Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2008

tommays will become famous soon enough
Is it good well It does not JUST POP a hole from a minor wack

The racing holes i have seen took took a hit in the beam from the pointy SS forestay bracket and resulted in no boat dammage other than the area of the inpact

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A bit OT, but this is one reason a lot of custom boats, multihulls and monohulls both, are laid up using a ductile foam core material for the hull, like Airex. It will often compress, and absorb and spread out a lot of the impact force, and prevent the impact from holing the interior skin of the laminate. Use of kevlar cloth also helps, since it generally will not tear in an impact situation.

For decks, I prefer end-grain balsa... but for hulls, I'd prefer ductile PVC foam, with solid glass along the keel and for all through-hulls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirious View Post
Is that a good thing? Isn't the intention of long fibers in the matrix to spread the stress/strain and prevent a hull failure?

I'd rather smack a submerged piling and limp back with $2,000 in future glass work waiting at the yard than be submerged beside the piling with $200 in glass work and $12,000 in ruined equipment and gear.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-27-2008
"Sparkie"

j34035 is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=eMKay;390675]They only made 71 of them ('86 to '88) Nice sailplan, not ideal interior but the V-berth looks usable, cool cockpit, is the 40" wheel really necessary? Could it be swapped out for say a 28" wheel? Should I add this boat to my list? Cored hull worries me...

J/28's are great boats! The V-berth is massive for a 28 footer, and since they dont try to fit sleeping for 7 into 28', the rest of the boat is well laid out. There is a pull-out berth under the settee that makes a nice double for the occasional guest, a decent galley, and the folding table opens the salon up very nicely. Keep the 40" wheel until you decide you dont like it, and yes other wheels fit. It is a 1" straight bore wheel. Steering from the lifelines comfortably is really nice. I have had a J/37 and now a J/34c and they both have the same cockpit layout the 28 has, and they are really nice for short-handed sailing. We have one sailing in our fleet and he always finishes well on the race course. I am not going to say dont worry about cored hulls, but with a good survey and moisture check, you should be able to abvoid problems. If you would like to hook up with a 28 owner, PM me and I will try to get you an email address so you can swap notes. Later...........
DD
Jboat J/37c (new to me Jan 2011); J/22 #1003

Old 10-27-2008

eMKay is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=j34035;391441]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eMKay View Post
They only made 71 of them ('86 to '88) Nice sailplan, not ideal interior but the V-berth looks usable, cool cockpit, is the 40" wheel really necessary? Could it be swapped out for say a 28" wheel? Should I add this boat to my list? Cored hull worries me...

J/28's are great boats! The V-berth is massive for a 28 footer, and since they dont try to fit sleeping for 7 into 28', the rest of the boat is well laid out. There is a pull-out berth under the settee that makes a nice double for the occasional guest, a decent galley, and the folding table opens the salon up very nicely. Keep the 40" wheel until you decide you dont like it, and yes other wheels fit. It is a 1" straight bore wheel. Steering from the lifelines comfortably is really nice. I have had a J/37 and now a J/34c and they both have the same cockpit layout the 28 has, and they are really nice for short-handed sailing. We have one sailing in our fleet and he always finishes well on the race course. I am not going to say dont worry about cored hulls, but with a good survey and moisture check, you should be able to abvoid problems. If you would like to hook up with a 28 owner, PM me and I will try to get you an email address so you can swap notes. Later...........
DD
Thanks! That's great news on the V-berth because every other boat that size with one is useless, which is why I'm looking at boats without them. Of course I will get a survey on one before buying.

Technician, RCR Yachts Buffalo.
Old 10-27-2008
Sailed a while

hjubyhavn is on a distinguished road
Tillitson-Pearson did not bother sealing the core where cutting through for fittings.

This means that only meticulously maintained boats can be expected to have dry core as they get wet from the outside and severe leaks does not happen after the core is quite wet around the fitting.

I check all fittings that show moisture immediately, even when it only looks like condensation on my '86 Freedom 21 (same builder). That is the only way to be sure. A racing outfitted boat of the same age as mine may needs 10-15 items re-seated each season.
Old 10-27-2008
"Sparkie"

j34035 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiacpaul View Post
man... y'all need to hop on the koolaid train as far as cored hulls are concerned.

Don't get me wrong, water ingress in a hull is a great big-o problem (thats the southern international unit of measurement.) but I wouldn't be so quick to make a cored hull a deal breaker.
I've posted this before, but i'll do it again.

http://www.acmanet.org/cm/historical...t_Part%201.pdf

http://www.acmanet.org/cm/historical...t_Part%202.pdf
I agree with you. People get their panties in a great big-o wad (I like that measurement!) over stuff that while is not baseless, is overblown. All boats have potential problems, that is why you get GOOD surveyors to evaluate before you buy. Personnaly, I'm pretty impressed with the long-term durability of both the J/boats I have owned. The only real problem I have had is leaking chainplates, but that is not that big of a project to fix, especially if you have the mast out for transport. I do also agree you should check and fix fasteners and penetrations to the deck anytime you are suspicious of a leak.
DD

BTW, those are great articles about Pearson!!
Jboat J/37c (new to me Jan 2011); J/22 #1003

Old 10-29-2008

jason3317 is on a distinguished road
A good choice....

