What is the BEST Blue Water Sailing Boat out there (around 42') - Page 9 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2010

Nacra52 is on a distinguished road
I was tempted to vote for the Swan but the only thing in the 42' range they make is the day sailer. Having done some passages on a Hinkley 42 (Miami-Bahamas) and a Hans Christian 41 (NY-Bermuda) I would have to say that the HC inspired a lot more confidence. So my vote would go towards other boats of that sort - Pacific Seacraft, Valiant, etc. The HC 41 is really a 38 or so, the bow-sprit is included in the LOA.

I question whether a 42' boat is really an ideal size for blue water sailing, at least shorthanded. Everything on it is larger and requires more force. I'm a large fellow, even so I was working hard to winch, etc. Now of course the Hinkley had all sorts of electric furling devices, but these are not compatible with my view of what you want for blue water. So with a crew of four, sure.

The Halberg-Rassey 43 above looks great. One thing I didn't like about the HC was getting his by large waves and the cockpit filling to the brim with water. This was in a terrible storm, to be sure, but that is the time you'd most like to stay at least a bit secure in your cockpit.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Welcome to the forum.

I agree with you about the size of the boat in what concerns a solo sailor . I would chose the new X - 38 cruising line, not the 42 as my ideal boat, but the thread asked for a 42ft boat and it was not said that it was a boat for a solo sailor.

In what regards the force you make at the winch, it depends on the size of the sails and on the size of the winches. If you go with a much heavier boat, like an Hans Christian, for the same size, the boat will need much bigger sails to sail decently, so you would need to make a lot more force than in a lighter boat. Regarding the winches, the ones from the X 38 are much bigger than the ones of a benetau 40

Sailors rarely take into consideration the size of the winches in relation to the sail area, but that's an important consideration when choosing a boat.

Regards

Paulo
Old 10-24-2010

Nacra52 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Welcome to the forum.

I agree with you about the size of the boat in what concerns a solo sailor . I would chose the new X - 38 cruising line, not the 42 as my ideal boat, but the thread asked for a 42ft boat and it was not said that it was a boat for a solo sailor....

Regards

Paulo
Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for the pointer to the X-38. That's quite a beauty, I had not seen it, nor any of the X cruising line previously.

One of the reasons I signed up here was to learn more about modern boats. It strikes me that there are probably a few really nice boats for cruising that are outside the old standby's that I have no knowledge of. Clearly this X is one.

Whatever I buy next will be for singlehanding, so I viewed the question from that perspective, but I know others prefer to sail with larger crews.