Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2009

av8av8r is on a distinguished road
Jaguar

Hi,

So I think I've settled on getting a cat. I really like the Robertson and Caine boats so on a recent trip to South Africa I was trying to organize a trip to the factory to have a look around. I did manage to see a few getting ready for the Cape to Bahia race but never really got to see the factory. However, I was talking to a broker down that way and went for a look at a Jaguar 36. I liked the boat but not the way it was set up (six cabin version). We put in a call to the builder of the Jaguars and within 30 minutes I was crawling all over the factory which had about a half dozen boats in various states of readiness. The owner (can't remember his name off the top of my head) was extremely nice and you have to remember that this was either Boxing day or the day after in South Africa. The whole country takes the month off and it is virtually impossible to get anything done. Anyway, I was really impressed with the the build quality and attention to detail and not to mention the professionalism and character of the folks there. I realize I was only there for an afternoon.

Does anybody have any experience with these boats? Internet research has given me some bad experiences but equal good experiences. Any opinions or thoughts about buying a boat from SA? The exchange rate is pretty unbeatable right now. I was quoted R1.7mil for the 36 and R2.5mil for the 42. The current exchange rate is 10 to 1.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2009

TXParrotHead is on a distinguished road
Av8av8r, are you a Jarhead? (i.e. current/former harrier pilot)
Old 01-08-2009

av8av8r is on a distinguished road
Former. Should probably change my screen name but it's the one I've used forever and trying to remember another one will be a challenge.
Old 11-06-2010

BeautifulDay is on a distinguished road
av8a8r:
I read your post on SailNet with interest. I recently came back from the Annapolis Sailboat show where I had the opportunity to look over the new 2011 Jaguar 39. Although, I am not completely sold on the looks of the boat, (kind of stubby looking) I found it to have some very desirable attributes:

Raised helm with hardtop;
Davits that lift the dinghy high up to open aft view for occupants in the cockpit;
Same floor level in cockpit as in saloon.
Refrigerator consisting of two large pull-out drawers;
Large separate shower in captains quarters;
Classy woodwork;
Built-in solar panel;

I was wondering if you had uncovered further information on the manufacturer and the build quality of this catamaran brand? I noticed one of the larger charter companies (SunSail) has invested heavily in this company.

Any information or pointing me to books or publications on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Frank