Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2008

sab30 is on a distinguished road
San Diego Boat Show Jan 8-11th

We are going to the show next month. Just curious for those that have been to this in the past..is it like every other boat show or does it rank higher or lower than the others?

Never been to a major boat show, but it sure is a good excuse to leave the snow in Canada and shop for boats somewhere warm....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sab30
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2008

thesnort is on a distinguished road
I can't remember if I skipped a year in between my two visits or if I hit the event in consecutive years. At any rate, I enjoyed it 2 or 3 years ago, but last year's review gets a solid "meh". I hope they do a better job this year. I may go, but I most likely won't.
Old 12-17-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesnort View Post
I can't remember if I skipped a year in between my two visits or if I hit the event in consecutive years. At any rate, I enjoyed it 2 or 3 years ago, but last year's review gets a solid "meh". I hope they do a better job this year. I may go, but I most likely won't.

What lowered your opinion of last year compared to previous..I will post my opinion when I get back but really have nothing to compare it to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sab30
Old 12-18-2008

I could be wrong, but there seems to be a precipitous drop in the number of sailboats being exhibited. I just took a look at the current list of exhibitors and there are a lot missing that used to show. Maybe the list is leaving off a number of builders because they haven't updated their website, but the pickings seem pretty slim for a major boat show: Exhibitors List
Old 12-18-2008

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
I'm going to pass unless someone forces me, just wasn't that impressed last year, I agree with snort, sailing displays seem to have gone down lately and so has the on-the-water sailing displays, they resemble more of a brokers display for PO boats and most of them are power

On the 8th day God created sailors and evil stood at attention
Old 01-09-2009

Sab,
What are your thoughts on the SD Boat Show this year?
Has anyone else gone yet?
Just wondering what I'm missing and if I should be missing it.
Thanks in advance!
Old 01-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesnort View Post
Sab,
What are your thoughts on the SD Boat Show this year?
Has anyone else gone yet?
Just wondering what I'm missing and if I should be missing it.
Thanks in advance!

Hey Snort,

In SD (Shelter Island) Went to the indoor portion on Thursday night and was pretty much what I expected. There were some good booths and had lots of questions answered from a wide range of representation.(ie marinas to watermakers, to emergency equipment to electrical systems etc etc...

Went to the in water today and although power boat dominant there was a very strong presence from IP (5 boats), Catalina, Beneteau, Hunter, Jeaneau with a few stragglers from J Boats, Tartan (ie 3700) Hanse. It was interesting to be able to show the wife direct differences in the boats and the reason for them, having IP there was great....I gotta say their new models (IP465 and IP485) are pretty amazing..my wife was impressed

My only dissapointment would be a few more companies represented with more boats specifically Tartan, Sabre, Valient..I suppose its hard to move these boats around for every show.

Overall very happy to make it and more than worth the $8 or whatevery it was..we had them gratis for both days from a couple of brokers we have spoken with. Also very good was the opportunity to be able to make contacts with people in the industry and fellow sailors.

Went to one seminar from Mark Nicholas who wrote "Essentials of living aboard a boat" I read the boat which was a good overview and the seminar was about the same with some good stories thrown in.

San Diego is a great town....glad we came..viewing some brokerage boats on Monday then back to the "frozen tundra"

Hope that helps...

Regards,

Shane

Sab30
Old 01-10-2009

Yeah, Island Packet sailboats have some pretty impressive interiors. When I win the lottery I may buy myself one.
If you're into multihulls, try to get a ride on a Seawind. Their rep is at the show and I'm pretty sure they'll have one to demo.Seawind Catamarans
The boat show held in Oakland, CA is all sail. I've never been, but plan on going to the next one.
Glad you're enjoying San Diego!
Old 01-11-2009
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
My wife and I went to the show on Friday, and while the show was a little smaller than usual it was still nice. We talked to one person manning a booth in the exhibit hall, and he said that he's been coming to the show since its beginning, and he thought Friday was the slowest day for a Friday that he could remember. He also said the the shows have been getting a little smaller inside the exhibit hall each year. There was a smaller but nice display of sailboats outside this year.
Old 01-12-2009

LittleWingCA is on a distinguished road
My wife and I went to the show on Saturday. The inside exhibits were a lot smaller this year than any time in the last 5 years that I have been going. But key players were there for engines, sails, rigging, water makers, heads, woodworking, electronics, etc. There were even a few small sailboats inside in the 14' or less range that were new this year, and sea kyacks with & without sails had a very large showing. The in water display size was smaller as well, but Nordhavn's 56' Motorsailer was there and that was quite impressive. At $1,600,000 base price, $2,200,000 fully ready to go, and a 2 year wait for one, I won't be getting one any time soon, but it was impressive to see. IP's motorsailer was there as well. Tarten and C&C were there with a lot of traffic even given all the press that has been going on with them. The show was enjoyable, but definately smaller than in past years. I am still trying to find a sail cover / seat cuchion guy in San Diego. Still no luck.

LittleWingCA
1980 Pacific Seacraft Orion 27
Sailing Grounds: Southern California

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.