Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2010
restless41

Restless41 is on a distinguished road
I have a 1973 CT 41. As with all used boats, care and condition are critical. Main flaws that seem to be universal. If the deck leakes you will have plywood core damage-repairable if not too large. The cabin house on all but the latest ones are a thin glass skin over poor quality plywood. The mizzen mast step is not well executed and will need to be re built. The hollow wooden spars are fine if cared for. Generally a lot of boat for the money and comfortable in a chop. A bit faster than you might expect in a 28,000 fat girl. Shorten sail in a blow to keep the ride comfortable or don't if you like to hear the rigging hum and don't need sleep.

Last edited by Restless41; 10-15-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2010
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by XTR View Post
I seem to recall that I saw somewhere that the Formosa yard was about the lowest quality of the Taiwan yards in that era.
there were few yards and some different families making these boats. there is a lot of bad rap given to these boats--- the decks leaked-- but that isnt a big deal-- mine the decks were removed and glassed over. hans christian decks leak,also-- guess what- they , too were and are , made in taiwan. in , yes, he same yards used to build formosas and ct and hardin sea wolf.
most folks donot know how to handle teak wood decking or other areas. therefore the boats got bad mouthed. there are many stories about many boats. doesnt mean the boat is bad. these boats may have flaw or two--by this time they are ironed out -- with mine-- the wrong person did refitting of the boat-- some stuff was done well and some not done well.
in all older boats there are problems with chain plates, tanks, decks, what have you. they are older boats. would you pick up a 1955 chevy and expect it to get you across country-- before a restoration???
the ply wood used in the creation of these boats was phillipine mahogany. it rots easily ..like pine. is soft. is replaceable.
these are good sturdy boats that can handle seas and winds. they can be had for lots of money or for little money. you can put into them a lot or a little money. when everything works, these are awesome boats.

mine is 1976. my plywood core is perfect. my coach house is perfect. yeah, my windows leak--lol--- ports dont. i need chain plates-- hay, boat is 1976 built-- this is time for that in any boat. i love mine and i wouldnt hesitate to sail her anywhere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by zeehag; 10-15-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook