Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2008

SpeedAgent is on a distinguished road
Wet interior-bottom of bulkhead

Hello,

I'm new to the forum (will be intro'ing myself in next thread) and I am looking at a Cal 27' T2. I saw the boat this past weekend and really liked it. I am having an inspector come out to the boat with me tomorrow to thoroughly check it over. One thing I did notice was a moldy spot and dampness on the very bottom of the bulkhead. There was also a damp spot in another area, but I did not take pictures so I can't really describe it.

I'm new to sailboats so I'm looking for advice on what potential issues or trouble spots I should be aware of. Is a leak in this area typical of most older boats or typical of a particulare issue? I will be doing all of the refurb myself if I get this.

Also, I'm not exactly sure it is a T2. The ad says it, but I am having trouble finding much in the way of information on this boat.

If anyone has any advice please let me know.

Regards,

Chris
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-17-2008
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Chris,

Welcome to the forums. I'm sure you'll find a lot of help here.

Wet bulkheads can often mean leaky chainplates, since many boats use bulkheads as anchoring points for the chainplates. Chainplates (and most deck hardware) are prone to leaking on almost any older boat and should be inspected carefully. Of course, the wet bulkhead could also be the result of any number of other issues such as leaking portlights, leaking hatches, bilge water, etc. Do not more forward with the purchase until you've identified the culprit!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-17-2008
Retired and happy

Leither is on a distinguished road
If your inspector does his job properly, he will give you a clear indication of whether or not this is a serious problem.

Older boats (and even some newer ones!) can often leak eg from the port windows or from deck fittings or hull/deck seam. However, water which has apparently been collecting over a long period of time indicates that the owner has either not noticed it or not attended to it. Then you have to ask - what else might have been neglected?

Good luck with the inspection.

Stuart

I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky - I left my shoes and socks there, I wonder if they're dry?
Old 11-17-2008

The wood around the chainplates looked fine. As you look down to where this piece of wood ends (right where it meets the seating surface in the galley) it begins to show white traces of mildew and then dampness and black mold. The wood here is damp and it has stayed wet since the cushion was also damp and turning colors from the mold.

The current owner is in the middle of a mild rennovation and he may not know exactly what he is doing since the port windows were kept open, I'm guessing to ventilate. There is a cover over the "doghouse", but it isn't waterproof. The cover doesn't look as old as the mold so I'm guessing the open windows aren't the actual problem or issue I'm looking for.

Chris
Old 11-17-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
By inspector, I hope you mean a certified marine surveyor with fiberglass sailboat expertise.

If the bottom of the bulkhead is wet, chances are pretty good that the bottom of the bulkhead is rotted out or on its way there... and if the water came from the chainplates—a lot of the bulkhead may be shot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-17-2008

121Guy is on a distinguished road
Hi Speed

Your inspector / surveyor (I hope) should be able to identify the severity and cause of the problem. Is it surface mold or is the wooden bulkhead rotted at the bottom? If it is rotted at the bottom, some standing water may have wicked up the open grain of the bulkhead. This happens with lots of open grain hardwood and many plywoods. If it is rotted, the fix is a job that can be done at a modest cost and should provide basis for a reduction in price if you are amenable to the boat and the repair process.

Lot's of people here are very helpful in all matters of repairs so if you want to post some photos, I'm sure you will get some good advice.

Good luck!

121 Guy
Old 11-17-2008
Retired and happy

Leither is on a distinguished road
It is obviously hard to judge without actually being able to inspect the problem, but from your description, it sounds as though the dampness is on the opposite side of the bulkhead. Is that open to inspection or does it butt up against another surface? It could be dripping from the doghouse, or running down from a leak in the deck, or even coming from the galley area?

Stuart

I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky - I left my shoes and socks there, I wonder if they're dry?
Old 11-17-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Here's a link to another T2 for sale for reference.. it should confirm (or not) that this is a T2. btw, T2s are great PHRF sleepers and do very well when well sailed.

1974 Cal 27 T2, Kentucky Lake, Kentucky, $6,950

Good luck... second all the comments about a good surveyor, keep your eyes open.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-17-2008

EDIT: fourth pic down in that link-the left side of the bulkhead where it meets the seating/cushion is where the wood is wet and moldy in mine. I believe there is a port above the bulkhead in this area.

I think it is open to inspection. I will look very thoroughly tomorrow and will take a camera and a flashlight. I really like this boat, but I'm in no position to take on a complete restoration.

The inspector knows I'm a DIY'er so his advice and opinions should be somewhat honest. I won't pay anyone for anything I can't do myself.

Thanks for the advice.

Chris

Last edited by SpeedAgent; 11-17-2008 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11-19-2008

Hey Guys,

Just to update you-I passed on this boat. The inspector was worth the money and I eventually just walked away based on the time needed to bring this thing up to a condition that is decent enough to bring my family on. The motor was great, probably worth more than the boat two times over. The boat also came with 6 sales, also probably worth several times the boats value, but the deck was completely rotted and the fiberglass was seperated from where it meets the port hole in the deck. There was rot in the bulkhead, not where I thought, but on the other side near the bottom. It could be fixed, but would require labor on my part and a lot of time.

I liked the boat and did consider the purchase since it had a great motor and tons of sails, but bottom line is I just don't have the time now to spend fixing it and time isn't growing on trees-another baby on the way.

Right now I'm looking at a couple of Catalina 27's that look very well kept. I will be taking an inspector with me on those as well.

Thanks for the advice,

Chris