Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2010
restless41

Restless41 is on a distinguished road
I have a 1973 CT 41. As with all used boats, care and condition are critical. Main flaws that seem to be universal. If the deck leakes you will have plywood core damage-repairable if not too large. The cabin house on all but the latest ones are a thin glass skin over poor quality plywood. The mizzen mast step is not well executed and will need to be re built. The hollow wooden spars are fine if cared for. Generally a lot of boat for the money and comfortable in a chop. A bit faster than you might expect in a 28,000 fat girl. Shorten sail in a blow to keep the ride comfortable or don't if you like to hear the rigging hum and don't need sleep.

Last edited by Restless41; 10-15-2010 at 11:39 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2010
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by XTR View Post
I seem to recall that I saw somewhere that the Formosa yard was about the lowest quality of the Taiwan yards in that era.
there were few yards and some different families making these boats. there is a lot of bad rap given to these boats--- the decks leaked-- but that isnt a big deal-- mine the decks were removed and glassed over. hans christian decks leak,also-- guess what- they , too were and are , made in taiwan. in , yes, he same yards used to build formosas and ct and hardin sea wolf.
most folks donot know how to handle teak wood decking or other areas. therefore the boats got bad mouthed. there are many stories about many boats. doesnt mean the boat is bad. these boats may have flaw or two--by this time they are ironed out -- with mine-- the wrong person did refitting of the boat-- some stuff was done well and some not done well.
in all older boats there are problems with chain plates, tanks, decks, what have you. they are older boats. would you pick up a 1955 chevy and expect it to get you across country-- before a restoration???
the ply wood used in the creation of these boats was phillipine mahogany. it rots easily ..like pine. is soft. is replaceable.
these are good sturdy boats that can handle seas and winds. they can be had for lots of money or for little money. you can put into them a lot or a little money. when everything works, these are awesome boats.

mine is 1976. my plywood core is perfect. my coach house is perfect. yeah, my windows leak--lol--- ports dont. i need chain plates-- hay, boat is 1976 built-- this is time for that in any boat. i love mine and i wouldnt hesitate to sail her anywhere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41,ahoomail cruising

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by zeehag; 10-16-2010 at 12:30 AM.
Old 10-13-2014

dennymusic is on a distinguished road
Re: TaiWan Turkeys=not accurate

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsusan View Post
Fair Winds, david-Kemah Texas
David. I know this is a very old topic. I wanted to send you a personal message through this forum but since I'm a new member, I haven't met my minimum post to topics yet to be allowed to send personal messages to members yet.

I saw this post by you and you mentioned you are in Kemah. I lived on my Gulfstar 37 at Portofino in Kemah for three years, 1997 thru 2000. I haven't owned it since 2000 nor lived on a boat since but I am returning to the sailing life soon.

I'm wanting a Formosa 41 from the 70's. A nice one. No major projects. Decks must have teak removed and cabin tops rebuilt. There aren't any for sale around here but I'll ship it/sail it here if I have to. Wanted to contact you and maybe you can give me some direction on a few things sailing related, boats and marina's.

Call me when you can.

Denny.
(281) 734-0225.
Old 10-13-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: TaiWan Turkeys=not accurate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennymusic View Post
David. I know this is a very old topic. I wanted to send you a personal message through this forum but since I'm a new member, I haven't met my minimum post to topics yet to be allowed to send personal messages to members yet.

I saw this post by you and you mentioned you are in Kemah. I lived on my Gulfstar 37 at Portofino in Kemah for three years, 1997 thru 2000. I haven't owned it since 2000 nor lived on a boat since but I am returning to the sailing life soon.

I'm wanting a Formosa 41 from the 70's. A nice one. No major projects. Decks must have teak removed and cabin tops rebuilt. There aren't any for sale around here but I'll ship it/sail it here if I have to. Wanted to contact you and maybe you can give me some direction on a few things sailing related, boats and marina's.

Call me when you can.

Denny.
(281) 734-0225.
A few months ago I sold mine which had nice new aluminum masts, beautifully rebuilt cabintop and water and fuel tanks were replaced with stainless. Only big project left was the chainplates which always surveyed well but I never trusted.

Good luck finding your Formosa!

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 10-14-2014

Re: formosa 41' ketch need advice

If you don't mind, I'd be interested to know what you got for it. I guess you had an ad that still may exist? Description so I can get a better feel of what they go for in various conditions. Got any pics of it? I love looking at everyone's 41's. They're so beautiful. I have saved and categorized a slew of pics of them. I can't get enough of them.

There are a few for sale around North America. A few farther away too. Most of them I see are all over the price range, from $40K to just over $100K. And with a wide range of descriptions of their conditions, which doesn't surprise me though. I know the list of serious items to look for. You did several things already on that list,,, tanks, changing to aluminum mast,,,,, rebuilding cabin top,,

The other stuff is; switch teak decks to fiberglass, check engine close, wood rot, bow sprint, rudder, """electrical""".
Old 10-16-2014

Thanks David. (I can't reply to your PM as I am new here and have a quota to meet first)

Sorry for the delay in replying. Well I hope I can find a nice one without breaking my bank, and back. Ha.

Thanks for the tips. I already know what to look out for on these boats but I didn't know about the link. I have a broker and sent her an email about this. She's under the weather right now pretty bad with her health but did say she'll get the list soon.

Thank you for responding.
Old 10-17-2014
Closet Powerboater

Hopefully you can find a good one. Where are you located? Id you're in my neck of the woods I could go kick the tires of one with you and see if she's any good.

Med

Old 3 Weeks Ago
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennymusic View Post
.... Got any pics of it? I love looking at everyone's 41's. They're so beautiful. I have saved and categorized a slew of pics of them. I can't get enough of them.
I couldn't figure out how to send you pictures by PM, so here they are for you and for public viewing. Shortcomings aside, the Formosa 41 sure is a beautiful boat....

MedSailor

The Following User Says Thank You to MedSailor For This Useful Post:
Manannan (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

leayteakyyachtclub is a yahoo group with all the diagrams and info you ever want to know. go there.. write an email to the group to introduce yourself.
ask questions.
the linky in my signature is the email address for them.
Attached Thumbnails
formosa 41' ketch need advice-10712703_853395224672670_5056079224937022571_n.jpg   formosa 41' ketch need advice-10352767_786186684726858_9067806307239025893_n.jpg   formosa 41' ketch need advice-dsc_0112.jpg   formosa 41' ketch need advice-user156680_pic9650_1399753455.jpg  

formosa 41,ahoomail cruising

Last edited by zeehag; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:10 PM.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Wow. Beautiful boat Med.

Well, as much as I have fallen in love with these 41er's, I just made a major decision change last night. I decided to go with a Vagabond 42. I need the room and that kind of layout down below because I will be living on the boat. I prefer the outside of these 41er's though. I wanted a rear cockpit really bad. It's been tough to give that up but,,,, that's boats for ya.

Also, I had thought about a Vagabond 47 but I talked to an owner of one recently and I began to quickly realize that the 47 is way to big to work solo, coming in and out of the slip all the time. I hate depending on other "earthlings" for anything. Upkeep, initial purchase cost, larger boat slip fee and insurance are pretty high too. I might get a 47 when I win the lottery. And if the winnings are really big, I'll get a Formosa 41 also, just to play around in the bay with on the weekends. : )

Med, thanks for all your help and the pics too.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.