Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2009

ChesaScott is on a distinguished road
ebay-sailboats

Has anyone had a good deal buying through the new ebay motors program?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-2009
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Not on a vessel

I frequently check eBay's sailboat listings. I found the boat that I would like for sale there, offered at a much lower price than it is currently available on Yachtworld. Both prices are above what I am willing to pay, so I'll wait...

I did sell a motorcycle (Kawasaki GPz1100) through eBay. and I bought my current bike (Honda ST1100) through the site as well. The Honda came from South Dakota, and I had it shipped (unseen) to where I live in Mass. I was happy with both transactions.

- Ed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 01-06-2009
Francophobe

TheFrog is on a distinguished road
with caution

When I was boat shopping last year (small CB trailerable boats) I did bid on one via eBay motors. I didn't get it as the price got too rich for my blood. Here are a few points that I think you should consider.
1. the boat either needs to be near you or you need to have someone you trust who is near it to inspect it before you bid. In my case the boat was just down the road from my father, an experienced sailor.
2. If the boat is a good deal, the snipers will probably come out at the last minute. I watched the boat I bid on rise in price > 50% in the last 10 minutes of the auction as numerous sniping engines stepped in with bids. I suggest learning about sniping before you bid on a boat.

So, inspect it, know what it is worth, and bid accordingly. Of course, there is a big difference between using eBay to buy an 18' CB dinghy vs. a 45' keel boat. The money I bid was within my risk tolerance.

Quote:
Golf is an exercise in Scottish pointlessness for people who are no longer able to throw telephone poles at each other.
-Florence King

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
's signature.

Old 01-06-2009

okawbow is on a distinguished road
I've bought 2 sailboats in the past 3 years off ebay. The first was the exact boat I was looking for, at a bargain price because it was late October. I bought it sight-unseen 1000 miles from home. I price I paid was less than I could have sold the parts. The diesel was unkown as to condition. It turned out to be a great boat! The diesel fired up after minor maintenance. It's easily worth 4X what I have in it. The second boat was bought on a whim, because it was close by and very cheap.I sailed it a few times and even raced it, before selling it for a good profit. I emailed both sellers before bidding, and got their phone numbers. I asked many questions about the boats, and was satisfied as to what I was buying. I wouldn't buy so easily if it were a more expensive boat. Like they say; don't gamble more than you are willing to lose.
Old 01-06-2009

hertfordnc is on a distinguished road
If getting a good deal is the driving force and given where you live, I think you can do better on your own.

Right now somewhere on the Chesapeake a broker or a private seller is so desperate for a sale.

I'd say drive down the Eastern SHore and look around. Pick a lousy winter day. Tell the brokers you are only interested in really good deals.

Then there's the private seller who hung a sign on his boat back in August. He would be so happy to hear the phone ring.

I also think you can learn a lot during the hunt. Get the family involved. See what they like.

good luck
Old 01-06-2009
Montgomery 17

Perithead is on a distinguished road
I bought my first sailboat off of ebay, a Macgregor 25. I bought it sight unseen and it was about 3 hours away. I didn't really know much about sailing but I liked the pictures and boat didn't look to bad.

Turned out to be a rpetty good deal though.

Sailing Videos, Woodworking Videos and More!
Old 01-07-2009

ChesaScott is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the replies. I know about the last 10 minute increases on ebay. I have bought multiple other items but not a boat or car off of it. It doesn't feel that good to lose someting by a couple of cents 1 second before closing...
Old 01-07-2009

hertfordnc is on a distinguished road
You are not really "losing it by a couple if cents". It's psychological. If you had a higher bid they would have had a higher bid. The person that beats you by a few cents presumably has a higher bid over all. But the auction software ended the auction when your highest bid was exceeded.

In other words, if there is only one other bidder the difference between the high bid and the second highest bit will always be yery small.

You get a good deal on ebay by knowing what you want want and what it's worth and bidding accordingly.

Bid low don't watch the auction end.

But like I said, you can do better in person around the Chesapeake. Check craigslist religiously- several time a day.

The ebay price is closer to fair market value for a given thing in a particular area.
Old 01-16-2009

popeyeforearm is on a distinguished road
You can really good bargains by checking ebay, sometimes you see something really low but in the last couple of hours things start to get rough, even though you can win it at a fair price right there.

Old 01-16-2009
99% landlubber, 1% sailor

modul8 is on a distinguished road
I put items on my watch list when I see something interesting, but don't bother bidding until the last minute. This is typical of the average ebay user. No sense inflating the price early, unless you are intent on discouraging other bidders.