Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by josrulz View Post
Our offer was accepted today! So we're buyin' a boat!

Of course, next we go to survey and we'll see how things go. Hopefully nothing serious will come up.

I'm not sure it's really sunk in that this is happening, but my wife and I are really excited.
Thanks!
-J
Congrats! Ask the broker for the previous survey and have it faxed / emailed whatever prior to your scheduled survey date. Trust me it arms you with questions to ask and is an aide to the surveyor as well...

Best of luck!

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Details? Photos??

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-28-2008
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
Ima workin' on it! I know, I know, no one believes you until you show pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Details? Photos??
Old 10-28-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I see you understand...
Quote:
Originally Posted by josrulz View Post
Ima workin' on it! I know, I know, no one believes you until you show pics!

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 10-28-2008
Unpaid Intern

Quote:
I see you understand...
Ha ha! Yes, I understand.

Survey is set for Monday morning. Weather, so far, looks good, but it's a bit early yet. Should be 60 degrees and mostly sunny. Of course, when speaking of weather predictions, I always say, "THEY DON'T REALLY KNOW."

We'll see...

I'm just hoping the boat comes out with no major issues. I'll be prepared to walk away if needed, but I'd really rather this one turn out to be a great boat.
Old 11-02-2008
Unpaid Intern

Survey tomorrow morning...wish us luck! The weather is supposed to be in the 60s, some sun, some clouds, and winds about 5 - 10 knots. I wouldn't mind a bit more wind for the sea trial, but I suppose at this time of year at least it's not 40 degrees and raining!

I'll report back after the survey...thanks again for all of your help.
-J
Old 11-02-2008
Pearson 31-2 #80 ('87)

Delirious is on a distinguished road
Good luck.
Charlie P. P31-2 #80 CATNAP

To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive - R.L. Stevenson

I suspect that, if you should go to the end of the world, you would find somebody there going farther . . . - H.D. Thoreau
Old 11-03-2008
Unpaid Intern

No luck!!!

Well, the survey was today, and we didn't even get through it before we called it off and walked away from the deal. Blisters covered the entire bottom of the boat, even the keel. My surveyor said it would need a full peel, at least two layers of laminate deep--nothing you can "spot" fix. So we walked. It seems like we can't catch a break! We don't believe the listing broker knew about the blisters (just based on his reaction), though I don't know if the sellers did or did not (no evidence either way).

I guess the good news is that because we did a survey (as we should), we found this out in the process and can walk away. Still a big bummer though.

SOOOOOO, back to the drawing board again, looking for a boat...
Old 11-03-2008
Telstar 28

Josrulz-

Sorry to hear the bad news... It would have been nice if the broker/owners had been open and upfront about the blistering, since that's generally a deal killer...

At this point I'd highly recommend you use the following POST when checking boats out, so you can get rid of the turkeys before paying a surveyor... It is really why I wrote that post.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 11-03-2008
Unpaid Intern

Quote:
Josrulz-

Sorry to hear the bad news... It would have been nice if the broker/owners had been open and upfront about the blistering, since that's generally a deal killer...

At this point I'd highly recommend you use the following POST when checking boats out, so you can get rid of the turkeys before paying a surveyor... It is really why I wrote that post.
Thanks sailingdog for the link to your post. All great information in there. I'm not sure it would make a difference in this case, since the boat appeared to be well-maintained in all other respects, and when we visited it, we went over it in great detail (with many pics and notes). It was one of the better-maintained boats we seen. Today, with the survey partially done, the boat was doing quite well. If not for the bottom, we probably would have still had a deal. And most importantly, I don't know how we could have known about the blisters without hauling the boat. We flat out asked about that before we made an offer on the boat, and the owners said there were none when it was last hauled (this is technically possible, though we'll never know for sure). Thanks again, sailingdog...now back to the search!
-J