Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2008

SpeedAgent is on a distinguished road
'77 Catalina 27'

I took a look at a nicely kept Cat 27 this morning. The motor is a Mercury from 2001 and seems to work fine. Deck is solid and most of the cockpit is in good condition-minus some issues with the locker in the rear-the lid seems to be off a little, but doesn't seem too bad and not uncommon. The galley is a little bland, but clean and I could only find a small leak coming from a tiny hole in the deck-the topside showed no hole so I'm guessing it is from an old hardware hole that was repaired. Leak does not appear to have been there long as there were no water stains and no evidence other than a small drop of water on the hole. The cushions were recently covered, although only one fit perfectly. The others seem to be made for another boat. The bilge had water in it and the pump was there, but disconnected and the wires were laying in the water. The battery was poorly wired, but nothing that can't be fixed. I could only get the CD player to work, no interior lights. I'm hoping I was not doing something right, but my guess is the battery didn't have enough power. The two sails look a little dated as the threads were slightly frayed, but in usable condition for at least a season. All in all I liked the boat for what it is and what I want it for.

This owner bought the boat for her son and his girlfriend and they no longer use it. She had it listed early in the summer for $6500 and recently lowered it to $5k. I will be taking a surveyor out to see what I noticed and to look for more. I don't think these issues are bad enough to walk away if it is a good price. Cosmetically, this boat is nearly perfect. It is a little sparse on the inside and the berth is very small-large enough for only my 3yr old and her cousin.

If the survey was positive and I could easily fix the issues listed above is it out of the question to offer $3,200? This person has no interest in keeping this boat and has mentioned twice in two conversations that she is willing to negotiate off her price.

Thanks,

Chris
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-20-2008
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
Low BUC is 7900.

I'd go for it.

What can she do, say no??
Old 11-20-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Nothing to lose by trying, somebody will profit from this person's desperation. They are free to counter your offer of course rather than dismiss it altogether.

Sounds like a reasonable deal, pending what your surveyor may find. These things are the "Chevy Malibu" of the seas, so lots of them around to choose from if this one goes bad.

For a little more space you might consider the Ranger 28/29,though good examples will fetch a bit higher asking prices. You'll be getting a performance bump too. But the C27 is a proven starter package and can certainly get you where you want to go. (for now!)

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-20-2008

SpeedAgent is on a distinguished road
Just did a quick NADA-low retail was $8550, but I'm not sure how much stock you guys put into NADA prices.
Old 11-20-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Speed,

I sail a C27. They are tough, great old boats - but won't live up to your name. If it's as well taken care of as you say - I think you're getting a good deal - even if you can't get her too far below 5. The newer motor sure helps a lot as well.

Work that poor old lady, dude! Good luck.
Old 11-20-2008

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
I lived aboard a Catalina 27 for several years in Southern California.

She sailed well, was relatively roomy for a boat of that size, and worked well for me, considering my limited budget and affinity for tight spaces.

I kept my stuff in the quarterberth and vee berth, and folded out the starboard settee for my berth. This one had been converted with a piano hinge, piece of marine plywood and leg for that purpose.

The boat is a great coastal cruiser, and many thousands were produced for good reason.

Good luck to you on your potential boat purchase!

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 11-20-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
If you get her, I know of someone that has some newer kevlar sails they might like to pawn off on you too!

Sounds like an overall good deal if you can get it.

marty
Old 11-20-2008
Banned

seawitch1906 is on a distinguished road
C27 77

$3200 is more than enough for that old tub in this days .. you can get a 30 around 5000 evert day of the week .. problem she still a C...
Joke ( I know i wil get all kind static for that ) but really you can get a Yankee 30 S&S around 5 ..
I believe 3000 would be the right money if she survey good
Old 11-20-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
While a Yankee 30 would be a better nicer boat, the one across from my slip is 10x the asking price for OP's C27 he is looking at. Altho looking at yachtworld for Yankee 30's the pricing is all over the lace, from 10-15K to close to 60K for some! These must be really dependent upon how they were kept up etc to have that big a spread.
Old 11-20-2008
Banned

seawitch1906 is on a distinguished road
the point is

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
While a Yankee 30 would be a better nicer boat, the one across from my slip is 10x the asking price for OP's C27 he is looking at. Al-tho looking at yacht world for Yankee 30's the pricing is all over the lace, from 10-15K to close to 60K for some! These must be really dependent upon how they were kept up etc to have that big a spread.
77 is a old boat .. Nada has nothing to do with it nor Buc reality is you can buy a better boat then c27 for not much more or close to it that old firewood 27 worth 3k the most .. don't look asking prices look sold records ... but any way a lot of good deals out there now all over .. so don't be shy offer 3000