Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2008

drymartini is on a distinguished road
Alden Caravelle

Looking for information, opinions, advice, experiences re: Alden Caravelle.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-08-2008

sharedwatch is on a distinguished road
Hello,
Not much information out there on these boats. Five were built in Maine by the Hodgons yard and 13 in Denmark that were layed up by Halmatic and mostly finished by Molich but I think a couple other yards also finished them.

I can tell you that they are built like a battleship and are of a high quality build.

Are you considering purchasing one? The one listed on Yachtworld is an absolute gem.
Old 12-08-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Beautiful...

Beautiful boats and built like tanks. Sensu is the last one built and is all glass. She is stunning..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 12-10-2008

Alden Caravelle

Yes, I am seriously considering the boat listed, but wanted to get more info (build quality, sailing perf, etc). Expect similar characteristic to a B40. Plan to use her for extensive cruising from the east coast to the Bahamas and Carribean.
Old 12-10-2008

petmac is on a distinguished road
Caravelle listed is a beautiful boat but the price seems very high to me. There was a nice one in Florida awhile ago at about half the price. For the asking price of $195,000 you could buy a very nice B40. Resale value of B40 would probably be better. B40 is a bit beamier and shallower draft with board up for cruising Bahamas,etc. Just my biased opinion.
Old 12-10-2008

sharedwatch is on a distinguished road
Well, I may be a bit biased too. I just purchased one of the Hodgdon built boats. I didn't pay what they are asking for the boat listed but the one listed looks like it is museum quality.

I remember the Florida boat and it had the stepped cabin house that doesn't have as nice of lines. (in my opinion)

I suspect they are a much better performer than the B-40, probably more similar to the Hinckley 41. If you like this style of boat and don't need the shallow draft of the centerboarder I would recommend either the Caravelle or a Hinckley 41. Of those two I chose the Caravelle. If I found a Hinckley competition 41 I may have gone another direction.

Good Luck!
Old 12-11-2008

Alden Caravelle

Sharedwatch, I am quite interested in your comments re: performance similar to the C41, in that I have recently sailed a beatifully restored 41 and was quite impressed. Strickly by the numbers I did not expect that of the Caravelle (although I may not have the sail area properly figured into my calculations). Since you are an owner, I would like to know more about your experiences (both sailing performance and maintenance aspects) with her. Thx in advance.
Old 12-11-2008

jimmalkin is on a distinguished road
Sailed on one in the Caribbean in the early '70s. A lovely boat, great lines, nice interior. My recollection is that she was a good sailor on a reach but tended to hobbyhorse close hauled in a moderate headsea. Also - but you know this - that's a lot of bright work to maintain in the Bahama and Caribbean sunlight. In comparison to the B40s on which I've sailed, the Alden seemed quicker. Also - I suspect that on a comparable boat for boat basis, the Alden would be better value for your purchase dollars. (also true on your sale date - but you've got less money into the adventure...so you can pay for maintenance, upgrades and fun boat stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

White Rabbit
Vineyard Haven
Old 12-11-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmalkin View Post
Sailed on one in the Caribbean in the early '70s. A lovely boat, great lines, nice interior. My recollection is that she was a good sailor on a reach but tended to hobbyhorse close hauled in a moderate headsea. Also - but you know this - that's a lot of bright work to maintain in the Bahama and Caribbean sunlight. In comparison to the B40s on which I've sailed, the Alden seemed quicker. Also - I suspect that on a comparable boat for boat basis, the Alden would be better value for your purchase dollars. (also true on your sale date - but you've got less money into the adventure...so you can pay for maintenance, upgrades and fun boat stuff.
The Alden C41 is a beautiful boat. Don't know if its any faster than the B40 on a reach. Going to weather it probably is. Not all B40s were created equal in relation to performance. The Mark III has a mast height 6 1/2 ft higher than the original Custom B40 and is 1000 lbs heavier in displacement. I own a Mark III sloop which I modified further. She has a carbon spar 4 1/2 ft higher than that of the original Mark III rig and probably about 200 lbs lighter as the original mast had a furling main sail. The new rig is about the same as that on a SW42 and she now carries about 8% more sail area than the original Mark III sloop. Made a great difference in the performance of the boat.
I really like your Passport 50.
Old 12-11-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharedwatch View Post
Well, I may be a bit biased too. I just purchased one of the Hodgdon built boats. I didn't pay what they are asking for the boat listed but the one listed looks like it is museum quality.

I remember the Florida boat and it had the stepped cabin house that doesn't have as nice of lines. (in my opinion)

I suspect they are a much better performer than the B-40, probably more similar to the Hinckley 41. If you like this style of boat and don't need the shallow draft of the centerboarder I would recommend either the Caravelle or a Hinckley 41. Of those two I chose the Caravelle. If I found a Hinckley competition 41 I may have gone another direction.

Good Luck!
You could probably buy an Alden 44 for less money than the Caravelle listed. Less draft with board up for Bahamas, less brightwork to look after, and very good performance. Not as pretty as the Caravelle.
There is a nice Hinckley 41 on the market that has been refit with a cabon spar. Price is in the $135,000 range I believe. Probably a lot less room below than the Caravelle.