Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2008

Mustangsally is on a distinguished road
Passport 41

Hi,
I am considering purchasing a Passport 41. Any feed back good or bad thoughts would be great!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Nice boats, generally speaking highly regarded.

In his book Bob Perry reckons the ketch was a better choice than the sloop.

Yoou should get his book if you are thinking of buying a P40/41 but also a google search should bring up plenty of links to this design.

LaBatt , one of the old timers here has one and is worth talking to.

There is also a Passport 40 Owners site out there somewhere.

In the older models you need to watch out for teak deck problems and iron tanks. While it's not a Perry design we recently went through the procedure of looking to buy an old (1980) P42 and ran away from her because of those very problems. Cost of rectification was horrendous. I'd also prefer one that had a Yanmar engine.

Otherwise , and presuming that by now some of the slightly dodgey Taiwanese hardware has been replaced, they have absolutely beautiful interiors, a nice hull shape and no major vices as far I know anyway.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 11-07-2008
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
We looked at some Passports. I thought they were a pretty boat too. I found lots of information about them on the web. In the end, we found a comparable boat for a lot less money so we went with a Fraser instead.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 11-07-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
We looked at some Passports. I thought they were a pretty boat too. I found lots of information about them on the web. In the end, we found a comparable boat for a lot less money so we went with a Fraser instead.
Erps,
I don't suppose you have an interior layout of the Fraser do you ? I've got a few image files off the web but nothing that shows sleeping quarters. If you have I'd appreciate the info.
Thanks

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 11-07-2008
Charter Captain

Location: Buffalo, NY (warm months), Liveaboard in Caribbean (cold months)
harryrezz is on a distinguished road
Hey, Mustang - I'm posting a reply for two reasons: I know these boats fairly well and your user name is one of my absolute FAVORITE songs! Was the theme somg of a blues group I used to play with!
PP40/41 is a great boat. Strong, comfortable and forgiving. Close friends of ours have been living aboard for several years now and they love their boat. Only problem I know of they've had is a chainplate let go two years ago under very nasty conditions between Grenada and Carriacou. They replaced it with no problems - and went on to replace all the rest while they were at it ... not unusual in a boat over 20 years of age!
Great layout for liveaboards - solid and comfortable. They are a bit underpowered, however - more engine would be good if you are planning to be in an area where motoring/motorsailing will be fairly frequent.
If the price is right and she's in good shape, buy it!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Located Southern Caribbean
Old 11-07-2008
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Many of the Frasers were owner finished, so the floor plans vary. Ours is one of four that was finished by a boat yard. One of her sisterships has a name like Ardmarchree or something like that and is down there in your neck of the woods around New Zealand. It has a separate shower stall and tub off the head that is different from the typical layout. I just checked the web and found another for sale over in Singapore named "No Komis". No Komis has been all over the Pacific and down to Cape Horn. I'll see if I can find a layout in our paperwork.

This is one of the floor plans. Ours has an aft cabin and the separate tub/shower off the head.

La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.

Last edited by erps; 11-07-2008 at 10:33 PM.
Old 11-07-2008

[QUOTE=harryrezz;398361]Hey, Mustang - I'm posting a reply for two reasons: I know these boats fairly well and your user name is one of my absolute FAVORITE songs! Was the theme somg of a blues group I used to play with!
PP40/41 is a great boat. Strong, comfortable and forgiving. Close friends of ours have been living aboard for several years now and they love their boat. Only problem I know of they've had is a chainplate let go two years ago under very nasty conditions between Grenada and Carriacou. They replaced it with no problems - and went on to replace all the rest while they were at it ... not unusual in a boat over 20 years of age!
Great layout for liveaboards - solid and comfortable. They are a bit underpowered, however - more engine would be good if you are planning to be in an area where motoring/motorsailing will be fairly frequent.
If the price is right and she's in good shape, buy it![/Q
Old 11-07-2008

Thanks for your reply. We are very impressed with layout. The one we are looking at does not have teak decks. We would rather not have teak decks anyway. Fuel tank is iron but incased in fiberglass. It is located up and way from bilge that makes it little better. They seem to be well built and good quality. But we need to continue to due research before we make the move. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 11-08-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
We have friends that bought a late '80s P40 and in the past two years have been busy refitting and equipping her for a serious passage. She is a beauty,the interior layout (theirs is not the head-in-forepeak layout) is good, the table and dinette very comfortable. Finish is quite amazing.

After adding solar, wind vane, SSB and other myriad essentials and nice-to-haves they departed this past August and are now in the Catalina Islands/LA area on their way to Mexico for the winter.

By all accounts the boat is perfoming well despite a couple of engine (Perkins) related glitches, now solved, mostly relating to overheating.

While not a boat we can afford, or would necessarily want for coastal cruising, I think its an ideal candidate for what they are up to.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-08-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Ray ,

Thanks for that, much appreciated. Any further pics you find don't hesitate to send. I can supply you with email address if that makes it easier for you.

Not many of these about I realise but I'm always interested in investigating any likely boat in the 40 odd foot range. As you see the Fraser as a Passport alternative it piqued my interest.

Cheers

Andrew