Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2008
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
Off to visit another long-distance boat this weekend.

Although this refrain is somewhat familiar, it's very theraputic for me to post about it, so I hope you don't mind. My wife and I are off to visit another boat out of our area again this weekend.

As much as we really want "our boat" to show up on the market locally, so far that hasn't materialized. This one is in the northeast, and would probably represent a 7 or 8 day sail home in the spring. Of course, we're in no rush, so the only way we put an offer on this boat is if it's really sweet. But the only way we'll know is if we check it out, right?

For those who don't know, we've put offers on two boats thus far. For the first, the broker turned out to be shady. The second boat we went all the way to survey and found a ton of blisters on the bottom. So back to drawing board we went.

So really, this is just an update. I'll let you know what we find when we get back. We've looked at so many boats already that I don't want to get my hopes up. But it's hard not to hope!
Thanks,
-J
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-12-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-12-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Have you considered having someone in the area go and look at the boat before you make travel plans? There are many on this forum that have/will volunteer to go have a look for you and let you know if it is worth the trip or not.

Just something to consider.
Old 11-12-2008
Pearson 31-2 #80 ('87)

Delirious is on a distinguished road
Best of luck.

Ours is going on the truck tomorrow and should be "home" Friday. Next time I buy a boat it will be from WHERE I intend to use it. This has been a logistical learning experience; trying to get five seperate groups to handle the boat in the proper sequence - seller, hauling yard (seller kept it at a private dock w/no lift or crane and the hauling yard keeps the transient clock ticking every moment it is there plus the haul fee), mast unstepper/derigger/packer (closest yard with lift does not do rigging), trucker, receiving yard up here.

All with open pockets looking for bags of money. Sheesh! No doubt about it self-delivery is the way to go. My "fix her up" cash reserve kitty is looking like it went a few rounds with a Doberman.
Charlie P. P31-2 #80 CATNAP

To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive - R.L. Stevenson

I suspect that, if you should go to the end of the world, you would find somebody there going farther . . . - H.D. Thoreau

Last edited by Delirious; 11-12-2008 at 10:05 PM.
Old 11-12-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Not to jump on the bandwagon but ...

There are a ton of folks who have said they would take a look at a local boat for you in the north east on the 'Local boat buying assistance' sticky. I posted there as well being a sort of amateur marine surveyor myself. I have a digital camera and would climb over the boat for you and send more pics but I doubt they would let me start up the engine at this point.
Of course you ultimately have to touch it and feel it yourself so I hope the trip is worth while for you.
As SD said, good luck.

Everybody has one:

Old 11-13-2008
Unpaid Intern

All good points. I'd thought of that on a previous boat, but for some reason it did not occur to me this time to ask someone to check it out. I'll keep that in mind for next time.

I think this time, we'll go ahead and make the trip. We're already planning to do it, and if the boat is a good one, then it will help that we've seen it earlier rather than later in this case.

But thanks everyone for the suggestion. I think next time, I'll will indeed ask someone to check the boat out first. It does help to have someone besides the broker tell you what they see before making a long trip! Thanks again!
-J
Old 11-13-2008
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
Don't forget to bring your moisture meter ...

I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok
Old 11-13-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Might be worth having somebody take a look anyway. Getting a second opinion. Might hear something different from the broker. They could drop a line to the broker that the boat isn't worth half the asking price!
Old 11-13-2008
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Stick with it. Your boat will show up. If it's on Long Island, let me know. I'll help too.
Old 11-14-2008
Unpaid Intern

Thanks, I really appreciate the offer. The folks here on Sailnet have been great.

We're heading out tomorrow to go one with our trip. Of course, I'll report back.

If this isn't "the boat" though, next time we find one up in that area I might ask for help taking a look first. Certainly worth it if someone is willing to help out!
Thanks again!
-J