Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2009

hvacfellow is on a distinguished road
Which boat to choose?

Hello all,

I have been sailing for 2 years, and my wife and I want to go cruising full time since I just sold my company. I have about $80,000 to spend on a boat, and it would just be the two of us. We're in our mid-40s, and would like to start along the east coast of Canada, then head down to the Caribbean, and eventually go through the Panama canal to the South Pacific and Australia. We'd like a boat that's 35-40' long and can be single handed by either of us if necessary.

Some traits I like:
- skeg mount rudders, more rugged
- Bristol bite keel
- full shower (for wife),
- 2 enclosed births

I like the setup of a Crealock 37 (a little pricey though)

Sooooo.....the plan is to spend a few years in the Carib and then make for Australia. Sailnet bloggers, your suggestions are worth gold to me!

Sailingdog: If the 1st paragraph looks familiar, well... it was posted by you on your thread which helps newbies to ask appropriately worded questions. Well done. As strange as it sounds, your 'example' question mirrors (fairly closely) my scenario!

One more question Sailingdog: you have over 30,000 posts in less that 3 years.....do you work?? Don't mean to be critical, just curious. I think you are gold to this forum. Thanks.

Regards,
HVACfellow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-2009

patrickrea is on a distinguished road
I would go looking for a Fast Passage 39. Seakindly, well built (In Canada no less), comfortable layout for cruising. I got a look at one this past Thnanksgiving (Canadian versio) on Georgian Bay. This particular boat had been from Vancouver to Australia twice and then through the Panama Canal up to the St. Lawrence to Toronto and then up to Midland.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1978 30' Hughes Northstar 1000
1964 20' Bertram Moppie
Old 01-06-2009
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Alberg 37. Sloop or Yawl. Cabot 36. Bayfield 36 or 40. Corbin 39.

Good Luck
Old 01-06-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
If you like the Crealock then perhaps the less pricey Tayana 37 would be to your taste and budget.
Old 01-06-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Hvac,

Welcome to Sailnet!

Unfortunately, the Crealock 37 does not have a separate shower stall, it's a convertible arrangement like the 31 and 34. You have to bump up to the Crealock 40 to get the enclosed shower stall. Also, you'd have to find one in pretty rough shape to make it under your budget -- don't forget that you'll need to reserve a fair bit of $$ for outfitting the boat.

I like the suggestion of the fast Passage 39 and Tayana 37. T37s sometimes have teak deck "issues", so that's a point of caution.

Some other similar designs are the Southern Cross boats, like the SC35 and SC39. Not sure about enclosed showers, though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 01-06-2009
Senior Moment

doubleeboy is on a distinguished road
Is it possible to get a Fast Passage 37 for $80K? I only know local prices on West Coast and I know our prices are higher than east coast,but 80K for a Fast Passage in good shape seems like a steal to me.

michael
Old 01-06-2009

patrickrea is on a distinguished road
I saw a couple of Fast Passage 39s on yachtworld for US$115,000. I am sure it can be negotiated these days. Depends on how badly they need to sell and what state the boat is in.

It's cruel to beat someone up on the price when they are desperate, but hey when you go to sell it, the next person's going to do the same to you.

1978 30' Hughes Northstar 1000
1964 20' Bertram Moppie
Old 01-06-2009

hvacfellow is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the advice. Hopefully I can negotiate some kind of compromise between what we want and what we can afford...THAT it seems is what we are ALL trying to do?

John RP: my thinking is in line with your advice...I could get a boat for 120k if I didn't have to touch it for 3 years. But alas, that just doesn't happen. So, I'm keepin 30-40k cause I AM going to have to touch it....aren't I?

Thanks Again for the gold.

Regards,
HVAC
Old 01-06-2009
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
Didja mean, by chance...

Brewer bite instead of "Bristol" bite?
Old 01-06-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvacfellow View Post
- Bristol bite keel
- 2 enclosed births
I don't know what the above are, otherwise you might look around at a few of the CS-36Ts in your neighborhood.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.