Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2008

N0NJY is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
Yep, no doubt about it. Sure is. So whats the point?

That your a charter Captain and want people to charter from you vrs. buying? This sounds to me like an advertisement for the chartering industry and nothinhg more.
I was being polite. I was warned the other day about "verbal fist fights" - but damn it, the guy just showed up here with a "blog" he's advertising, and pointing out that people ought to buy charters rather than buy a boat because HE doesn't want to see it any more.

I'm sorry.

At least I'm honest when I get into verbal "fist fights". I'm not gonna sugar coat something and try to obfuscate - I tell it like it is and that's that.

moˈloːn laˈbe!

It's better to be hated for who you are, than to be loved for who you're not.

Let those winds of change blow over my head,
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead - Jimmy Buffet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2008

CalypsoP35 is on a distinguished road
Stupity

No [****] owning a boat is expensive! But you can manage many of the costs if you really want a boat. You can get a mooring instead of a slip, you can do your own maintenance, if you live up North and your boat has to be drydocked for the winter you can store it at your house instead of a marina yard. If you don't love boating get the hell out.

You can't protect people from themselves. Anyone who doesn't understand owning a boat is not a practical decision has reached a stupid conclusion.

Anyone who buys a boat and doesn't research the annual costs to determine if they can afford them has made a stupid decision.

Anyone who can't get out on the boat enough to justify the expense that they can afford, is either whipped or doesn't really love boating.

You don't have to be stupid to make a stupid decision, but it sure helps. As one renowned redneck would put it, "Here's your sign"

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 01-05-2009 at 03:40 PM. Reason: please, no profanity or variations to defeat filters
Old 12-30-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
What do you want to know...

The Telstar 28 is a 27' 6" folding cruising trimaran built by Performance Cruising Inc., out of Annapolis, MD. It has a draft of 5' on the newer longer centerboard models, 4' 3" on the older models like mine... a 35' 6" mast if you've got the standard mast, 18' beam or 8' 6" beam when folded, a mast-raising system like nothing you've ever seen before... 6' of standing headroom throughout most of the cabin. Goes like a bat out of hell, sails flat—even in nastier conditions...

BTW, welcome to sailnet... and I'd highly recommend you read the POST in my signature to help you get the most out of your time here. It has tips on searching sailnet, writing a good post, etc...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainFredGreenfield View Post
Hey, I want to know more about that Telstar in your sig!.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-30-2008
Banned

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
So is golf. Funny looking pants and shoes, Club dues. Green fees. Little balls with dimples. The crooked sticks that you put in a over priced bag.

If you look at it from a straight economic point of view Sailing and golf don't make good sense. But it is a Quality of life thing.

Buying groceries are not a good investment either. Think of the money spent and what you left with after "depression."
Old 12-30-2008

terryjoe is on a distinguished road
Boat Ownership

I am not sure who you are trying to convince that owning a boat is expensive. It is! I believe your figuring might somewhat skewed though.

Just like a purchase of anything with a motor in it I have always asked questions about future maintenance and costs prior to saying "I'll take it"! I tried to convince my daughters not to buy the used BMW they had their eyes set on because of the expence of parts and maintenance. They found out the hard way when it didn't pass emmisions. The parts needed to fix it cost as much as the car cost. I found used parts at a junk yard that were affordable. They saw afterwards how expensive it was to own the car.

My point is that I was aware that my boat was going to cost me more then I expected at the begining no matter how much research I did before buying it. All of people I have met have told me it was just a hole in the water that I would throw money into. However, I feel it makes it all worthwhile when I am out on the boat and see a fantastic sunset or make new friends. I don't even think of how much I have spent to make our 33 year old boat comfortable, reliable, and enjoyable. I like being able to have the boat ready to go out without having to haul everything to the boat and not have to worry about being back at a certain time because that is how long it has been rented for. If I want to stay out an extra day I can because it's mine. If you think it's too expensive that is fine. Sell you boat and rent someone else's.
Old 12-30-2008

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
I was 18 when I bought my first boat. A Laser.. Got it for under $500 and gave it away later. It was still worth $500 when I gave it away.

I'm 46 now, and on my 6th boat (a Catalina 30). I paid $26,500 for it, and will probably sell it for the same amount eventually.

I do almost all of my own maintenance and figure it costs me around $5,000 a year to keep, including slip fees, parts, and upgrades.

I cruised my boat for 4 weeks last year, and had dozens of daysails.

Pretty good deal, if you ask me.

But there really is no need for an argument here. Boat ownership can be either cheap or expensive, depending how you do it.

The reality is that boat ownership isn't expensive or inexpensive, it's PRICELESS. I can't imagine being without one.

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown

Last edited by djodenda; 12-30-2008 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12-30-2008

Quote:
If you think it's too expensive that is fine. Sell you boat and rent someone else's.
Renting someone else's was the point, methinks.... after all, times are indeed tough and owning a boat is a "hole in the water" into which you're throwing your money so you shouldn't (his point, not mine) and dreaming is obviously screwing up people's brains a lot. So they ought not do that either.

Finally, if you happen to still wanna sail - it's probably better on the charter guys' pocket book if you're giving HIM that money and not sinking it into something YOU own.....

Btw I'm still "dreaming" and I hate when people try to ruin others' dreams for them

moˈloːn laˈbe!

Old 12-30-2008
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
I wrote a check for my boat, it was really cheap (a lot of people here make more in one week than what I paid for her).
I have a free slip (a delapitated dock with no luxuries, water or elec.) I pay the owner with manual labor.
I called around to 15 different yards to get the cheapest bottom paint job.
I bought used race sail b/c I wanted to race.

There are some expenses you can't get around, but those are few and far between. I sail in 75* sunny weather, and in 30+knt blow in 40* rain. If you want to sail, you will sail. If you want a damn vacation, then you'll take a vacation. Find me a chartered boat for $1200 that I can sail all year if I choose. I'm a boat owner, she's not much of a boat, but she's mine. Check out the cruising section of this board, some of us are planning a trip in the spring, and I didn't have to check on availability of vessels with anyone but myself. I also don't have to sign anything stating that I'll stay between points A and B. I like that freedom.
Old 12-30-2008

Quote:
The reality is that boat ownership isn't inexpensive, it's PRICELESS. I can't imagine being without one.
That, right there, is the answer.

moˈloːn laˈbe!

Old 12-30-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by N0NJY View Post
That, right there, is the answer.

I'll third that...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.