Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2008

gigamanx is on a distinguished road
Beginner with Silly Questions

Well, since this is my first post, I think I get 1 silly question, right?

I'm looking to buy a smaller sailboat (28') and all I know about boats and sailing is what I've been able to grab from youtube videos, forums, and books. Good luck to me right?

Ok, so one questions I can't seem to get answered is this. If I bought said boat, where do I put it? Can I anchor it in the bay, do I have to pay for a mooring or just stop and tie a rope to an empty post? Do I need a slip or a dock?

My location is West Palm Beach, FL. Peanut Island has sailboats sitting out in the water, I just don't know if they are technically anchored or moored AND if they are moored, do they pay? Or is there a free place to store my new purchase in the water?

Hope I'm making sense! Very nervous and excited at the same time.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-02-2008

tommays will become famous soon enough
Yes you will have to pay to keep it someplace and that and insurance should be the first thing you look into BEFORE BUYING as you may be a bit supprised about the cost

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-02-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
More local members will be able to give you specific information, but in general the boats you see "out in the bay" may be anchored or may be on moorings, the moorings may be private or may be rented.

As I understand it Florida has some sticky harbour rules here and there on anchoring and mooring, so there may well be restrictions. Even in our neck of the woods anchoring is restricted inside certain harbours.

The other option, generally more expensive and often hard to find is moorage in a marina. This option provides better protection, easier access and access to electricity and fresh water when you need it. At under 30' your odds of finding reasonable moorage is better than over 30 feet.

28 feet is a nice size for a starter - good luck.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-02-2008

kredit is on a distinguished road
I found and paid for a slip before I bought my first boat. In fact the slip was more important than any ole starter boat which are plentiful.
Old 12-02-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
It's not a silly question, often storing a boat can cost more than the boat.

Each locality has rules that pertain to that locality. Federal law on anchoring and mooring basically says you can anchor anywhere you do not restrict navigation. Localities, particularly in florida, have been adding in more and more restrictions on that (limiting number of days, locations etc..)
Here is a link to start you off on your search:

BoatUS.com - Tom Neale's Cruising For You

here's the nice part of that (from Florida House Bill No. 7175, Statute 327.60 (2)
"However, local governmental authorities are prohibited from regulating the anchoring outside of such mooring fields of non-live-aboard vessels in navigation.”

Unfortunately, the only way to be sure is to ask your local water cops what the rules are, start with what ever florida calls the department of natural resources (folks with jurisdiction on the water).

Simply put, no you can't just tie off to a post someone, that post belongs to someone. If you just someone elses mooring ball they can charge you for it, and most do.
Old 12-02-2008

kai34 is on a distinguished road
you also might want to check craigslist in your area for a cheap mooring rental.
-kai
Old 12-02-2008

Yes, mooring field. That sounds like what I see out in the water. There are a number of boats off singer island, lake worth, and over by peanut island. It always seems like the same ones are there all the time so I am assuming they are paying someone for the priviledge. The next most difficult task is where do I find the places that sell/rent the moorings? I tried online with little luck.

For the person who rented a slip...how did you go about finding one that wasn't more than your apartment rent?

Last edited by gigamanx; 12-02-2008 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-02-2008

Thanks so much for the helping hand Paul. Unfortunately, this system won't let me send PMs or emails until I have reached the 10 post milestone. Feel free to drop me a line

Last edited by gigamanx; 12-02-2008 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-02-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Of course, you could also look at trailerable boats, which could be stored in your driveway. 28' is starting to get to the top end limit of what is a reasonable boat to trailer though.

However, then you need to figure out where to launch and retrieve the boat. Having a boat in a slip or on a mooring makes it much easier to get away for a short afternoon sail, than would trailering—so you'd probably use the boat more if it is in a slip or on a mooring.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-02-2008
San Juan 26

LittleMissMagic is on a distinguished road
You may want to find a local yacht club and start volunteering for regatta crew. Not only will you learn a lot about boat ownership but if you're good at making friends you might just get lucky and find someone who has dock space attached to their property that might be available for cheap.