Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2008

davidpm is on a distinguished road
I'm going to look at this boat tomorrow

Can't figure out why the guy is using Ebay?
No reserve. Will probably sell very low.
eBay Motors: New York 36 - ONE OWNER! - NO RESERVE (item 260303191407 end time Oct-26-08 18:53:37 PDT)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-25-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
I would imagine it is the "You get to do survey after the 500 deposit" and "Even if survey finds things wrong you still own the boat"...

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-25-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I hope you read my post on Boat Inspection Trip Tips
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Can't figure out why the guy is using Ebay?
No reserve. Will probably sell very low.
eBay Motors: New York 36 - ONE OWNER! - NO RESERVE (item 260303191407 end time Oct-26-08 18:53:37 PDT)

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-26-2008
capt'n

sandsailor is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up lucky is the person who lands it

very nice boat got a 27' myself wish i could bring that one home .
either that one was listed before or one just like it not too long ago
Old 10-26-2008
Pearson 31-2 #80 ('87)

Delirious is on a distinguished road
Quote:
YOU CAN HAVE YOUR EXPERT SURVEY THE BOAT AT YOUR EXPENSE AFTER RECEPT OF THE $500. DEPOSIT. BUT, REGARDLESS OF HIS OPINION, YOU STILL OWN THE BOAT.
Nice. So if it turns out the images are 12 years old and the boat is foundered and on the bottom of the marina it's yours regardless. Hmmmm.

May be a good deal. You have 21 hours to get a look. Otherwise, do you want it so bad as to risk getting royally scr. . . taken?

Quote:
THE INBOARD DEISEL IS IN WORKING CONDITION
Interesting choice of words. Could mean: "It was working six years ago when we last had it in the water"

Quote:
REMEMBER, THIS BOAT IS ALMOST 30 YEARS OLD AND IT'S A RACER AT HEART.
Or: "Owner stored wet sails inside at the end of every race and now the floors and cushions are full of mold, mildew and blackened bubbles in the varnish.

Does the risk outweigh the potential savings? Has to work to your level of comfort. Personally, I have to see a boat before I'd agree to buy it, and even then I insist I can back out if it fails to survey well.

I never checked out eBAy motors. Is there a back-out clause if it's a real turd?
Charlie P. P31-2 #80 CATNAP

To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive - R.L. Stevenson

I suspect that, if you should go to the end of the world, you would find somebody there going farther . . . - H.D. Thoreau
Old 10-26-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbyjody View Post
I would imagine it is the "You get to do survey after the 500 deposit" and "Even if survey finds things wrong you still own the boat"...
Actually I could bring a surveyor with me tomorrow if i wanted to. He is not accepting offers pending survey. Survey first offer second.

That could mean he has a compelling reason to leave the boat and wants a clean deal no strings attached or it could mean that their is something major wrong and he is hoping a self survey will not pick it up.

I'll know more tomorrow.
Old 10-26-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I hope you read my post on Boat Inspection Trip Tips
Of course I did. Have them laminated too and thanks.
Old 10-26-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirious View Post
Does the risk outweigh the potential savings? Has to work to your level of comfort. Personally, I have to see a boat before I'd agree to buy it, and even then I insist I can back out if it fails to survey well.

I never checked out eBAy motors. Is there a back-out clause if it's a real turd?

I 100% agree with you about seeing a boat no matter how cheap before buying. Last year I was watching a "Boat Angel Ministries" ebay boat listing and the deal was you were not allowed to see the boat before bidding. I talked to the winning bidder and got the address and did get to see the boat. It had a significant negative value. There are boats that sell for 1,000 and and it will cost you 1,100 in dump fees.

As far as ebay motors their are no rules that I know of other than that the seller has to pay the ebay fees. Everything else is in the fine print of the listing. The seller can make any rules they want.
I want to see and "self survey" as many boats as I can and since this guy is having an "open house" I don't feel too guilty going to see the boat even though I'm not specifically looking for this model.
Check this one out for rules: eBay Motors: 79 O'Day 25' Sailboat - 2000 Mercury Motor - 10ft Skiff (item 110303051830 end time Oct-27-08 17:00:00 PDT)

Last edited by davidpm; 10-26-2008 at 01:10 AM.
Old 10-26-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Glad to help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Of course I did. Have them laminated too and thanks.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-26-2008

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
The NY36 was one of the boats I briefly considered, but the funky below deck layout and reputation as being a handful to sail caused us to rule it out. From what I was able to gather, these were well built boats designed to withstand being driven hard and taking a pounding from a crew of "deck apes". They were designed as race boats with a heavy IOR influence and therefore may be a handful for a couple to sail, but they would probably be fun if your crew is up to it.

Based on the wording of the listing, it seems the owner is ready to be done with this boat which may or may not be an indication of problems. I agree with the concensus that caution is warranted but it might be worthy of a look if you want a racy older boat.