Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
First boat blues - need help!!!

The Ericson 35''s were a good boat in their day. I spent several seasons racing on one back in the late 1970''s and early 1980''s. They pushed the envelope for their day in terms of light weight construction and low wetted surface. By the late 1970''s they were a hard boat to race competitively.

Older boats are always a hard call. On one hand they typically offer a lot of boat for the money in terms of length. The upfront cost is often quite low. In a general sense, maintenance and upgrades are generally more than for a new boat but if you find a well maintained and upgraded older boat that is not always true either. Older boats have generally depreciated as far as they are going to go so that if you maintain the boat in the condition that youy bought her then you should be able to sell her for around the same price you paid for her. On the other hand the resale price is always going to be limited so that if you get into a major refit it is very easy to end up spending far more than the boat will ever be worth.

As I have noted here before with any boat this age you can expect to find some ''issues''. Unless very well maintained and updated by a previous owner, you might expect to need to address some combination of the following items:

∑ Sails, chainplates, mast step and associated suporting structure, standing and running rigging that are beyond their useful lifespan,
∑ an engine that is in need of rebuild or replacement,
∑ worn out or out of date deck, galley, and head hardware,
∑ worn out upholstery,
∑ Out of date safety gear
∑ electronics that are non operational, or in need of updating,
∑ electrical and plumbing systems that need repairs, upgrades to modern standards or replacement.
∑ Blister, fatigue, rudder, hull deck joint or deck coring problems
∑ Keel bolt replacement (bolt on keel) or delamination of the hull from the ballast for a glassed in keel.
∑ And perhaps a whole range of aesthetic issues.

If these issues are not present on the boat in question, and there is a fair asking price, (somewhere in the mid to low $20K or less range) then this should be a very nice boat for the Bay.

Good Luck,
Jeff

BTW: Rookie00, Are you Tim?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-15-2002

rookie00 is on a distinguished road

Jack/Jeff,

Thank you both, again, for you comments. They have helped a great deal.

Your advance is great. I think I have narrowed my list down considerably. I am considering the Ericson, even with it''s age. I have spoken to two brokers, both of whom do not ''own'' the listing and they both say this is a good boat. It has a recent Yamar Diesel (approx 300 hrs) and has been very wel maintained. Though I do not know about the issues you have raised. I will request the last survey if it is not too out of date. I am also considering a Mariner, though it is a smaller boat (28'') it is also well maintained and has a recent survey and all major items have been addressed. It cost less and was built in 1981. A broker also mentioned a 33'' Tartan that may be worth looking at, he is going to find out for me.

Do either of you know what the price range is for slips on the Bay near or South of Annapolis with good access to the bay. I live in N. Va. All I need is a good slip with being too sexy.

thank you for your feedback.

Rookie (David)
Old 09-15-2002

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road

R:

I''m now in Florida, so I''m distant from current slip rates on the Bay. But the cruising is wonderful further south and, were I in N. VA, I''d look closely at basing away from Annapolis to avoid the conjestion and cost. When we did a Bay cruise in 2000, we were surprised and impressed with the cruising opportunities on the Pax River alone, even after having lived in and sailed out of Annapolis for 8 years; goes to show what we knew! Commuting to a boat is a drag but it sure does make you become diligent about where the tools, spares and all the little notes and ''to do'' lists are kept!

Jack
Old 09-16-2002
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough

David,

As you might expect, the closer to Annapolis the more expensive the slip. Here is an idea of prices for a 30 foot slip based on what I''ve heard from others. Annapolis proper probably about $3-4K per year. North of south of there, price will be $2-3K per year. Where I keep my boat (Rock Creek on the south shore of the Patapsco), the price is about $1200-1500 a year. There are always small, mom and pop marinas that will be cheaper. There also are a lot of private slips at houses that will be cheaper. This will give you an idea at least.
Old 09-16-2002

windship has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Rookie,
With your budget in mind, you might look into an Endeavour 32.They have almost an identical underbody as the Pearson 323 but sail better and are faster.They are more comfortable and are built better and you can buy them for twenty to thirty k.in good shape.
I''ve owned mine for nine years and I''m happy.

Dennis
Old 09-16-2002

The slip fees in Annapolis are bit more than I want to pay for a slip. I need a slip that provides good access to the bay with minimal frills. You mentioned mom & pop marinas and private slips. Do you know how to find the smaller marinas and private slips? I have found some of the bigger marinas on the web, but most of them seem to be in the higher price bracket. I don''t know if the smaller marinas have websites. If you have any additional information, I''d appreciate it.

Rookie
Old 09-16-2002

Thanks for the advice. I am looking at an Ericson and a Mariner right now. I will start looking into the Endeavors.

Thanks
Old 09-16-2002

Poinciana is on a distinguished road

Rookie, I have a Sabre 28 for sale in your budget located in the upper bay. She is an excellent boat in good shape. If you are interested in knowing more please contact me.

jmusike@aol.com
Old 09-16-2002

928frenzy is on a distinguished road

Dear Rookie:
I spent several man-hours comparing slip prices and ammenities around the mid Chesapeake area. The range in prices was pretty large, and the closer to Annapolis the higher the fees.

We wound up finding Holiday Point marina, which is fairly decent and among the least costly. It is a full service yard, but there''s no pool or tennis courts, or grocery store on site. The restrooms are clean and there''s a shower in each one. The marina caters to power boats and sail boats that draw less than 5'' and less than 14'' in beam.

BTW, it''s in selby Bay, which is only a 10 minute motoring to the South River, and about five more minutes to the Bay. If you call them, tell them I sent you.

~ Happy sails to you ~ _/) ~
Old 09-16-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Rookie00, Endeavor 32''s are not too bad in areas ith consistently moderate winds but are not really suited to the Chesapeake''s prevailing light winds punctuated by higher windspeeds.

Frankly, if you were going to go the Endeavour 32 route I would try to find an Irwin 32 centerboarder. The Endeavour 32 used the molds from the 1960''s era Iwrin 32. The Endeavour used the same hull and keel but the Irwins had a centerboard giving them much better upwind performance and the Irwins were generally better constructed than Endeavour version.

Jeff

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.