Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Mike-

The Pearsons you're also looking at are pretty solid...and made by the folks that built the J28s IIRC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2008

jason3317 is on a distinguished road
The list of prospectives....

I agree with Dog that the quality of the Pearsons mentioned and the J/28 are probably similar.

Reading through the other thread, there seems to be a healthy mix of both entry level production boats (Hunter, Bene, Catalina) and models that were production, but produced in lower numbers (Js and Sabre and Tartan).

It's my opinion, that there is a significant difference in quality of these two segments in terms of how they were designed, built and, more importantly, equipped. The age of the boats you're considering probably exacerbates those points. I make this point since your put quality/appearance/comfort above performance. But, I encourage you not to discount performance too much...a boat that is an underacheiver under sail....is just that.

If the Hunter 27 is the top candidate at $40k, you were absolutely on the right track asking for opinions on the older Js and Sabres of equivalent sizes. With your timeframe....plently of time to continue the discovery and evaluation process.
Old 11-04-2008

Squamish is on a distinguished road
Most J's have balsa cored hull, are the decks also balsa core on the J/28? I am assuming they are.
Old 11-04-2008

jason3317 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squamish View Post
Most J's have balsa cored hull, are the decks also balsa core on the J/28? I am assuming they are.

Yes, the hull and deck are cored.
JS
Old 11-10-2008

I think all J/28 were sold with alcohol stoves, has any one out there with a J/28 converted to LPG?

My preference is for LPG (propane) and wonder how difficult is it to put in the required locker that vents outside.

Garry
Old 11-14-2008

Anyone familiar with a J/28, I have a few questions...

What are the sailing characteristics of the J/28? What does it sail like in light,medium and strong winds? What is it like in open water with large waves?

How do you like the interior layout / deck layout?

I am considering a boat in the 28 to 30 foot range and the J/28 is at the top of my list. But as far at 28 footers go, they are also at the top end of the price category in the $30-$40 K range (and used J/28's are 20 years old).

When I look at prices of boats on Yachtworld.com I can see a good range of boats in the $30-$40 K range that are 30-33 feet LOA. This makes me wonder if a J/28 is the best choice - do I continue to think about a nice 28 footer at the top of the price/size range, or should I look at something 2-4 foot bigger?

Garry
Old 11-14-2008

tommays will become famous soon enough
The Jboats sail well IF you like that kind of boat (race/cruise) compared to the other end of the spectrum of a full keel bluewater boat

They cost more now because they cost more then compared to some other boats and there are other boats in this size that cost even more if you keep going up in quality

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 02-08-2009

jfdubu is on a distinguished road
Kinda late getting here but, I have hull #11 J28 and love it. I agree with jason, This is a sweet and easy boat to sail and race. My usual set-up is a basic main and 135% jib and the boat handle up to 20 knots with out a reef. Late last year I put up a 105% jib and the boat sailed even better. Cockpit layout is great and I single hand most of the time. (my wife likes to sit on the boat but doesn't want to sail.) All my lines come back to the cockpit.

I do miss the quarterberth sometimes but the lazertte storage is un beatable. The v berth is plenty big for two and the with the table up in the main salon theres a good amount of space. I'll cruised/raced many a three day weekends with two other guys and not been uncomfortable. (I Get the v-berth.)

I keep saying I want a bigger boat,, that's frequently followed by why?

John W.
Old 02-08-2009

eMKay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfdubu View Post
Kinda late getting here but, I have hull #11 J28 and love it. I agree with jason, This is a sweet and easy boat to sail and race. My usual set-up is a basic main and 135% jib and the boat handle up to 20 knots with out a reef. Late last year I put up a 105% jib and the boat sailed even better. Cockpit layout is great and I single hand most of the time. (my wife likes to sit on the boat but doesn't want to sail.) All my lines come back to the cockpit.

I do miss the quarterberth sometimes but the lazertte storage is un beatable. The v berth is plenty big for two and the with the table up in the main salon theres a good amount of space. I'll cruised/raced many a three day weekends with two other guys and not been uncomfortable. (I Get the v-berth.)

I keep saying I want a bigger boat,, that's frequently followed by why?

John W.
Thanks, your review is not late, as I haven't bought a new boat yet. It's still on my list.
Old 02-24-2009

LennyR is on a distinguished road
Another J/28 owner

I'm even later to the party, as the owner of J/28 hull #29. I bought my boat at the end of last season and have not yet sailed it, so I can't contribute too much. I do know that the build quality is quite good. My boat, at least, has held up extremely well. The interior seems quite workable for a cruising couple.

There IS decent seating behind the wheel. In fact, there's a cushion-shaped indentation there, and the boats were delivered with a special firm cushion intended to give the helmsman a bit of a perch -- at least the other J/28 I looked at (before buying mine) had a cushion like that. The cushion for my boat has been lost, and I'm going to get one made.

Can't wait for the season to give "Ruffian" a good go. We'll sail out of Rockland, on the Maine coast.