SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Composite Questions.... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/48512-composite-questions.html)

DonofPaw 10-31-2008 12:05 PM

Composite Questions....

Hello I was wondering if it is easier to insure and finance a boat with a composite hull. The material being wood coated in West System Cold Molded and then coated in Fiberglass. I could use any education I can get in this area as I know nothing of this time of material.

sailingdog 10-31-2008 12:27 PM

You're talking about a cold-molded wood boat. I don't see it as being any easier or harder to get one insured and financed than one made of fiberglass... which many times has a wooden core to the laminate. :)

Cold molded wooden boats are often stronger, stiffer and lighter than fiberglass boats, since the wood has greater strength to weight than most GRP resins. :) They also have higher fatigue resistance than GRP does.

However, if the epoxy/fiberglass skin is breached, they can suffer from much the same fate as a cored laminate GRP boat, where the core material rots and the material delaminates.

This is a pretty common method for constructing home-built and larger custom built multihulls. They're very pretty boats and very durable. A couple of advantages they have over GRP boats are: The interiors are generally warmer and quieter, since wood is a far better insulator of both heat and sound. The interiors are often left with a clear epoxy finish that allows you to see the beauty of the underlying wood...so they're often much prettier on the inside than GRP boats...

camaraderie 10-31-2008 02:22 PM

Cold molded is one thing and some VERY fine and expensive boats continue to be made useing this method...A wooden boat then "sealed" in resin is a different story all together and may be quite a bit more difficult to both survey and insure as they tend to be quite problematic.
It is unclear from your post just which method you are talking about but if it is indeed a cold molded boat with a final layer of resin that is in good condition, you should find no problem in getting insurance.

DonofPaw 10-31-2008 02:41 PM

Cold Molding

Materials include Alaskan cedar for hull covered with 8 ounce cloth and epoxy, Sitka spruce for masts, teak for decks, red cedar for pilot house and birch and mahogany for interior. All exterior wood is covered with fiberglass and epoxy and never needed repainting in 11 years of use.

All ribs and keel member are laminated hard wood and ribs extend across keel and into bulwarks. A method of building was used to have every component of interior make intimate contact with hull and carry some load, accomplished by building the boat from the inside out (applying hull very last).

All wood was treated with penetrating epoxy to make the wood resist rot and give it a much harder surface. Bulk heads , deck house and floor boards are made of 7 plywood, deck has 2 layers of marine plywood covered with epoxy and cloth and thick teak glued to it.

tommays 10-31-2008 03:27 PM

I think your going to find that WHO built the boat will be the issue