Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2008

DanKap is on a distinguished road
Tips on checking over and identifying a MacGregor 26?

Hi,

I’ve been born and raised a marina rat (all power) and now want to get into sailing. I recently found a killer deal on a 1986 MacGregor 26 that’s been sitting for a few years. It was abandoned by a previous tenant, and the owner of the property wants to get a title based on it’s being abandoned and sell it to me for a song.

I’ve researched these boats some and am aware of some of the compromises, but for my use I think they’ll work just fine. I won’t be doing any serious weather or going far offshore, and the river I’ll need to navigate to get to and from port can be shallow at times. I figure this could get me started, allow me to fix her up a bit and then likely sell it and move on in a season or two.

My first questions is, how do I know what model 26 it is? Apparently there’s a 26C, 26D, 26X, 26M, etc. I do know that it has a swing keel and an outboard mount on the port side of the transom. Any suggestions on how to tell which model it is?

I’ve got an old extra long shaft Suzuki 9.9 kicking around that I figure could push it well enough to get me in and out of the no wake zone and into the bay.

The boat has sails in storage, condition unknown until I get down there to check it out. For the cost of the boat and trailer I wouldn’t mind having to have the sails repaired, and would even consider replacing them if I had to (although that may cause me to reconsider this particular boat). The seller seems to think the sails are in good condition, which would be a nice bonus.

I’ve grown up on and around boats of all ages, and have been a liveaboard on a 1976 Silverton 34’ Sedan Bridge, so I know quite a bit about woodworking, glasswork, teak, general repair, electronics, etc.

Anything in particular I should be looking for in this boat besides the usual when inspecting it? Hull integrity, sail condition, structural soundness, etc. is all a given. I’ve heard the fresh water tanks are collapsible jugs that are of poor design, but I don’t mind installing a real fresh water tank and pump. Any advise on other things to check would be greatly appreciated.

Also, what should I pay special attention to when checking the water ballast setup? Are there seals prone to leaking, or are there any other known issues I should be on the lookout for?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Dan
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-24-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Dan—

The boat should have a HIN or Hull Identification Number on the starboard side of the transom. If you write that down, and call MacGregor, they can tell you exactly what model boat it is, since the model of the boat is included in the HIN.

Which specific model boat it is will change what specific weaknesses/problem areas that it will have.

I'd recommend you read the Boat Inspection Trip Tips Thread I started. I'd also recommend you read the POST in my signature. Welcome to the Asylum...

SD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-24-2008

Sailingdog,

Thanks for the info. Your thread about inspecting a new boat was especially helpful. I had planned to pay to have the moisture content of the hull inspected, I had no idea I could get the tool to do it myself so cheap. That in and of itself was a huge help! When I go see this boat I'll be bringing a copy of your tips, as well as the usual tools (camera, tape, pen, pad, etc).

The HIN telling me the model of boat is a good idea. I was hoping that perhaps only one of those models had a swing keel, or there was some other set of distinguishing characteristics that would help me figure out which model it was. I did some searching and came up dry, perhaps there is no such list.

Lastly, I did read the post in your sig, and it's always good to be familiar with the etiquette of a forum you're new to, so thank you. That said, I have to ask, which rule of etiquette did I violate with my OP? I didn't find my answers with a search (although I didn't use google - good call there) and I did try to include as much info as I had, which unfortunately wasn't much as I have not been to see the boat yet. I'm just trying to gather as much info as I can in a short period of time since there's a decent chance I'll be heading home with this boat by the end of the weekend. At the price, if it's as-advertised it may be too good to walk away from, and it's far enough that I'd rather not spend the time and gas to drive out there twice.

Again, thank you. I welcome the progression of my addiction from power to sail
Old 12-24-2008

N0NJY is on a distinguished road
Dan;

I just went through this. I looked at several boats. One was a Mac Venture 25 (the one I ended up buying) and a Macgregor 26 (too much money for what I was looking for). The sites listed will give you some idea on how to read the HID. I give you an example of what yours ought to look like.

Nautical Know How - Boat Hull ID Numbers
Hull Numbers

MacGregor Sailing home
Hull ID

Check there for some information on the HID. I had to do that myself.

Yours ought to be something like: MAC 00123M86B

That would tell you Macgregor, hull s/n 00123 Mac 1986 made in Sep.

