boat... might want to do an inspection trip, with what I said in my Boat Inspection Trip Tips post in mind. Also, if it passes the inspection trip... get a hull survey, rigging survey and engine survey.

BTW, the primary winches, Barient 32s, sound a bit on the underpowered side for that size a boat.

Some of the electronics are probably outdated and obsolete... like the Satfind EPIRB, which I think is an older 121.5 MHz EPIRB, and now no longer legal. Some of the systems, like the watermaker are probably going to need a lot of refurbishing.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-25-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Weren't you looking for an aft cabin?
Beautiful boat if in good condition. I would worry big time about a diesel with 9000 hours. Get a diesel mechanic to go over her if you pursue it.
Old 10-25-2008
Pearson 31-2 #80 ('87)

Delirious is on a distinguished road
I just bought a used boat and I'm figuring 30% above purchase price to get her where I want her to be mechanically and system-wise for inshore cruising. And that's with "as new" 2006 sails and includes such uglies as 8% sales tax and registration/documentation.
Charlie P. P31-2 #80 CATNAP

To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive - R.L. Stevenson

I suspect that, if you should go to the end of the world, you would find somebody there going farther . . . - H.D. Thoreau
Old 10-25-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Does it really matter what we think - what do you think since you have been onboard? That is going to be the criteria.

I'd suggest you ask the owner if you can spend a weekend on her if possible.

I think for a live-aboard, you are going to be cramped. While beam is 12' interior wise it is more like only 9'5".

You will need to find out what insurance will cover. Most popular insurance companies do not insure boats period if over 20 years old much less for a live aboard. I mention this as it is one of the critical decision points you need to consider.

The boat is dated - I know from my purchase the pictures look glossy and fine as as a spread in the Playboy Playmate of the Year triple layout - but lets get real here. Nothing rarely is as good as they look in the photos. You'll spend alot of time updating the electrical etc as once you are on it using it - things break at record pace. The PO may have spent summers on it but maybe he was the "camper" type of sailor that didn't really exercise all the systems...

Pretty boat - great history but is it for you and that is the question you should honestly be asking yourself. If your car is a 2000 or better model, you buy new clothes each year to be in fashion, etc - it'll be a boat that maybe eats you alive in remodeling to bring up to your tastes... and that is my point - its your decision and if you take the time to list all the items you can do the research to find out what it will take to upgrade and bring it up to your specs. If simply the price is right - whatever it is - your call..just do the survey, mechanic, rigging and other and make sure you know what you are getting into. She's an old boat just lived on not really sailed - so ...choice is really yours...

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 10-25-2008
Pearson 31-2 #80 ('87)

Delirious is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Most popular insurance companies do not insure boats period if over 20 years old much less for a live aboard.
They do hereabouts (inland lakes/Great Lakes). I have Nationwide and they'll cover the insurance survey value, gear and liabilities as high as you want to pay for coverage (I keep $300,000 as the marna requires it).

Forget "new replacement value" of the hull & rigging, though.
Charlie P. P31-2 #80 CATNAP

To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive - R.L. Stevenson

I suspect that, if you should go to the end of the world, you would find somebody there going farther . . . - H.D. Thoreau
Old 10-25-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
boat us insured my 1985 42' with no problem, AFTER survey.
Old 10-25-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
I saw a few things...
Water stains in the guest cabin. How long have they been rotting the bulkhead?
110 hp engine with 180 gallon fuel tank with 9000 hours? Seems like a big engine with a LOT of hours.
Owners stateroom looks like a pilot berth. Hope you and your honey like sleeping VERY close together or else sleeping VERY far apart!

I found a boat in NC I was interested in. Didn't want to fly down without some idea of condition. I paid a surveyor $75 to do a quick look see. He immediately found the entire foredeck was delaminated. Saved me the expense of flying down.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.