Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2009

feroni is on a distinguished road
formosa 41' ketch need advice

Hello
Iím seeking for a good offshore vessel, capable of crossing the Atlantic, I really like Formosa 41í ketch she seams to be a beautiful boat, but I know little about her seaworthiness, I could really use an advice.
Thank you
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2009

chopsy is on a distinguished road
Feroni,
I guess I can't speak to the Formosa 41 exactly, but I had an Island Trader 41. Both William Garden ketches off the same plans. THe builders in the Far East all used the same plans to make many brands. Don't know what year you are looking at, but I'd say the closer to the mid 70's the better. These were strong built boats that can take a lot of serious beating. THe hulls are extremely thick in the best places. In the thinnest point in my hull, to install a transducer I found 3/4" thick solid fiberglass. No core. My ketch sailed very well in big swells and was a comfortable ride for me and the ship's cat. THe living space was big (I am 6'3", 230) and had a nice shower. It was fun to sail. at about 16+ tons, you won't be winning any races, but racing sailboats is silly anyway. At a rough anchorage, she was always comfortable when the others were moving in the middle of the night to find a smoother ride. She carried a lot of fuel, water, and provisions.
So, if you can do without all that "High Tech" BS that finds it's way onto a boat these days. And you like a traditional looking and acting sailboat, I'd say she be fine for long distance cruising without having to be a footballer or TV Chef to afford one.
Cheers, paul
Old 01-10-2009

Hi
I know that Formosa and CT catches are almost the same if not identical, I like this boats exectly for their traditional look, I look at those plastic boats build nowadays and to tell you the truce they make me sick. I agree with you about racing, it is foolish, I want to cruise and enjoy myself wile doing it.
There are many Formosa’s and CT’s on yachtworld, and they are well equipped for their price, you see, I come from Rep. of Georgia which is on the Black Sea coast, So my plan is to fly to east coast of America buy one of this boats and sail my way back home, I know it sounds like a crazy plan, but boats are more expansive in Europe, so I decided to buy in US.
I am not a very experienced sailor myself but I plan to hire a skipper who will help me with the voyage, only thing is that I have now idea how much will it cost to hire a skipper.
Do you have any idea about the skipper prices? its about 6000 mile voyage
Old 01-10-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Suggest you read here:
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/buying...html#post48037

My own view is that many of these boats have huge problems waiting for a new buyer to fix them. To plan to find one in good shape and quickly sail back to Europe is unlikely in my opinion. There is a reason they are priced so cheaply however pretty they look.
The cheapest way and safest way to get a boat back to Europe is to ship it on Dockwise or similar freight service.
Old 01-11-2009
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
I've read that some years of these boats had hollow wooden masts and wooden spars that could be a problem, and that many had problems with the teak deckings. I was attracted to these boats at one time.
Old 01-11-2009

I read the link you gave me, to listen to those guys none of these boats are worth buying, so what should a guy like me should do if he likes an old stile boats and comfortable ones, also seaworthy? Do you guys have any ideas what make should I buy?
Old 01-11-2009

soulfinger is on a distinguished road
I'm no expert, but if you like that type of boat, you might want to look at Hans Christian or Tayana.
Old 01-11-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
You are trying to buy a "salty looking", blue water capable boat, in good condition, for a really cheap price. While there are plenty of salty looking boats that are blue water capable...good condition and cheap price don't go together.
See the blue water boat list sticky thread here:
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/buying...ry-2008-a.html
Post #'s 6&8 should give you a fairly complete list of ocean going boats.
Find some in your size range and take a look on yachtworld.com to see what appeals to you and what can be had within your budget.
Old 04-07-2009

trkcomprebuilder is on a distinguished road
formosa sailboat plans

does any one have rigging chart for the woodenor plans....do not have the original mast and mizzen but need specs....thanks mike
Old 04-07-2009

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
Formosa 41 -Teak decks = rotten plywood deck core, Chainplates of very low quality "stainless" steel invariably corroded. No structural support under the mizzen mast on the ones I have seen (I can't believe they are all like that). Mainmast sits on a block of lumber apparently thrown in the keel sump. Very inconsistently built, no two are the same.