SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Surveyor for San Diego Area (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/50139-surveyor-san-diego-area.html)

thesnort 01-01-2009 01:30 PM

Surveyor for San Diego Area

After doing a search on the forum, I was surprised that I didn't find any recommendations for a surveyor in San Diego.
Anyone know a good one?

Heinous 03-30-2009 03:05 PM

I know this was a few months ago, but I am wondering if you found a good one. I am about to need one myself.

thesnort 03-30-2009 07:13 PM

No, but I'm going to ask around and use the list of accredited surveyors. Hey! Don't go buying my boat, now, ya hear!
I'll post back when I've narrowed the search down.
Good luck!

poopdeckpappy 03-30-2009 07:24 PM

Lester & Lester Marine survey
1272 Scott Street
San Diego, Ca. 92106

Leroy Lester NAMS-CMS

The reason I went with Leroy was his history in the field and the fact the broker said he was usually a deal breaker, meaning he was critical

Also Admiralty Marine for engine survey

thesnort 03-30-2009 07:36 PM

Tell us about Leroy! Why is he good?

Heinous 03-31-2009 02:11 PM

That's actually one that I called for quotes yesterday. I'm glad to hear that he's good.

Snort, hopefully we aren't eyeballing the same boats!

poopdeckpappy 03-31-2009 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesnort (Post 468542)
Tell us about Leroy! Why is he good?

Can't tell ya why he's good, hell, he could be the worst out there, I don't have a bad to compare him too, but having said that;

When I was in search of a surveyor, his name came up more the once, when I told the broker who I intended to use, the look on the brokers face was like he was watching his commission go out the door, said Leroy was known as a deal breaker and was overly critical. I figured if I was putting my wife and family on this boat that I was putting out hard earned cash for, then that's the person I want to survey it.

I felt he was thorough in his portion of the survey ( all but rigging and eng. ) made comments regarding the eng. & rigging which were supported later by a rigging & eng. survey. He left the impression during the survey of someone unbiased, he was not there to do anything other than his job regardless of the outcome. He made his report, told me his concerns and recommendation, I made the final judgement call.

Lester & Lester is but one of many and is/was only a suggestion

PS: I got the same kind of survey service from Admiralty Marine on the engine

I would use Lester & Lester again and I still use Admirialty Marine whenever needed

poopdeckpappy 03-31-2009 06:44 PM

And, if ya need pumpout service, detailing, bottom cleaning, rigging, mast work and dinghy work, I'll give you suggestion on those also

thesnort 03-31-2009 08:57 PM

Thanks, Pappy! That's a good enough recommendation for me.
Heinous- How many hulls does your boat have?

Heinous 03-31-2009 09:08 PM

just one