Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2002

CharleyB is on a distinguished road
older C & C''''s

I purchased a 1979 C&C 36 in mid summer and have been extremely pleased with it. We have a 150 genoa on a roller furling and have not felt overwhelmed.

For general information on these boats, the C&C photo album web-site is a great resource. The only caution I would impart is that the decks and hulls on most of these boats are balsa cored, so make sure your surveyor looks carefully for moisture problems.

Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2002

mogul11 is on a distinguished road
older C & C''''s

Gang: What are your thoughts on the later 90''s version of the 34+? They are fast and comfortable with lots of room. The PHRF in the 80''s seems real nice on long sails. Not going to use it in the oceans but more in the great lakes and coastal regions.
Old 09-23-2002

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
older C & C''''s

Jeff,

You made a very interesting comment about the 30. I know there was the Redwing 30 designed by C&C and built by Hinterhoeller, then the C&C 30 Mk I, there was a Mk II in late 80''s as well which is quite a bit different and then of course the Mega. Also there were minor changes to the Mk I sometime in the later 70''s (I think somewhere in the mid 500''s in their hull numbers).

Please elaborate on the 30 as to which model and what in particular makes this one of the poorer C&C designs. The people I know that own 30s (Mark I) all love them. This is the first I have heard negative about these earlier C&Cs.

Regards,

Mike
Old 09-23-2002
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
older C & C''''s

I am on the C&C owners list and there is a wealth of information there, all you have to do is ask. The response time is very fast and I have never had a question go unanswered. C&C owners really seem to stick together and help each other out. You can join the list through sailnet.

CNCPhotoalbum.com (as mentioned above) is also a great site to get C&C info, owners manuals, etc.

Perhaps jeffh was refering to the Redwing as opposed to the 30. Where are you jeff? All of us 30Mk1 owners are waiting to hear why every one but you thinks it''s a great boat )

Rob
Old 09-26-2002

svdiversion is on a distinguished road
older C & C''''s

Where did the negative comments about the C&C 30''s come from? The MK I''s came out in 1972 and nearly 1000 were produced (second only in production to the 27). The Mega, which was introduced in 1977 sold approx. 150 boats and according to George Cuthbertson -- "The market refused to embrace Mega for 3 reasons: unorthodox appearance, mediocre performance and many warranty problems". The Mega was not an "abortion" - it just wasn''t done right.

The C&C 30 MKI is a fantastic boat and is truly a performance cruiser. Comfortable for 2 people to cruise for a couple of weeks at a time. And on the race course - you''ll see her transom more than her bow. C&C tried to phase out the 30 only to find that it was a popular model & started production again. From 1972 to 1982 only 44 engineering changes were made - so it must have been designed right the first time. And they were built at a time when quality was a prime concern. Look at some of the early 30s and if they have been maintained, they are still in pristine condition.

The Redwing 30s were Hinterhoeller designs and were taken over by C&C but they are a different breed. The Redwing 35 was essentially became the C&C 35 MKI.

You''re stepping on thin ice calling a Landfall a ''landfill''. They were built on a ''custom'' basis. So if you find one stripped, that''s the way it was built or has been modified by previous owners.

Why not join the C&C email discussion group here on Sailnet. Post your same remarks and see how fast you get positive answers about our ''classic'' boats.

Stu
Owner - C&C Photo Album
http://www.cncphotoalbum.com
Old 09-26-2002

robwalten is on a distinguished road
older C & C''''s

Stu really summarizes well - anyone who knows the older boats from the 70''s knows that the C&C was likely the premier builder of production boats in N.America(followed by Pearson) and C&C''s 25/27/30/35 lineup are all "plastic classics". When C&C marketing felt the need to intro new designs like their 24/26/29 - the market by and large turned their backs and demanded that C&C keep the classics in production. These boats all remain competitive PHRF racers even today and are bargains when found in good condition. Jeff H. has either been mis-informed, or has confused the C&C 30 Mk1 with some other design. Visit the C&C Photo Album site(managed by Stu)and IMHO the best of its kind, or join the SailNet C&C email list - without a doubt the best of its kind. Yeah, I''m a little passionate - but I don''t know a C&C owner who isn''t. And I don''t even own one of the above "classics"!
Old 09-26-2002
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
older C & C''''s

Stu,

Lets get something strait here, jeffh did not call the Landfall the "landfill". I said that I had READ that they are refered to as that. I was not making a judgement, just quoting someone else.

I will not risk using the persons name because I could be wrong, but the I believe the person who wrote the "Landfill" remark is a highly respected sailor and author who used to deliver them for the charter industry. In any event, just because someone say''s it, doesn''t make it true.

I did my research before buying my C&C 30MK1/GREATESTBOATEVERBUILT and in my research I did find some negative comments on the Mega and I did read the Landfall comment. Those are the only negative things I read, and I read everything I could find. Everything else I read was full of praise for C&C.

I also get many positive comments about my 30MK1 The first question anyone who knows anything about sailing asks me is "Where do you race out of"? Answer: I don''t race... Yet.

Rob
1972 C&C30Mk1
Pawcatuck CT
Old 09-27-2002

jtebbens is on a distinguished road
older C & C''''s

Stu wrote: "The Mega, which was introduced in 1977 sold approx. 150 boats and according to George Cuthbertson -- "The market refused to embrace Mega for 3 reasons: unorthodox appearance, mediocre performance and many warranty problems". The Mega was not an "abortion" - it just wasn''t done right."

Now Stu, I can''t let that go without a few comments from a present owner...

When you run into one of those 150 owners with a 20 year old boat, most have addressed the execution, come to grips with the appearance and the fact that it had poor market performance, back when they were introduced, doesn''t matter so much. Time has tested the engineering and found it good.

Elsewhere in this thread there has been critique of various sailplans. One of the reasons I bought mine was ease of single handing, with the big main and fractional rig. Light weight and good speed don''t hurt either. Making the decision today, it might be different, but still C&C.

As has been said several times in this thread, go to the C&C lists on Sailnet or Stu''s photo album, and you''ll get an honest, well rounded critique (despite the fierce loyalty to the marque) of any C&C that you might be considering.

Jon Tebbens
Old 10-03-2002

bporter is on a distinguished road
older C & C''''s

Just as an FYI - there is a C&C 37 for sail in the next marina down from my yacht club. I don''t think it''s a brokerage boat since he is advertising himself locally. Price is in the 50''s, I don''t remember exactly.

I sold a 1983 C&C 37 with a centerboard last year. I really like the boat, and my wife loved it. We sold it and bought a more snappy performaer with a more private interior layout (3 cabin), but we did not sell it because we dislike the boat.

I think my wife still likes it better than the new 40.7, mostly because she loved the more classic lines on it, and the galley is bigger.

It was a rock solid boat that sailed well. Didn''t like the centerboard much but that was my fault, not the boat''s. Well built all around, and pretty responsive. Room enough for a few adults short term, although more than four for a long weekend could get onerous. We slept six+ adults on it for an offshore race weekend once.

Definitely an excellent value for the money. I sold mine for 60K.

If you want more info on the boat that''s for sail around here, contact me and I will get the owner''s number for you.
Old 11-12-2002

dnr is on a distinguished road
older C & C''''s

BPorter,
I am interested in the C&C 37 for sale near you. I would also appreciate any comments/advice you have as a C&C owner.
Thanks