Tips on checking over and identifying a MacGregor 26? - Page 7 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2008

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Murphy's law #27 of Resuscitating Old Abandoned Boats- Any part you buy that you think is missing, will suddenly appear shortly after receiving it's replacement.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-28-2008

DanKap is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Murphy's law #27 of Resuscitating Old Abandoned Boats- Any part you buy that you think is missing, will suddenly appear shortly after receiving it's replacement.
Another sensible rule. Tomorrow after work I'll have to climb in there with some serious lights (or perhaps just get up early and do it before work) and inspect every inch for any missing parts. The interior is a total mess, as my pics show, so it's quite possible a few of the missing goodies are in there.
Old 12-29-2008

Jock-san is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKap View Post
...I believe those spreaders would attach to the brackets shown in this photo? Can these be line, or will I have to have them made from cable?

Below is a picture showing the spreaders attached to the mast. Also, there are brackets there that seem like they could be attachment points for more stays. Any ideas?
If the top picture is one of the chainplates, you may well find that you need the cap shrouds running masthead-spreader tip-chainplate; another set of intermediate shrouds running from the spreader bases to the other hole in the chainplates; and the lowers that you already have.

The big rigging suppliers sell a complete standing rigging wire set for many popular boats. You may want to compare the price for the whole set against the price for only the parts you need.

[Edit] Oh yeah. Shrouds go to the sides. Stays are for fore-and-aft support.
Old 12-29-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
good point...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock-san View Post
If the top picture is one of the chainplates, you may well find that you need the cap shrouds running masthead-spreader tip-chainplate; another set of intermediate shrouds running from the spreader bases to the other hole in the chainplates; and the lowers that you already have.

The big rigging suppliers sell a complete standing rigging wire set for many popular boats. You may want to compare the price for the whole set against the price for only the parts you need.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-29-2008

Quote:

It appears you're right. After reading this post I searched the web some more, and found 2 sets of stays coming from the midship chainplate in a few of them. The angles of the stays suggest one could be going spreader bases, while the other would be going through the spreaders to the masthead. Here's are a few pics that are examples (I'm only linking the first because it's wide enough I'm afraid it will distort the page width):
http://www.elgaleonpirata.com.ar/ima...484c989ae6.jpg

Something that strikes me as odd about all these pics is that the headstay on all these boats is a plain cable. What I was considering my headstay seemed to be intended to serve as a sort of mast for the jib as well. Unfortunately I am at work right now and none of the pictures I took display this. It was a cable that ran just like I'd expect a forestay to run, but had a sheathing over it that it seemed the base of the jib sale would run through, if that makes any sense. It also seemed to serve as a forestay quite well when my friend and I put the mast up in the yard, it had good tension and support to keep the mast from coming aft, just as the backstay had good tension to keep the mast from coming to the bow. Our only lack of stability seemed to be side to side, which was no doubt because we were connecting the lower shrouds wrong, and were missing the mid and upper shrounds altogether.

So, it's off to start getting an idea what rigging is going to cost me. Any suggested places besides riggingonly to start?

Thanks again! Slowly but surely we (well, I, with and due to your help) seem to be getting there.
Old 12-29-2008

Quote:
The mainsheet goes from the lower mainsheet block, through the mainsheet block at or near the end of the boom, and back to the lower mainsheet block, where you cleat it with the jaw cleat mounted on that block. The mainsheet doesn't go anywhere near the winches at each side of the cockpit.
Rereading this and lookin at this picture, I think I understand this now too. Awesome.

So I would assume the line needs to be a specific diameter to go through the blocks smoothly, right? Is this something where I just bring a block with me to the marine store, or do I find an online rigging store that will know what size line this is going to want and just sell me a whole lot of it?
Old 12-29-2008

N0NJY is on a distinguished road
Hey guys... HIN! Not HID, tooooooooooo many years of military acronyms for me (I fell into that quite naturally you know... Hull ID number - so I should have been saying HIDN) lol

moˈloːn laˈbe!

It's better to be hated for who you are, than to be loved for who you're not.

Let those winds of change blow over my head,
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead - Jimmy Buffet
Old 12-29-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
If there is a 'sheathing' over the fore stay it may be for a rudimentary roller furling mechanism for the fore sail or jib. If there is a spool or spindle at the bottom of the sheathing and the sheathing freely spins around the fore stay I'd say conclusively that you have a fulrling mechanism. My friend's Mac 26S has this kind of home made furler setup. The 'sheathing' is generally referred to as an extrusion.
BTW, great price for a boat and trailer (even if a few parts may be missing like and engine - sounds like you have that one covered anyway). Your 9.9HP should be more then enough power for that boat (I hope its a 2 stroke and therefore lighter).
You are going to learn a lot about this boat by the time you get her into the water and that is great.

Everybody has one:

Old 12-30-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
If there is a 'sheathing' over the fore stay it may be for a rudimentary roller furling mechanism for the fore sail or jib. If there is a spool or spindle at the bottom of the sheathing and the sheathing freely spins around the fore stay I'd say conclusively that you have a fulrling mechanism. My friend's Mac 26S has this kind of home made furler setup. The 'sheathing' is generally referred to as an extrusion.
BTW, great price for a boat and trailer (even if a few parts may be missing like and engine - sounds like you have that one covered anyway). Your 9.9HP should be more then enough power for that boat (I hope its a 2 stroke and therefore lighter).
You are going to learn a lot about this boat by the time you get her into the water and that is great.
Thanks. There is a spool/spindle type thing at the bottom of the sheathing. I'm not sure if the sheathing spins around the forestay, I didn't think to check that. Sounds like a furling mechanism though.

Good to hear it sounds like I got a good deal. I thought so, which is why I bought it The 9.9 is a 2 stroke, so I should be good there.
I plan to learn a ton by spring. I went to the book store yesterday, ordered "the complete sailor", and then picked up 1/2 dozen other sailing books from the used book store on my way back to work. I know you can only learn so much from a book, but I figure the more I can learn on my own the more practical and useful knowledge I'll be able to get out of my time spent with more knowledgable sailors. I'm loving this, and really looking forward to not only the sailing but the process of bringing her back to life.
Old 12-30-2008

mtwolf is on a distinguished road
Macgregor 26?

More than likely it's a 25 if it has a swing keel. If it has a winch inside than it isn't a 26. Water ballast doesn't have a winch. Macgregor didn't come out with the 26 until 1987 as I recall.

John