Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Get your own survey... as GreatWhite points out, they usually pay for themselves.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-25-2008
Banned

seawitch1906 is on a distinguished road
survey integrety @!

I'm reading some notes here about bias survey , from the" Brokers surveyor" as I just read above a few post and getting upset a bit ...

it is pretty resentful statement ..if you deal with a broker who has "his own" surveyor .. well he should not be a broker at all ..

I'm dealing with all sort of boats, wood , glass , steel , and deal with several surveyor , and not one of them "good for me" surveyor ..
you get a list of surveyor YOU the buyer pick the one .. and it should be always independent as it should be !!
and yes you always should do your own survey .. even so sometimes we can offer a recent survey (surveyor charge for it of course) , or the seller depend..
if the findings extensive and match your concerns it is your call , but a rule should be get a survey your own..
Old 11-25-2008

catamount is on a distinguished road
FWIW, sometimes sellers and/or their brokers will commisison a survey (of some kind) prior to listing the boat for sale so that they know just what it is that they are selling!

, a new voice for ocean conservation
Old 11-25-2008
Colorado Sailor

MtnMike is on a distinguished road
In my boat shopping experience over the last year, I've been offered several surveys to look over. They were always offered as a starting point to see any potential problems or benefits to the vessels I'm looking at. They were never offered as a document to use for purchasing the boat. Perhaps I'm just lucky, but the Brokers I've delt with just assumed that I'd be getting my own surveyor when it got to that point in the sell.
Old 11-26-2008

campbdon is on a distinguished road
Hi again, and thanks for all the helpful advice! My main point is to avoid the prospect of spending many hundreds of dollars having boats surveyed that looked good to me (the buyer), only to find them full of hidden surprises. Sorry to drift off topic, but I was reading the postings about getting a moisture meter as one way to screen out one hidden surprise- namely water issues, avoiding unnecessary surveys, so maybe a pinless one (don't want to be poking needles into them!) is a worthy investment of a couple of hundred $ ?? Or are water issues in the core a common concern?
...don
Old 11-26-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Campbdon-

That's kind of why I wrote the Boat Inspection Trip Tips post. If you haven't read it... you need to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbdon View Post
Hi again, and thanks for all the helpful advice! My main point is to avoid the prospect of spending many hundreds of dollars having boats surveyed that looked good to me (the buyer), only to find them full of hidden surprises. Sorry to drift off topic, but I was reading the postings about getting a moisture meter as one way to screen out one hidden surprise- namely water issues, avoiding unnecessary surveys, so maybe a pinless one (don't want to be poking needles into them!) is a worthy investment of a couple of hundred $ ?? Or are water issues in the core a common concern?
...don

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-26-2008

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
When I had my last boat for sale one of the most common questions was "Do you have a survey?"

As a survey is required every five years in our area by insurance company and is one of the first things you have to do after buying a boat most boats typically have a survey 5 years old or less.

Since these are not for selling purposes but for valuation purposes they are for the new owner's benefit. It usually states condition of hull, rigging and age of equipment and sails, instrumentation and if it is working. teh ones I had done were pretty basic but do list age and condition of sails, instruments and deck moisture information (listed moisture around chainplates and cockpit floor).

When I decided to sell my last boat I scanned the old survey (was dated after all) and provided a link. If noting else it listed deficiencies I was informed of at time of purchase which could be compared against the work that was performed over the time of ownership.

A good starting place before taking the trip to look at the boat I guess.

Mike