Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2008

dwightgry is on a distinguished road
What cats are similar to PDQ 36?

I am looking at purchasing a cat in the near future, and like some things about the PDQ 36. The plan is for 2 people to cruise the Caribbean for a couple of years. I like the galley down, large salon, and 2 staterooms. This gives good usable space in a relatively small cat. Can anyone suggest other makes that would be similar in concept? Thanks. ( I also just started a thread in sailboat design and construction about an intersting site where someone added hull extensions to a PDQ 36. The site is pdq36.blogspot.com )
Old 11-24-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Other catamarans that you might want to consider:

Currently in production

Gemini—about 1000 made in various models, latest being the 105M
TomCat 30, MaineCat 30, both might be a bit small for you
Seawind 1100

Older models

Prout Snowgoose 37
Iroquois
Catalac 8m/9m
Seawind 1000

Some of these, like the Gemini, have a large master stateroom and two doubles, and then the head. Some only have two staterooms, with no master stateroom.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-26-2008

dwightgry is on a distinguished road
Thanks SD. Been looking at cats on the net for the last day, and realized I've overlooked Prout due to pre-conceived ideas about a solid fordeck and mid-hull nacelle. However, there are a lot of Prouts out there and they can't be all that bad. And it seems that prices have dropped a bit also. Prout has a lot of different models, so there should be one with an acceptable layout for consideration.
Old 12-09-2008

whershfeld is on a distinguished road
Have You Considered a Gemini?

Hi Dwight -

I noticed your post about planning to cruising the Caribbean and that you are considering various cruising catamarans.

Head on over to PerformanceCruising_dot_com or ring me at 410.626.2720 for all the latest on the Gemini 105Mc Cruising Catamaran. I look forward to talking about your plans and how the Gemini might fulfill your requirements.
Old 12-09-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
I'll second Will's (Whersheld) recommendation on Gemini's, and I don't even work there

I am a tad bit biased, but you can't do better for the money.
Old 12-09-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Will—

Be aware that you should have your company name in both your title and signature. Please read the full disclosure policy that is located HERE.

Let me add that Will Hershfeld is one of the people I know from Performance Cruising, and a good egg.

DK

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-09-2008
sailor

captsuz is on a distinguished road
Love the PDQ 36'

I've been watching all the PDQ 36's for sale, even considered making an offer on a PDQ 34' which is the predecessor of the 36. Convinced the 36' is the better boat with extended 'head' room for a shower. Been on Gemini 105 Mc, my brother has one, and I still would hold out for a PDQ. I would insist on a hard dodger/bimini too. There are Wildcats and just saw an "American Multihull" that looks interesting! Plus all the French boats, Pajot, etc. The Canadian PDQ is a solid boat with high quality construction. May also want to check out the older 32' Catfisher, if you're looking for deals. I like the 36' size for 1 or 2.
Waiting for the right deal and the real estate market~
Old 12-09-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Will—

Be aware that you should have your company name in both your title and signature. Please read the full disclosure policy that is located HERE.

Let me add that Will Hershfeld is one of the people I know from Performance Cruising, and a good egg.

DK
A very, very good, straight from the truth egg.
Not many folks at a boat manufacturer call you back on your cell on sundays to make sure your problem was taken care of. Both Will and Tony Smith have done that for me.
Old 12-09-2008
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road
What is the head room in a PDQ36?
Old 12-10-2008
sailor

captsuz is on a distinguished road
Love the PDQ 36'

6'4" (headroom) What I like most about the PDQ accommodations is the layout of the forward berths....I prefer a side entrance to berths...eliminates that whole "making the bed while you're on top of it" dilemma. Feels like sleeping quarters instead of the otherwise "tube" berth (going in for another MRI tonite). ; )