SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Anyone familiar with the J/28? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/48354-anyone-familiar-j-28-a.html)

eMKay 10-26-2008 06:26 PM

Anyone familiar with the J/28?

They only made 71 of them ('86 to '88) Nice sailplan, not ideal interior but the V-berth looks usable, cool cockpit, is the 40" wheel really necessary? Could it be swapped out for say a 28" wheel? Should I add this boat to my list? Cored hull worries me...

Ten Reasons to Own

http://www.jboats.com/j28/image/J28sailing.jpg

http://www.jboats.com/j28/image/J28dockside.jpg

sailingdog 10-26-2008 06:38 PM

I think one of the guys that's a regular on this forum owns one... maybe Jeff H??? not sure though.

Faster 10-26-2008 10:49 PM

This is similar in concept to the J-32 - It was part of JBoat's early foray into the cruiser market. I really like the 32, but they are rather pricey as a rule. I expect this would be much like that.. somewhat overpriced but a nice, solid cruiser with a good turn of speed.

Don't be so hasty to dismiss the larger wheel.. sitting outboard with the wheel easy to reach makes a lot of sense for visibility and steering in waves, and it also provides an extra bit of leverage with things load up.. If you buy it and want to swap I've got a 32" wheel we can talk about..

eMKay 10-26-2008 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 390844)
This is similar in concept to the J-32 - It was part of JBoat's early foray into the cruiser market. I really like the 32, but they are rather pricey as a rule. I expect this would be much like that.. somewhat overpriced but a nice, solid cruiser with a good turn of speed.

Don't be so hasty to dismiss the larger wheel.. sitting outboard with the wheel easy to reach makes a lot of sense for visibility and steering in waves, and it also provides an extra bit of leverage with things load up.. If you buy it and want to swap I've got a 32" wheel we can talk about..

The ones on yachtworld are very pricey, I'm wondering if they are worth it, they sure look well built in pictures.

edit: I just looked up the J/32...WOW! Now that's a pretty boat.

bubb2 10-26-2008 11:02 PM

A 20 year old balsa core hull would concern me also.

bubb2 10-26-2008 11:31 PM

I was just looking at the pricing of the J28 on yacht world. I agree with you kind of pricey. If you are looking for a 20 year old boat that you can use on the lake, i can think of few in that price range that i think would serve you better as weekender. A 28ft'er can get small for 2 or more people on weekends when the weather keeps you in the cabin. I justed picked one out on yacht world as an example.
1987 Pearson 31-2 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com=

mikehoyt 10-27-2008 11:48 AM

Cored hull

These were done for strength and lightness I believe. Cored hull is fine so long as the core is dry and hull not delaminated. I believe a survey with boat out of the water could easily detect these problems.

J boats tend to have areas of hull not cored near centerline for thru hulls, etc... which makes water intrusion into core less of an issue.

J boats usually have cored deck..Deck and coachroof have a LOT of holes for fittings, etc... which are great paths for water to follow to soak into core. While deck recoring is not nearly the work of hull recoring and not nearly the issue it is where I suspect you would have more problems in this 20 year old boat.

If you like the boat make the offer subject to survey and have the surveyor check for wet deck and hull. If these areas check out as fine then you will have a great boat that sails very well.

Mike

bubb2 10-27-2008 12:11 PM

Mike I agree with every thing you said. I will say I am a belt and suspenders sort of guy. Neither gel coat or fiberglass is imperious to water intrusion. I know all about barrier coats. But one good bang against a dock during a storm when you are not there, can spider crack the gel coat and start a path way to the core. If I was not a racer, it is one less thing to worry about. A boat is a major investment for most people. I feel a balsa cored hull is an investment risk.

For a weekend cruiser that is left in the water all season long the J28 would not be my boat of choice. But if I want to go fast and could dry sail it I might be looking at the J28.

tommays 10-27-2008 12:28 PM

It has been my experance with Jboats that when they are HIT in a race the core is so STIFF it punches a nice allmost round hole with very local dammage

Compared to other styles of glass that may spread the dammage out over a much bigger area

Delirious 10-27-2008 01:31 PM

Is that a good thing? Isn't the intention of long fibers in the matrix to spread the stress/strain and prevent a hull failure?

I'd rather smack a submerged piling and limp back with $2,000 in future glass work waiting at the yard than be submerged beside the piling with $200 in glass work and $12,000 in ruined equipment and gear.