Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2009
"Sparkie"

j34035 is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LennyR View Post
I'm even later to the party, as the owner of J/28 hull #29. I bought my boat at the end of last season and have not yet sailed it, so I can't contribute too much. I do know that the build quality is quite good. My boat, at least, has held up extremely well. The interior seems quite workable for a cruising couple.

There IS decent seating behind the wheel. In fact, there's a cushion-shaped indentation there, and the boats were delivered with a special firm cushion intended to give the helmsman a bit of a perch -- at least the other J/28 I looked at (before buying mine) had a cushion like that. The cushion for my boat has been lost, and I'm going to get one made.

Can't wait for the season to give "Ruffian" a good go. We'll sail out of Rockland, on the Maine coast.
That cushion is actually an enclosure for a throwable flotation device. Find another J/boat and measure/borrow to use as a pattern. It keeps a good throwable very handy at all times. I race against a J/28 some, and it does seem to do well in most wind conditions. Below it is the biggest 28' boat I have been on. What I like is they built the boat for 2 people instead of trying to have "berths for 6". Big main cabin and the v-berth is as big as the one on my 34 and my old 37 (both J's) I dont see how you could go wrong with a J/28 if that is the size you are looking for. I may be a bit biased though............
Jboat J/37c (new to me Jan 2011); J/22 #1003

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2009

LennyR is on a distinguished road
Other J/28 owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by j34035 View Post
That cushion is actually an enclosure for a throwable flotation device. Find another J/boat and measure/borrow to use as a pattern. It keeps a good throwable very handy at all times.

I would love to do that but don't know any other J/28 owners. I tried to send an e-mail to the owners who commented in this thread, but the Sailnet system wouldn't let me do it because I haven't posted enough... If those owners could get in touch with me, that would be great.
Old 02-27-2009
"Sparkie"

Quote:
I would love to do that but don't know any other J/28 owners. I tried to send an e-mail to the owners who commented in this thread, but the Sailnet system wouldn't let me do it because I haven't posted enough... If those owners could get in touch with me, that would be great.
The J/28, 34c,37, and 40 all use the same seat cushion. I am going to the boat this weekend and will check to see which size throwable it is, and take a couple of pictures. It wont be very hard to reproduce the cover you would need to make one. I had a new one made at a local automotive uhpolstery shop for about $50 including material.
DD

Edit:
The weather turned to crap!! 30 degrees with 30 mile per hour winds. Boat is on the hard so we left our work for another week. I will get photos of our helmsman cushion next weekend and post.

DD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j34035; 03-01-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-09-2009

kbianculli is on a distinguished road
If you haven't already purchased your boat then let me tell my opinions about the J-28. I own hull 71 and have so for 12 years. It is a great boat and plenty big enough even for extended cruises so long as you aren't sailing with more than 2 other people. I have comfortably gone for 3 week cruises with 3 of us aboard and while we may have been more comfortable on a larger boat I don't think the difference would be enough to offset the additional maintenance time/costs required. There is quite a bit of storage for a 28 foot boat. The cockpit lockers are cavernous and can benefit from some dividers/removable/sliding shelves to prevent things from just piling up in them. There is a fair bit of storage behind the setees and in the galley. The head is quite large for a 28 footer and since it is at the bottom of the companionway it is also very convinient to get to from the cockpit and keeps the rest of the cabin dry if you are sailing in the rain and go below to use it.

The boat sails like a dream. It handles heavy weather well, as an example I have flown the spinnaker for an extended period in 25 knots of wind and 8.5 knots of boat speed with out ever feeling like I was on the edge of a wipe out. It also keeps moving well in light weather, although once the apparent wind is between 150-180 degrees and below 8 knots or so you really need the spinnaker to keep moving well. The 40" wheel is great, I wouldn't go smaller. It allows you to brace your foot against the binnacle, comfortably reach the wheel and sit well out to weather while going upwind. The cockpit layout is fantastic for short handed or even single handed sailing with the main and jib sheets within easy reach of the wheel. Another boon for shorthanded sailing on this boat is the fact that the standard primary winches are self tailing.

The only problem area I have had with the core has been were the chainplates go through the deck. These move enough that it is very hard to seal and the core is exposed. It is a problem area on all J-boats of that era. The damage to the core in this location has been very localized to this location since, contrary to popular belief, water will not move horizontally across a balsa core UNLESS the core is delaminated from the fiberglass. A good survey should tell you what the problems are.

To sum up, I think the J-28 is as close to the perfect boat for me. I highly recommend it.
Old 03-14-2009

J/28 owners please contact me

As the new owner of J/28 hull #29, I would love the opportunity to learn more about these boats from other owners. Could owners email me at the following address: J28Ruffian at gmail dot com. Thanks.
Old 03-14-2009
"Sparkie"

[IMG][/IMG]
Quote:
I'm even later to the party, as the owner of J/28 hull #29. I bought my boat at the end of last season and have not yet sailed it, so I can't contribute too much. I do know that the build quality is quite good. My boat, at least, has held up extremely well. The interior seems quite workable for a cruising couple.

There IS decent seating behind the wheel. In fact, there's a cushion-shaped indentation there, and the boats were delivered with a special firm cushion intended to give the helmsman a bit of a perch -- at least the other J/28 I looked at (before buying mine) had a cushion like that. The cushion for my boat has been lost, and I'm going to get one made.

Can't wait for the season to give "Ruffian" a good go. We'll sail out of Rockland, on the Maine coast.
Sorry it took so long, but here is a couple of photos of my cushion:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The throwable horseshoe is made by Forespar. In the middle, there is a closed cell filler covered with vinyl and snaps on the front to keep it secure. If you need more detail, feel free to drop me a line.
DD

Old 03-17-2009

eMKay is on a distinguished road
The input is not late, and I appreciate it. I haven't bought a new boat yet. My list is getting shuffled around though, some boats crossed off, some added. Still the favorites are J/28, Catalina 28, Hunter 27 (current model, and Cherubini '80 to '84), Precision 27/28.
Old 03-18-2009

Where to get the cover and cushion?

Doug: I tried to email you from your link, but the system just shunted me to some other page. Anyway, do you have any idea where I could get the insert cushion and cover, assuming that I can buy the horseshoe? It looks like a neat setup. Lenny

PS: How does that flap with snaps work?

Last edited by LennyR; 03-21-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-06-2009

J/28 owners' web site has been established

If you are further interested in the J/28, check out this page:

J28Sailors : J28Sailors
Old 05-21-2009

J/28 Forum

There is a forum on Yahoo groups devoted to the J/28. Here's the link:

J28Sailors : J28Sailors