SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

What is the BEST Blue Water Sailing Boat out there (around 42')

56K views 82 replies 47 participants last post by  Nacra52 
#1 ·
What is the BEST Blue Water Sailing Boat out there (around 42')
Just want to get a few ideas!

#37 ·
As long as we are in the price is no object category, I am quite partial to the Morris 45. But if price were an object, the older Peterson 44's would be extremely high on my list. Then again, personally, I would be tempted to find a Farr 46 (design #92) or even a Farr 44 (design number 89).

#55 ·
See post #22. And they do sail as nice as they look, but, relative to LOA, are small inside with short waterline. That said, we love ours. There are always a few available used, usually well cared for.

Also, the Morris 42 is sweet, as is the Mark Ellis/Bruckman 42.

Bruckmann 42 Cruising Sloop

I've been on a Malo that the owners had sailed across the pond, it was a lovely boat and the owners were very happy with her.

#49 ·
Giu,
While bluewater sailing involves much more than just the boat (ie ability of the crew), there are boats that are definitely more up to the task than others. What boats do you consider true bluewater boats that aren't an "old shoe?" I can think of only a few. Swan, Najad, and Oyster come to mind. Anything else? Personally I am, and always will be, a fan of the old shoe. But, I am still curious as to what other options are out there.

#50 · (Edited)
Blue..

ahhh I am just teasing the guys...really..don't worry..just joking around.

But you have MUCH BETTER and really nice boats out there, that can really take a pounding (as your old shoe does), and still out sail and outperform any old shoe...

Boats like the Hallberg Rassy, the Sweden Yachts, the Malo, Camper & Nicholson, The Amel Maramu (sorry yukk ugly), the OLD Wauquiez centurion, the Moody, certain Van De stadt, the pre- 2000 Gib'Sea, etc...

personally, and mostly because of what and where I sailed all my life, the aesthetics of boats like the Valiant, the Gozzards, Cabo Ricos etc. never appealed to me, but as they say, to each his own..

It's just that some have this preconcieved idea, that to go Blue water, you really need an old shoe ..and that is (in my opinion)as far from the truth as I don't know what..but..it's a common idea here among many...

There are so much better boats out there for that than the Old shoe, you couldn't imagine..boats that can really make a passage much faster and better...boats made to sail, yet HD and strurdy..just with better sailing abilities.

But this being an American site, mostly populated by US friends...I understant the tendency and passion for those

But off course, I respect their choices and preferences...altough some don't respect mine...but that's another story

#51 ·
All very nice boats, and i would assume they do sail better than many of the more common blue water choices. But functional or not, the Gozzard front ends are just sooo pretty. I have a seceret aspiration to be a pirate though (complete with parrot and bottle of rum), so take that for what its worth!

#58 ·
re

The best bluewater boat would be the one that gets you home.
If I had to pick one, maybe the amel 41,hans 33, oceanic 46, peterson 44,spencer 44 ( from canada),person 424, j-boat 44, bristol 40,king legend 41,hans 38, skorpian 2, lrc 38, valant, corbin, halberg,van de stat, santa cruz 50, sundeer and the beat gos on. The point is the best boat is the one that fits your budget and has plenty of room for stuff. It also helps to have an extry stateroom.

#63 ·
Personally I can't go past a Swan.
Their so damn pretty and would happily take me anywhere I need to go, and when I got there I could then put the thing into a regatta and have a lot of fun.

What are people's thoughts here on the big Dashew designed things the Deerfoot etc?? Obviously a couple of models are well and truly upwards from 42ft, but just curious.

#64 ·
Swan's are cool. Lovely things. As long as you don't mind nearly 8' draft on the shoal draft version of the Swan 45 (over nine feet non shoal) and have a serious in with your bank manager.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.