You'll find it on that boat on the starboard side of the transom about five inches below the line that joins the topsides to the hull.

The last letter is the month (A=Aug, B=Sep etc)

Rick

moˈloːn laˈbe!

It's better to be hated for who you are, than to be loved for who you're not.

Let those winds of change blow over my head,
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead - Jimmy Buffet
Old 12-24-2008

Oh yeah, if it were an "X" model it would be like: MAC X0123M86B

moˈloːn laˈbe!

Old 12-24-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Dan-

Glad to help... didn't violate anything AFAICT, but just did want to mention you should read it... it does have a lot of helpful information, including how to use Google to search sailnet's forums, since the forum's own search feature is less than useful a lot of the time.

Is there anyone there you can call to get the HIN number. That would allow you to do more, model-specific, research before going to see the boat. IIRC, several of them have a centerboard or swing keel, so it can be a PITA to tell the models apart. BTW, it is either a Macgregor M-26C, 26S, or 26X. Are you certain it has a water ballast system?

IIRC, the 26C and 26S are more traditional sailboats, and the 26X and 26M are powersailers—power boat/sailboat hybrids. Don't believe the 26C or 26S have water ballast, but I could be wrong. BTW, the 26 models didn't start until 1987 according to this website...so it may not be a Macgregor 26, but a Macgregor 25..

Good luck, and if you need anything else, just holler.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 12-24-2008 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-24-2008

I believe both the s and c models have water ballast from what I have read (Haven't seen one in person though).

I think all their boats under 30' (what did they make over 30, but a 60 and 75, right?) are pretty much all water-ballasted.

I did a lot of research on this kind of boat and decided against one myself. (Mine is a 79 Venture with a drop-keep using a crank and cable system)

moˈloːn laˈbe!

Old 12-24-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0NJY View Post
Dan;

I just went through this. I looked at several boats. One was a Mac Venture 25 (the one I ended up buying) and a Macgregor 26 (too much money for what I was looking for). The sites listed will give you some idea on how to read the HID. I give you an example of what yours ought to look like.

Check there for some information on the HID. I had to do that myself.

Yours ought to be something like: MAC 00123M86B

That would tell you Macgregor, hull s/n 00123 Mac 1986 made in Sep.

You'll find it on that boat on the starboard side of the transom about five inches below the line that joins the topsides to the hull.

The last letter is the month (A=Aug, B=Sep etc)

Rick
Thanks for the reply - helpful links for sure! I'll give the seller a call and see if I can get him to get the HID for me. Is the # on the inside of the transom?

Thanks,

Dan
Old 12-24-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Dan-

Glad to help... didn't violate anything AFAICT, but just did want to mention you should read it... it does have a lot of helpful information, including how to use Google to search sailnet's forums, since the forum's own search feature is less than useful a lot of the time.

Is there anyone there you can call to get the HIN number. That would allow you to do more, model-specific, research before going to see the boat. IIRC, most of them have a centerboard, so it can be a PITA to tell the models apart. BTW, it is either a Macgregor M-26C, 26S, or 26X. Are you certain it has a water ballast system? IIRC, the 26C and 26S are more traditional sailboats, and the 26X and 26M are powersailers—power boat/sailboat hybrids. Don't believe the 26C or 26S have water ballast, but I could be wrong.

Good luck, and if you need anything else, just holler.
Thanks, and good to know I didn't violate anything on my first post! I'm going to try to call and get a HID from the seller.

I'm not positive it has a water ballast system. I just ASSumed it did because the pics I saw didn't appear to have a traditional keel, and my research showed that the MacGregors used the water ballast system. The boat was actually abandoned by a previous tenant of the seller 4 years ago, so the seller knows little about the boat. Again, thanks for all the help here!
Old 12-24-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKap View Post
Thanks for the reply - helpful links for sure! I'll give the seller a call and see if I can get him to get the HID for me. Is the # on the inside of the transom?

Thanks,

Dan
Mine is stamped into a metal plate and riveted to the outside of the transom.

Glance at those sites, they have some pictures of where the HID ought to appear. Some boats (I think newer boats) usually have it inside the cabin, on the hull somewhere (I have NOT found that on my boat - and I think it's only on later boats after 85 or something. I don't remember offhand)

moˈloːn laˈbe!