As with any 20 year cored hull, you'd benefit from a thorough survey to rule out any problems. Remember, cored = light weight, which may be important to you depending where you do your boating and the wind conditions. In the Chespeake, the summer winds can be light and a lighter boat is more easily driven. YMMV.

You didn't tell us what your sailing requirements or what other boats are on your shopping list. As the owner of J/28 #69, I can tell you that it is one of the best layouts and one of the roomiest 28 footers I have been on.

I particularly enjoy the aft head location and the galley is adequate for most. The forward V-berth is 6ft+ and the space includes room for dressing, a hanging locker and storage cabinents on opposite sides.

Modeled after the J/40, the best interior feature is the bulkhead mounted table, which folds down and expands with a hinged leaf. The port settee pulls out to a double.

Interior storage is adequate, but not huge. Two cockpit lockers do provide plently of room and access.

Sailing performance is excellent, with a large main and fractional rig. I typicall can sail at a little more than 1/2 the apparent wind with <10 knts true. My boat has the 5' std draft fin keel. I single hand 80% of the time and with the primary sail controls in the cockpit....life is good...easy to depower in the puffs.

Pricing for the J/28s on the market are fairly stable. With only 71 hulls and the "J/ Premium", I think 35-45k is reasonable for a well cared example. There are alot of less expensive options, but would not hesitate to buy my 28 again at that price.

Let me know if you want more info, or a few other pics.
Old 10-30-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
There's a lot to like about this design and Jason, as an owner, has given a nice review of the boat.

I've always admired the J-28 package as a whole. I have often wondered why it didn't get the "C" designation, as it seemed geared more toward cruiser/racer than racer/cruiser.

A couple aspects about the design that I don't especially care for:

- Yes, it is relatively roomy, but the absence of any quarter berth is a disappointment. Compare this boat to the Beneteau 285, which has an enclosed aft double quarter berth. For family sailing, you'll miss the extra bunk. For singles/couples, maybe not.

- The signature J-cockpit. I have never warmed up to the standard J-boats cockpit design, which leaves the helmsman sitting on the coaming outside the cockpit. In other words, there is no dedicated cockpit seating aft the helm, just deck. Love it or hate it, I guess.

Aside from these quibbles, though, the J-28 represents a good alternative to the pricier J-32.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 10-30-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
BTW, I'd take exception to the J28's claim:

Quote:
Best Stability ...The J/28 is designed to perform with two people sitting in the cockpit, sailing to windward in 20 knots of wind. In fact, J/28 may be the fastest 28-footer in the world in those conditions. How? Well, if you don't have 6 gorillas on the rail (which you don't when cruising), you'd better have a HEAVY KEEL. J/28's 3,000-lb keel is lead, not iron.
Most 28' trimarans will toast the J28 in 20 knots of wind, on any point of sail. She may be the fastest 28' monohull...but not the fastest 28' boat.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-30-2008

eMKay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason3317 View Post
As with any 20 year cored hull, you'd benefit from a thorough survey to rule out any problems. Remember, cored = light weight, which may be important to you depending where you do your boating and the wind conditions. In the Chespeake, the summer winds can be light and a lighter boat is more easily driven. YMMV.

You didn't tell us what your sailing requirements or what other boats are on your shopping list. As the owner of J/28 #69, I can tell you that it is one of the best layouts and one of the roomiest 28 footers I have been on.

I particularly enjoy the aft head location and the galley is adequate for most. The forward V-berth is 6ft+ and the space includes room for dressing, a hanging locker and storage cabinents on opposite sides.

Modeled after the J/40, the best interior feature is the bulkhead mounted table, which folds down and expands with a hinged leaf. The port settee pulls out to a double.

Interior storage is adequate, but not huge. Two cockpit lockers do provide plently of room and access.

Sailing performance is excellent, with a large main and fractional rig. I typicall can sail at a little more than 1/2 the apparent wind with <10 knts true. My boat has the 5' std draft fin keel. I single hand 80% of the time and with the primary sail controls in the cockpit....life is good...easy to depower in the puffs.

Pricing for the J/28s on the market are fairly stable. With only 71 hulls and the "J/ Premium", I think 35-45k is reasonable for a well cared example. There are alot of less expensive options, but would not hesitate to buy my 28 again at that price.

Let me know if you want more info, or a few other pics.
Thanks for the review, my other choices are in my other thread...

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/buying...boat-down.html

Technician, RCR Yachts Buffalo.