Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2009

eMKay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckgreenman View Post
I was almost thinking that too. It's hard to get an idea of scale form the pic but I was almost thinking they look too small to be anything else. Did you, by any chance, try to press on the bubbles with your thumbnail or anything?
I did, they are hard, but it's epoxy and the temperature was about 10f, so it may not tell me anything.

k1vsk: The pics are on the hull.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
The blisters are in the barrier coat, not a good circumstance. At the very least the barrier coat should be removed and redone, a messy, but not so expensive job. Before doing so someone needs to figure out why there's moisture under the barrier coat, the explanation to that condition could be a very expensive problem...
Old 01-07-2009

Gary1 is on a distinguished road
The top picture is a stress fracture, caused by something big, heavy, etc., falling on or hitting the glass. They usually go all the way down. They can be repaired, but it's a pain.

The third picture is just the paint cracking, and the only worry you'd have is getting it all off to repaint. Awlgrip has a good test for testing whether the paint is really stuck onto the substrate or not. You can find it on their website.

later,
Old 01-07-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary1 View Post
The top picture is a stress fracture, caused by something big, heavy, etc., falling on or hitting the glass. They usually go all the way down. They can be repaired, but it's a pain.

The third picture is just the paint cracking, and the only worry you'd have is getting it all off to repaint. Awlgrip has a good test for testing whether the paint is really stuck onto the substrate or not. You can find it on their website.

later,
I'm not talking about the cracking paint, that is obvious and easy to fix, I'm talking about the blisters.
Old 01-07-2009
Anything-Sailing Founder

ckgreenman will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
Quote:
Originally Posted by eMKay View Post
I'm not talking about the cracking paint, that is obvious and easy to fix, I'm talking about the blisters.
I'm thinking if they're hard it COULD just be that it's ice behind there. If you could get a hair dryer next to it and raise the temp of the area you would know for sure.. Otherwise I think the only way to be sure is hit it with an orbital

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Meet me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ignore Power = Currently Rebuilding
--
Old 01-12-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The want $35,000 for a 15 year old boat that is 27' LOA... yeah right... they're on crack. The damage looks to be impact damage from hitting something.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-12-2009
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Blisters don't look too scary but what would make me cautious is the brown colour edging some of the cracks. Could just be pond scum, or it could be oozing styrene which is exactly that colour. Given time, styrene will dissolve in water and will seep out of the roving which, needless to say, is a bad thing.

Not sure where you are, but if that boat were here in Toronto I would not think it would be worth much more than $7,500.00. There are too many good boats out there going cheaply right now.
Old 01-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormann View Post
Blisters don't look too scary but what would make me cautious is the brown colour edging some of the cracks. Could just be pond scum, or it could be oozing styrene which is exactly that colour. Given time, styrene will dissolve in water and will seep out of the roving which, needless to say, is a bad thing.

Not sure where you are, but if that boat were here in Toronto I would not think it would be worth much more than $7,500.00. There are too many good boats out there going cheaply right now.
The 270 is in Minnesota and is not worth my time to have shipped unless they take a ridiculously low offer from me. I only went to look at it because I was there visiting family.
Old 01-14-2009

mmazour is on a distinguished road
Sailormann, are there seriously mid 90's 26-28ft sailboats in Toronto for around $7500??
Old 01-15-2009
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Sailormann, are there seriously mid 90's 26-28ft sailboats in Toronto for around $7500??
I just had a look at the local buy/sell site: boat for sale
and it appears that there are few mid-90's boats for sale - Catalina, Hunter and MacGregor. Some of the MacGregors are in that price range. The Hunter and the Catalina are listed in the 20k's

My comment regarding the value is based on the apparent condition of the boat in the picture, coupled with what I read in the OP's narrative.

I think that after about 7 or 8 years the maintenance that a boat receives starts to become far more important than the actual age of the boat. By that time, there are some things that need tending to and some things that need replacing.

If that is taken care of properly, and a high level of maintenance is ongoing, the boat will hold its value and could even appreciate, however, the boat in the picture does not seem to have had much care. I think it would probably be closer to one of the boats found on this site - where $7,500.oo is considered a handsome sum:
YACHTWARE MARINE