Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2008

catfish26 is on a distinguished road
I need your help to read my future

Okay, I'm back after my near fiasco with the Skipper 20 and I'm trying to decide between a 1978 Cape Dory Typhoon (needs trailer, motor mount and outboard) versus a 2005 Capri 18 (needs nothing). I have read reviews for each type of vessel and they are good. The boss favors the 2005 for its youth. Im drawn to the beauty of the Typhoon. The extra hassle associated with setting up the Typhoon makes the money about even.

We will be daysailing in Galveston Bay and perhaps overnighting once a decade. We have a pre-teen daughter who seems to like sailing...

Is the boss right (she has a damn irritating habit of being so) or is the 30 year-old beauty going to be just fine (looks good in the pictures going to see her immediately after Xmas)? Will visit the Capri early in the new-year.

Once again I seek your wisdom...
Thanks, Glen
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-22-2008

lbdavis is on a distinguished road
The Typhoon is a BEAUTIFUL vessel. One that anyone (save Giu ) would be proud to own and sail.

I would suggest you be very honest with yourself and ask yourself, "Self, do I really have the time to fix up the Typhoon, or would I rather spend that time sailing with the boss?"
Old 12-22-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Glen,

In a perfect world you'd get both so you could enjoy sailing now while fixing up the Typhoon for down the road. But we live in an imperfect world.

I love the Typhoon too.

But in your shoes, I'd get the Capri. The boss is always right. Plus, kids grow up fast, so now's the time to sail with your daughter.

Meanwhile, keep the Typhoon dream alive in the back of your mind. Study them, watch the market and offerings. Someday, the time will be ripe.

All the best with your decision.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 12-23-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Get them both...sail the Capri and work on the Typhoon for the sheer joy of a finely drawn boat...a true classic but the Capri is a better choice for what you actually want to do.
Old 12-23-2008

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Listen to the boss and the two of you will enjoy the sailing, Don't, and neither of you will

Freedom comes when you’re ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you don’t have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 12-23-2008
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
If you want to trailer, the Capri.
Old 12-23-2008

BlueWaterMD is on a distinguished road
The typhoon is one of my all time favorite boats. It is so beautiful. The capri on the other hand will probably sail better (at least for your needs), has a better cabin, and is ready to go. For the family, the capri is the better choice. Either way, they are both fine boats, and will bring you a lot of good times.
Old 12-23-2008

mstern is on a distinguished road
If trailering is in your plans, cross the Typhoon off the list. It is a beast to trailer and launch compared to the Capri. Also, some of the things that make the Typhoon among the most compellingingly beautiful boats ever built also make it a maintenance hog. That teak toe rail? Unless its been recently replaced, it is rotten somewhere and it leaks. Those salty round portholes? They leak. The mahogany gunwhales? I hope you love to varnish.

I bought my boat when my kids were toddlers, and I purposefully (albeit sadly) passed on the Typhoon and other similar designs because I knew my time would be tight (btw, it doesn't get any easier as they get older until they become teenagers and want nothing to do with you). And although I catch my breath every time a Pearson Triton or a Typhoon ambles by, I now know that the most beautiful boat is the one that gets used.

Best of luck, Merry Xmas and Happy New Year, Mr. New Boat Owner.
Old 12-23-2008
Anything-Sailing Founder

ckgreenman will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
Go with the Capri if for no other reason than making the wife happy. I'm finding this to be excruciatingly true. If the Wife isn't happy, you won't be either, guaranteed.

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Meet me at

Ignore Power = Currently Rebuilding
--
Old 12-24-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you're going to be trailering... go with the Capri. If you could keep the boat on a mooring or slip... go with the Typhoon.

BTW, once you start sailing... overnighting comes pretty easily... it starts off with the boss saying something like: Oooh, this is pretty place, and I don't want to sail at night, and it's getting pretty late...... and then you're doing that every nice weekend.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.