Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2008

Waterrat is on a distinguished road
Salty Boat any ideas

Some boats just stir something in us that make us love them. I love the salty folk boat look. I have picked out a few types to illustrate what I am looking for and am hoping that with a little of everyones expertise we could expand this list.
Cape Dory 25
Greenwich 24
Bristol 24, 25, 26, 27

Okay here are important specs.
10K 2-3K refit. Prefer less.
4-9K displacement handling and rowability
Less then 30 for cost, handling, rowability, and did I say cost including long term costs
I love the outboard well and prefer an outboard. Not hanging off the back.
Seakindly for their size.

Current planned use is crusing Great Lakes
Future plans will include cruising east coast and remotly possible the caribean. I know it is small. I have lived months out of a Kayak and years in a tent I am sure I can do it in a 25 foot sailboat. Only me with occasional guest that understand how small it is.

I have looked at Bayfield 25 but from what I can tell, is that in a blow it would be a rough ride. Not much ballast and not much of a keel.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
A little bit above your price range, but the Pacific Seacraft 25 might be worth a look. It has an inboard diesel, which I would consider a big plus. You might be able to negotiate a better deal or wait for one to come along:

PSC 25 Example

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 11-18-2008

paulk is on a distinguished road
The boats you've mentioned look pretty heavy to row. If you like "folk" type boats, perhaps a Folkboat would work. The low freeboard aft and (relatively) light weight would make rowing easier. Don't know about an outboard well.
Try this link for more information: sfbayfolkboats.org/
Old 11-18-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
The boats you've mentioned look pretty heavy to row. If you like "folk" type boats, perhaps a Folkboat would work. The low freeboard aft and (relatively) light weight would make rowing easier. Don't know about an outboard well.
Try this link for more information: sfbayfolkboats.org/
Good suggestion Paul!

The 26' Folkboats (by Marieholm) do have outboard wells, but some owners report that they are a bit problematic under certain conditions. However, the Folkboat is so slippery that you'd hardly ever need the outboard. They are great sailing boats, in both light and heavy air.

Notoriously wet boats, though. Wet from bow spray, that is.

If you or anyone else is interested in the Folkboat, I know of a nice example that is unofficially for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 11-18-2008

I love the PSC 25 and if I found one at the right price and with the right survey for sure.

Everyone should check out the photos on sfbayfolkboasts.org/ very beatiful girls. Maybe a little smaller then I am looking for. The rowability is not of high importnace. I have a lot of reason for the oars but speed is not one. I would mostly use them for short duration and manuaver ability and the rythmic methodical meditation paddling and rowing offer.

Thanks for the great info. Rat.
Old 11-19-2008

sander06 is on a distinguished road
Check out Atom Voyages | Voyaging Around the World on the Sailboat Atom with James and Mei. He sails in a little Pearson all over the place and he has a list of small boats right up your alley. A little 25-footer is plenty big enough for doing the kind of cruising you're talking about. With all due respect to PSC, they're very over-built for just messing about in the Carib or for coastal sailing. I'd like to own one, but there are many other boats that would fill the bill for a lot less $$$. Good luck, Mate.

Finding the right boat is like finding a wife. It takes a while and sometimes more than one try!!
Old 11-19-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just remember, there are a quite a few folkboat variants out there, like the Contessa 26.

Waterrat-

I'd highly recommend you take a look at James Baldwin's recently published list of pocket cruisers. LINK

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-19-2008

Great info. I have looked at James Baldwins site but it has been awhile and had kind of forgot about it. I feel a conection with Baldwin because he is or was a Michigander. There are some great recomendations on his site. He posted the Bayfield 25 for circling the blue. I realize there are way more variables then the boat but I feel if it is really blowing that boat would be a very rough ride. Am I way off. I have never sailed one but with that beam, shallow keel, and low ballest it just seems like it would not be a great sailor except for maybe 15-20 Knots of wind. That is only my 2cents and I am not in the know. I am going to continue looking through Baldwins list of boats.

Saildog you are definetly correct on the Contessa 26. I would consider one if it fell in the correct range and checked out with a good survey. What other boats are folk boat types? Thanks for all the great info. Rat
Old 11-19-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Southern Cross 28 would seem to fit your style.

Old 11-20-2008

sander06 is on a distinguished road
With all due respect, I've always thought it rather pretentious to have wheel-steering on a 28-foot boat as shown on the first Southern Cross image. Good boat, however, IMHO.