Catalina C38 downwind question - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 11-27-2008 Thread Starter
Senior Moment

Catalina C38 downwind question

I find the lines of the S&S designed Catalina 38 to be pleasing to my eye. I mentioned this to a boat broker the other day and he shook his head and said you don't want one of these boats. Went on to say they were not good sailing dead downwind due to the pinched stern, said they rolled ALOT.

I don't pretend to know much about boat design, so I was wondering can anyone tell me if what he said is true and if so why?

Thank you
michael
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-27-2008
Wish I never found SN!

As far as I can tell, the hulls shape near mid ships ( ), I think it is called "tumble home", it is such that when the hull leans to port the boat wants to go to starboard and the reverse happens as the boat tries to get back on course. When hand steering you can anticipate this, but a wind vane or auto pilot tends to adjust to the course change and each time the opposite happens.

Simon
Ericson 39B.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitsundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
post #3 of 6 Old 11-27-2008

Catalina 38

I've owned a S&S Catalina 38 for 12 years now and find it to be a fantastic boat to sail. It will run (sail?) circles around most boats and especially other Catalinas. Designed by Sparkman & Stephens for one design racing (to the old IOR rule I think, hence the tumble home). The molds were eventually bought by Frank Butler and after adding a Catalina deck design and taller rig became the Catalina 38. It replaced the Cal 40 as the official Congressional Cup boat and was raced by Ted Turner. It is by far an "up-wind" boat, but holds it own downwind. As far as dead-downwind, the pinched stern doesn't have much to do with it. SimonV is on the right track. When a boat leans(heals) the hull shape becomes asymmetrical and wants to head up. All boats do this as they heal, some more than others. Sailing perfectly downwind isn't easy. Most of the time the wind is at some point either side of dead-down wind. It is hard on the auto-pilot but why try to sail dead-down wind? Its slow. Head off 10-15 degrees - sail faster, smoother, safer, funner and get there sooner.
post #4 of 6 Old 11-28-2008
Just another Moderator

Yeah, the C-38, like many of her era that were IOR influenced do behave a bit squirrely when sailed DDW in a breeze. Whether it's strictly due to hull form or sailplan is often debated, but generally these boats have tall, high aspect "skinny" mainsails and very long J measurements which makes for huge genoas and kites. I believe much of the rolling action DDW is a combination of the deep, fine bow sections and the essentially unbalanced sailplan with the large kite out to one side, supposedly offset by the sliver of a mainsail.

Back in the day the racers set "bloopers" outside the main to balance the sail plan better (and add more area at the same time) Talking to those who used to do that, it did help alleviate the rolling, though obviously it complicated things tremendously when it came time to gybe.

As Eagledancer suggested, any of these boats can be managed by careful selection of sails, choosing when to fly the kite, and sailing conservative angles to minimize the risk of losing control in a breeze.

If you like the boat, don't let that aspect scare you away. But do look for the proper sized gear (winches, especially) in order to be able to handle the loads without a crew of deck apes.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #5 of 6 Old 11-29-2008

How many sailors really do that much dead-down-wind sailing anyway?
post #6 of 6 Old 11-29-2008
Just another Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfinger View Post
How many sailors really do that much dead-down-wind sailing anyway?
Good point... we rarely do so unless it's very flat and really windy - a relatively rare combination!

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.