Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2009

hecate is on a distinguished road
I need a boat??

Hello all,
This is a kind of unorthodox post, but here goes. I am a 15 year old kid, and I really want to graduate from high school next year and circumnavigate the world the year after that. The only problem is that I do not have a boat suited to this kind of voyage. I was looking for something between 25 and 30 feet, with an inboard engine and a full keel. I also have somewhat limited resources, so Iím looking for something under 7,000 dollars and in the northeast United States. If anyone knows of any boats, please let me know. I am also looking pretty much daily on a bunch of used boat sites and sites like craigslist.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-2009
Montgomery 17

Perithead is on a distinguished road
hecate,

Circumnavigating the world is a big deal and not for the faint of heart or inexperienced.

Have you ever been sailing before?

How are you going to graduate highschool at 16 years old?

Lots of people want to go sailing and lots of people dream of sailing around the world. The fact is that its not as easy as it sounds. There are alot of dangers out there that can kill you, it happens alot.....

Wanting to sail around the world is great, go for it! But, you need to be sure have the proper experience to do so. Get yourself a boat for under 7 thousand (should be easy) and go sailing locally and on short weekend trips. If you have never been sailing before then you have no idea how scary it can be at times. So go out small time and just cruise a little bit.

But, I may be wrong and you could have a lot of experience and if so then forget what all I have said.

Also, be prepared for some not so nice comments about your wanting to circumnavigate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sailing Videos, Woodworking Videos and More!
Old 01-06-2009

mrwuffles is on a distinguished road
Hey hecate I am almost 15 and know exactly how you feel. I have been on these forums for a lil bit of time and would love to do what your dreaming of, but I have learned that inexperience can get you killed. What I recomend as many people will is too get yourself a small weekender if you are inexperienced and slowly work your way up. I practically taught myself and am now sailign a catalina 22 that i currently for sail in hopes of upgrading. this is my third sailboat and I have recently got a hobie for more fun and speed. If you are local I would love to have another person that loves sailing and would invite you on whatever sailboat I have this summer. Don't get put down by what these guys say they just don't want too see you on the front page of the NY times getting rescued by CG. Pm if you got any questions. And Perithead if he was a sophomore right now and was doin super good in school with all advanced classes and got his HS credit early he can graduate a year early, I have a family member that did it and my brother could have.
Old 01-08-2009

I am a very experienced sailor for someone that's 15. I have my own 25' boat right now, and I take her out myself quite a bit. I have quite a bit of seamanship training outside sailing as well, as I cox a rowing team. The only reason I can't take my boat around the world is because she has an outboard, and I would not be at all comfortable with that. Also, I am going to graduate high school at sixteen because I have enough credits to do so. I will do that whether or not I sail around the world. Also, I am going to get more experience offshore before I leave, it's just that I would like to have the boat for awhile before I attempt to sail around the world with her.
Old 01-08-2009

Quote:
If you are local I would love to have another person that loves sailing and would invite you on whatever sailboat I have this summer.
Thanks, and same here. Unfortunately I'm not local at all, but I appreciate it.
Old 01-08-2009
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
Join the Navy.

See the World!!
Old 01-08-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Hi Hecate,

There is a pretty good list of smaller, bluewater boats here:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruisi...boat-list.html

and here:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/buying...-cruisers.html

and here:

Atom Voyages | Voyages Aboard the Sailboat Atom -* Good Old Boats List - choosing a* small voyaging sailboat

Coincidentally, in the January '09 issue of Messing About in Boats is a classified advertisement for the private sale of a Kaiser 26, which is one of the boats on the lists above. I don't know much about this particular model, but Kaiser went on to design and build the Gale Force 34, which is a solid, globe-girding vessel, and well respected.

Unfortunately, there is no corresponding web-link to this advertisement. But it is located in coastal Maine. It's a 1972 model, full keel, with an inboard diesel, sounds to be fairly well equipped. It is a bit above your price range (ad says "$10K firm"), but might be worth a look anyway. If you can't find a copy of MAIB, and want the contact info, post a reply here and I'll send the phone number to you via PM.

Here's another thread with a lot of helpful suggestions about affordable boats:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/buying...-cruising.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 01-12-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by hecate View Post
I am a very experienced sailor for someone that's 15. I have my own 25' boat right now, and I take her out myself quite a bit. I have quite a bit of seamanship training outside sailing as well, as I cox a rowing team. The only reason I can't take my boat around the world is because she has an outboard, and I would not be at all comfortable with that. Also, I am going to graduate high school at sixteen because I have enough credits to do so. I will do that whether or not I sail around the world. Also, I am going to get more experience offshore before I leave, it's just that I would like to have the boat for awhile before I attempt to sail around the world with her.
Why does the fact that your boat is outboard powered make it unsuitable, considering that the Pardeys did much of their voyaging in a boat that was engineless. I think other factors are probably higher on the list as to whether the boat is suitable or not. BTW, what boat do you have?

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-12-2009

eMKay is on a distinguished road
Sounds like fun, I wish I attempted something like that right out of H.S. Instead I joined the USAF and got to see such exotic locations as Minot North Dakota! Anyway, there was a boat for sale here that would have been perfect, it was a Contessa 26 for $3900, and it was sound. So could easily be made ocean worthy for your budget (new rigging, repair sails, odds and ends). There are boats out there. I'm in Buffalo NY and will keep my eye open. Matter of fact the boat I'm talking about has not moved since it was sold, so it may go back up for sale. It's exactly like this boat...
BIKA | Sailing a Contessa 26 around the world