Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2002

Burnsy is on a distinguished road
Dehler DB-1

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone had any info about this style of boat? Impressions, opinions, comparison to more common boats, info, etc? I am looking at a 1982 version, with the intended purpose of being mostly for Great Lakes racing and maybe occasional cruising with another couple. It would be a first boat, and given that its German built and the age there is not much info I can find for it. How might it compare to say an Evelyn 32, J30? One other boat I''ve sailed on near its size is a 96 Catalina 30 shoal draft, tall rig. Despite my limited experience sailing & racing boats, that one struck me as too slow, heavy for my tastes, accelerated poorly out of tacks, etc. I am looking for something to learn on & that has a little more run & gun to it. My other comparison is a 55'' custom built 70''s era dedicated racer, which is more in line with what I prefer.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2002
JeffH

Dehler DB-1

The DB series of Dehlers were intended as serious IOR era 3/4 tonner race boats. I am not all that familiar with the DB-1 but am far more familiar with the DB-2. In a general sense these were grand prix level IOR racing boats. For IOR boats they were reasonably well rounded and well-mannered.

Dehler generally did a better building these many of the ''disposable'' racers of the era and these boats had some nice egonomic details such a the layout of the winch islands and the line organizers at the aft end of the cabins. The DB-2 were nicely engineered but like many grand prix level race boats of that era they are a little fragile.

In absolute terms these are pretty fast boats but not as fast as J-33 or Farr 1020''s of that era both of which were designed to be fast without any of the speed robbing concessions to the IOR rule. Boats like these can be a lot of fun to sail but they really require quite a bit of skill to keep up to speed sufficiently to sail to thier ratings. Other boats of that same genre that you might look for are X-3/4 ton and the Farr 33''s.

Of course the interiors of these boats are quite spartan and really are not very adaptable to other uses besides racing.

Jeff

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook